SportsWrath

The New York Giants and star running back Saquon Barkley will table any talks about a new contract until after this season

Mr. P

9 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

It’ll be interesting. Glad they want to resign but sounds like Saquon knows his worth and giants were testing the waters with a low offer. 

its nice that the franchise tag is a number lower than what he will probably get too.  

On 11/13/2022 at 1:39 PM, Virginia Giant said:

That would be a god deal while they figure out how long the rebuild is going to take and work on a longer term deal. 

He's a generational talent and is part of the future of this team... You sign the guy to deal he's worth and then some... We have a lot of dead weight on this team so in a year or two, the cap won't be an issue. 

5 hours ago, Nas said:

He's a generational talent and is part of the future of this team... You sign the guy to deal he's worth and then some... We have a lot of dead weight on this team so in a year or two, the cap won't be an issue. 

This is true!  Not only if Barkley an amazing player on the field. I don’t see him doing anything stupid off the field.  

Plus I have a cool Penn state Barkley jersey. 

9 hours ago, Nas said:

We have 68 mill in Cap Space next year itself - 4th Highest in the league. Plus Barkley is an unquestioned leader on this team and has exemplary character. Always says the right things, never loses his cool, never throws anyone else under the bus and is always motivating others around him. He is a vital building block. Having said that, am sure the Giants and Barkley will find middle ground. I can say the same about DJ as well - another player with superb character on and off the field. Even when questioned about the Golladay fuck-ups he never once took his name or said anything other than I should put the ball in a better position. We have the money to sign all 3 and Julian Love - maybe sign 3 and tag 1....dunno. Should be an interesting off-season too.

6 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

We have 68 mill in Cap Space next year itself - 4th Highest in the league. Plus Barkley is an unquestioned leader on this team and has exemplary character. Always says the right things, never loses his cool, never throws anyone else under the bus and is always motivating others around him. He is a vital building block. Having said that, am sure the Giants and Barkley will find middle ground. I can say the same about DJ as well - another player with superb character on and off the field. Even when questioned about the Golladay fuck-ups he never once took his name or said anything other than I should put the ball in a better position. We have the money to sign all 3 and Julian Love - maybe sign 3 and tag 1....dunno. Should be an interesting off-season too.

Yeah obviously we want him locked up multi year, but in case they don’t get to an agreement, it’s nice having the franchise tag be a number we won’t mind paying him. 

6 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

I am not a capologist in any way shape or form...   but I do not know if the Giants would want to sign him to a CMC type contract $64million over 4 years with his injury history.   The real question is, what would other teams be willing to pay to take him.

2 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

I am not a capologist in any way shape or form...   but I do not know if the Giants would want to sign him to a CMC type contract $64million over 4 years with his injury history.   The real question is, what would other teams be willing to pay to take him.

Yeah. This is what scares me too. After his amazing rookie season it was injury after injury. 

i might sound as if I’m smoking crack but he doesn’t have that flash anymore. Not sure if it’s a good thing or not.  

15 hours ago, The P said:

Yeah obviously we want him locked up multi year, but in case they don’t get to an agreement, it’s nice having the franchise tag be a number we won’t mind paying him. 

How many times can we franchise tag a player? Plus, assuming DJ also OKays a mid-level QB contract - otherwise we might have to Transition tag Jones as well. 

3 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Franchising him makes the most sense. $12M on a 1 year deal for 2023 would be a bargain for Barkley. He's making $7.2M now. Let him prove he can do two years without serious injury.

And even then, I wouldn't be sold on signing him to a big contract in 2024.

Maybe it's me... being a former athlete and all.. but I'm not one to hold injuries against a player.    I mean, you play hard, you're bound to get injured... you drop balls on purpose, chances are, you're staying safe from hits.   If anything, the kid's body is preserved... this is like his 2nd year with the team.   I don't think we should get too cute with him and I don't think he's the greedy type either.    

3 minutes ago, Nas said:

Maybe it's me... being a former athlete and all.. but I'm not one to hold injuries against a player.    I mean, you play hard, you're bound to get injured... you drop balls on purpose, chances are, you're staying safe from hits.   If anything, the kid's body is preserved... this is like his 2nd year with the team.   I don't think we should get too cute with him and I don't think he's the greedy type either.    

That's fair. To me, I'm reluctant about a long term deal because he's going into year 6, age 26 of being an RB, and I'm not big on signing RB's to big contracts over $12-13M per year, especially while there are needs elsewhere. Unless we can get him on like a 3 year deal,  $45M...that's probably the max I'd be willing to do.