SportsWrath

Daboll vs Martindale

Mr. P

Mike Sando of The Athletic reports that Daboll’s use of the “Patriots Way” behind closed doors is what has led to a falling out with defensive coordinator Wink Martindale, despite what they and the players would have you believe.

“Daboll learned from Bill and Nick, and we all remember Nick undressing Lane Kiffin and Daboll himself at Alabama,” a veteran coach who knows members of the Giants’ staff told Sando. “A guy as established as Wink says, ‘You can yell at the young coaches, but not me.'”

ESPN’s Jordan Raanan, while appearing on the latest episode of Talkin’ Giants, also acknowledged a rift between Daboll and Martindale.

“This is just my opinion on this but he gets on Wink and he gets on him hard. He’s all over him,” Raanan said. “When you’re on this guy and you’re riding him hard, and you’re crushing his defense and questioning the things he’s doing, and the guy is looking across to the other side and he’s like, ‘Your offense is 32nd in the league. We can’t even move the ball. . . And you’re sitting here MFing me and giving me a hard time.’ That’s how the tension builds and that’s why we’re at where we’re at.”

Raanan also reports that others have acknowledged that Daboll is a “hard guy to work for.” “That is something that’s come out,” Raanan said. “I got a text yesterday from somebody out of complete nowhere that said (that).”

The bottom line here is that when Jay Glazer reports something, you can take that something to the bank. The issues between Daboll and Martindale are very real and it will come to a head sooner rather than later.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/11/30/new-york-giants-brian-daboll-patriots-way-approach-doesnt-fly-wink-martindale/

Raanan also reports that others have acknowledged that Daboll is a “hard guy to work for.” “That is something that’s come out,” Raanan said. “I got a text yesterday from somebody out of complete nowhere that said (that).”

Could be totally made up or not. I wish these pricks would name their sources. 

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Mike Sando of The Athletic reports that Daboll’s use of the “Patriots Way” behind closed doors is what has led to a falling out with defensive coordinator Wink Martindale, despite what they and the players would have you believe.

“Daboll learned from Bill and Nick, and we all remember Nick undressing Lane Kiffin and Daboll himself at Alabama,” a veteran coach who knows members of the Giants’ staff told Sando. “A guy as established as Wink says, ‘You can yell at the young coaches, but not me.'”

ESPN’s Jordan Raanan, while appearing on the latest episode of Talkin’ Giants, also acknowledged a rift between Daboll and Martindale.

“This is just my opinion on this but he gets on Wink and he gets on him hard. He’s all over him,” Raanan said. “When you’re on this guy and you’re riding him hard, and you’re crushing his defense and questioning the things he’s doing, and the guy is looking across to the other side and he’s like, ‘Your offense is 32nd in the league. We can’t even move the ball. . . And you’re sitting here MFing me and giving me a hard time.’ That’s how the tension builds and that’s why we’re at where we’re at.”

The bottom line here is that when Jay Glazer reports something, you can take that something to the bank. The issues between Daboll and Martindale are very real and it will come to a head sooner rather than later.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/11/30/new-york-giants-brian-daboll-patriots-way-approach-doesnt-fly-wink-martindale/

Jay Glazer has always been the number one source on the Giants going back years.  I have seen these kind of dynamics so many times.  This kind of friction is familiar to me.  Many times I have had to tell bosses to back off with the yelling stuff as that may work with others... it does not work with me.  I understand that people need to blow off steam... but take up a hobby don't yell like Belichik because that guy has props that you don't.  Wink would take more from a Belichik and not someone trying to emulate him.  Wink is gone after the season is done... and he should end up in the booth at this point.  He has accomplished so much... the booth or a cushy college job somewhere, would be my best thoughts for him.  Knowing all of this Daboll better produce next year because the Belichik curse is all over the Giants and we don't need another Belichik clone who cannot produce here.

1 hour ago, boohyah said:

Parcells called out bellichek a lot.

Yep... these kind of crucibles bring this out in people.  Parcells needed Belichik and vice versa.  They were both architects of that defense and the first two Super Bowls here in Giants land.

48 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Wink leave regardless of the good relationship or not.

Kafka is all but gone. 

Shame but this was a likely possibility with a guy like Wink.

For sure this dynamic is written in stone.  Wink could last a season or two more if they were going deep into the playoffs and winning a Supe or two.  On a losing team the back biting and fighting is inevitable.  Both Daboll and Wink need a break from one another.

36 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Burning your sources is a quick way out of that career.  

For sure... Jay Blazer and the like know what they are doing.  We don't have to know the source now.  The source will probably come out when it is safe and/or never.  We just have to read the tea leaves right now, and the tea leaves are telling me that there has been a clear break.  People (meaning them) have to move on from this point.  That means that Daboll will ease Wink out.

Didn't Daboll himself say after the win there wasn't anything between him and Wink, even gave him the game ball. 

Media just stirring shit up in an already stored season lol 

Honestly though Winks contract is up at years end eh? So he may be leaving regardless, unless he wants to stay which would be great. 

11 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Didn't Daboll himself say after the win there wasn't anything between him and Wink, even gave him the game ball. 

Media just stirring shit up in an already stored season lol 

Honestly though Winks contract is up at years end eh? So he may be leaving regardless, unless he wants to stay which would be great. 

well of course Daboll said that.  

I honestly trust Jay Glazer’s reporting. 

52 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

well of course Daboll said that.  

I honestly trust Jay Glazer’s reporting. 

Jay has a sterling track record going back to the Glory Days of LT.  I would read all of his articles.  This is true to life... and there have been other DC's here other than Wink (we had Lombardi as a DC) and we have had other coaches other than Daboll.  Neither is irreplaceable.