SportsWrath

It's way too early to get my hopes up...but...

Treehugger

...I've got my hopes up for a really solid secondary this season. The rookies look good, especially Hawkins.

Tre Hawkins gets first-team reps

Rookie cornerback Tre Hawkins III, a sixth-round pick, has been impressive during the early part of camp.

“He’s done a nice job with the opportunities that he’s given,” Daboll said. “He’ll get some more chances.”

On Monday, Hawkins was given the opportunity to run with the first-team defense during several of the 11-on-11 periods.

On one red zone play near the end of practice Hawkins forced a Daniel Jones throwaway by blanketing Darius Slayton.

Hawkins did give up a touchdown to Parris Campbell on a deep ball from Jones, but Hawkins had excellent position and was beaten only by the combination of a great throw from Jones and catch by Campbell.

The Giants looked at a lineup with rookies Hawkins and Deonte Banks on the outside and Adoree’ Jackson in the slot. We will have to see if that is something we see more of going forward.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/7/31/23813578/giants-training-camp-tre-hawkins-darnay-holmes-more-takeaways-from-mondays-practice

I am sure Banks will come around, but a little concerning he is on level with Hawkins...maybe that just speaks to Hawkins.

I like moving towards depth in secondary.  Still want another reliable guy...not sure we are all there yet.  The rooks have to prove it when it counts.  If Banks, Hawkins and Jackson stay healthy...with Robinson, Flott, and Holmes in support...I like it.

2 hours ago, gmenroc said:

I am sure Banks will come around, but a little concerning he is on level with Hawkins...maybe that just speaks to Hawkins.

I like moving towards depth in secondary.  Still want another reliable guy...not sure we are all there yet.  The rooks have to prove it when it counts.  If Banks, Hawkins and Jackson stay healthy...with Robinson, Flott, and Holmes in support...I like it.

I'm not worried about Banks.

DB is the hardest position to transition from the NFL. 

10 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I'm not worried about Banks.

DB is the hardest position to transition from the NFL. 

My point was more the comparison between 1st and 6th rounders...if Hawkins is picking up quickly, why isn't Banks?

But yeah, I'm not worried either after a week of camp...just something that makes you wonder.

14 hours ago, gmenroc said:

My point was more the comparison between 1st and 6th rounders...if Hawkins is picking up quickly, why isn't Banks?

But yeah, I'm not worried either after a week of camp...just something that makes you wonder.

I'm just happy it looks like we might have found a starter in the 6th.

22 hours ago, gmenroc said:

who have they each been covering?

9 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

Hawkins just moved up to practicing with the 1s, while Banks has been there since the first practice. 

Haven’t read the practice reports since that was announced though…. 

Believe it's Hawkins/Banks/Flott on the outside with Jackson playing the slot. 

Aug 2

https://theathletic.com/4741249/2023/08/01/new-york-giants-tre-hawkins-training-camp/

It’s time to start taking rookie cornerback Tre Hawkins’ fast start to camp more seriously. The sixth-round pick showed enough in the first four practices to earn first-team reps in the past two practices.

Earning first-team reps is one thing. Making plays when given the opportunity is another, and Hawkins delivered a strong practice Tuesday.

Hawkins broke up a deep pass to Jalin Hyatt on the deep corner route that the rookie wide receiver had burned the defense on in each of the past two practices. Hawkins also had tight coverage on a deep pass to Isaiah Hodgins down the sideline that the wide receiver caught out of bounds. He also broke aggressively on a curl route to Hodgins and knocked the pass away.

• 2 weeks later...