SportsWrath

Well, that didn't take long.

Sephiroth

3 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

I think - by mid-season if there is no improvement from Neal - bust talk can commence.

2 hours ago, gmenroc said:

It already has.  

There's not really any excuses for Neal this season.  Last year he was learning, needed to drop some weight, etc.  This year it's becoming obvious that he just doesn't have the feet to play tackle in the NFL.  I'm really rooting for the kid;  he works hard and is obviously a student of the game but just has physical limitations. 

That being said, I think he can be an excellent guard.  He's definitely strong enough but looks like he belongs in a phone booth as opposed to out on the edge. 

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

There's not really any excuses for Neal this season.  Last year he was learning, needed to drop some weight, etc.  This year it's becoming obvious that he just doesn't have the feet to play tackle in the NFL.  I'm really rooting for the kid;  he works hard and is obviously a student of the game but just has physical limitations. 

That being said, I think he can be an excellent guard.  He's definitely strong enough but looks like he belongs in a phone booth as opposed to out on the edge. 

I agree bro... tackle requires strength, speed, good hands, quick feet and the ability to handle a top ranked pass rusher by yourself 80% of the time.  Busted tackles make for good guards.  He needs to be covered on both sides IMHO.

1 hour ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

I agree bro... tackle requires strength, speed, good hands, quick feet and the ability to handle a top ranked pass rusher by yourself 80% of the time.  Busted tackles make for good guards.  He needs to be covered on both sides IMHO.

Agreed. 

Also one thing I noticed... his hands and feet don't work together in unison, which is troubling.  Either he's got great hand punch and placement and his feet fucking suck, or he gets to his spot but doesn't punch. 

Neal's biggest issue is balance.  If he leans forward, he gets thrown down and run around.  Leans back, he gets bull rushed.  Definitely better suited for G at this point, but with the quicker DTs in the league...he still needs to focus on his feet and hand placement...as well as stance.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

Agreed. 

Also one thing I noticed... his hands and feet don't work together in unison, which is troubling.  Either he's got great hand punch and placement and his feet fucking suck, or he gets to his spot but doesn't punch. 

Jesus...not good in a tackle.  As CD writes his balance is off too... his weight is too far forward.  He does things too much on tippy toes... his Achilles on both ankles will be blown soon.

1 hour ago, RandolphScott said:

Neal is a guard 

Oh boy... he is a guard.  Well I guess he is still relying on his college game and not NFL technique.  Every level players have to adjust... from HS to College and from College to the Pros.  The most successful ones can play at all three levels.  I was a good HS player... would have been a decent college player... and would have made the pros.... had two childhood friends who made the pros.  They were QB's at Bayside HS in the late 70s early 80s.  The Harmon Brothers... the older one was converted to DB and played for the 69ers... the younger one became a half back and a third down back Ronnie Harmon who was my contemporary and was a great ball player.

21 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Jesus...not good in a tackle.  As CD writes his balance is off too... his weight is too far forward.  He does things too much on tippy toes... his Achilles on both ankles will be blown soon.

WAY too much leaning and bending at the waist.  Dude's balance has always sucked. 

55 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Oh boy... he is a guard.  Well I guess he is still relying on his college game and not NFL technique.  Every level players have to adjust... from HS to College and from College to the Pros.  The most successful ones can play at all three levels.  I was a good HS player... would have been a decent college player... and would have made the pros.... had two childhood friends who made the pros.  They were QB's at Bayside HS in the late 70s early 80s.  The Harmon Brothers... the older one was converted to DB and played for the 69ers... the younger one became a half back and a third down back Ronnie Harmon who was my contemporary and was a great ball player.

You see it all the time and especially within Alabama offensive lineman. 

These guys are just not very good professional football players. Neal can’t handle speed. After this season the experiment of him at RT needs to end.

Kick him inside and he’ll be the best guard since Snee and Ron Stone 

3 hours ago, RandolphScott said:

Neal is a guard 

I feel the same way.  Move him to LG next to Thomas and with the rookie center and McKethan at RG, stick bpa on the roster at RT and give them help from the RB or TE… 

4 hours ago, RandolphScott said:

Thomas, Ezedeu, JMS, McKeathen and Neal should be the line going further

Kick Neal to RG next season, too late to do it now 

The problem is, Ezeudu sucks at G, and he's nothing special at tackle either. 

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

His feet are really good though, I like his upside. He didn’t embarrass himself at tackle.

He didn't embarrass himself, I'll give him that. He's actually looked much better at tackle than guard, but he's nothing special at either spot.

On 9/25/2023 at 3:09 PM, RandolphScott said:

You see it all the time and especially within Alabama offensive lineman. 

These guys are just not very good professional football players. Neal can’t handle speed. After this season the experiment of him at RT needs to end.

Kick him inside and he’ll be the best guard since Snee and Ron Stone 

I agree... also we need to stop experimenting with offensive linemen.  If they are a project... keep them inside as a center or guard.  Never at tackle.

5 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

I agree... also we need to stop experimenting with offensive linemen.  If they are a project... keep them inside as a center or guard.  Never at tackle.

Here’s the thing, Neal wasn’t really an experiment. At one point during the process both he and Kayvon were talked about going number 1 overall.

Just one of those things where Neal can’t handle the NFL speed of things. Same thing is happening with the kid drafted right before him, too.