SportsWrath

RIP Dan Reeves

mastershake

19 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

Yeah obviously most well known for being a damn good coach for the Broncos, I remember being pretty excited when he came to the Giants. 

Marty Mornhinweg would be in the Hall if he had Elway at the helm, but yeah, I too had pretty high hopes when the Giants got him.

R.I.P. coach

13 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

George Young never gave him the tools and used him to get rid of Simms for his project Dave Brown.  Reeves was always a class act.  I would have told Reeves to do his own cut work for a Duke QB that never was in Dave Brown.

The Giants went into that first Reeves year of 1993 trying for one more run with Simms, LT and crew, and it actually was a decent 11 win team that made the playoffs and won the wildcard round (though Ricky Watters would hang 5 TDs on us the following week and the niners blew us out 44-3).

Problem for Reeves is the Giants then:

- Almost completely overturned the roster after 1993.

- A few bad drafts in the mid 90s, particularly 91-96, especially on the offensive side (RB Bunch, TE Derek Brown, WR Thomas Lewis, RB Tyrone Wheatley), not to mention Cedric Jones. Granted they landed Strahan and Armstead at the time, but they didn't become impact players until later. Plus Keith Hamilton, Sehorn were good, but too many misses on the offensive side.

- Tried to stick with Dave Brown way too long (by 1996. we should have known he was not the guy, but we even went into 1997 with him as the starter).

- For all the good George Young did in 1980 - 1990, he never seemed to adapt to the 90's football world, especially the new free agency rules. The Giants seemed behind the curve on free agency in the mid 90's.

5 hours ago, mastershake said:

Yeah sounds right because Brown was selected in the 1992 draft before Reeves was even here. Plus I suppose Reeves liked Maddox enough to bring him in, but he didn't pan out.

Reeves had Maddox in Denver.

17 hours ago, mastershake said:

The Giants went into that first Reeves year of 1993 trying for one more run with Simms, LT and crew, and it actually was a decent 11 win team that made the playoffs and won the wildcard round (though Ricky Watters would hang 5 TDs on us the following week and the niners blew us out 44-3).

Problem for Reeves is the Giants then:

- Almost completely overturned the roster after 1993.

- A few bad drafts in the mid 90s, particularly 91-96, especially on the offensive side (RB Bunch, TE Derek Brown, WR Thomas Lewis, RB Tyrone Wheatley), not to mention Cedric Jones. Granted they landed Strahan and Armstead at the time, but they didn't become impact players until later. Plus Keith Hamilton, Sehorn were good, but too many misses on the offensive side.

- Tried to stick with Dave Brown way too long (by 1996. we should have known he was not the guy, but we even went into 1997 with him as the starter).

- For all the good George Young did in 1980 - 1990, he never seemed to adapt to the 90's football world, especially the new free agency rules. The Giants seemed behind the curve on free agency in the mid 90's.

For sure... I meant to cut Young not Reeves.  Young was so unprepared for the new free agency.  I was so sick of Dave Brown and everyone could tell that he was Young's little spoiled brat.  We stick too long with losing project man.  We took Brown first pick in the supplemental draft.  Thanks GOD that does not exist anymore

Brown was the worst QB pick for the Giant ever IMHO  

He was way worse than Graham or Kannel were with their less than stellar passing.

On 1/5/2022 at 12:37 AM, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

For sure... I meant to cut Young not Reeves.  Young was so unprepared for the new free agency.  I was so sick of Dave Brown and everyone could tell that he was Young's little spoiled brat.  We stick too long with losing project man.  We took Brown first pick in the supplemental draft.  Thanks GOD that does not exist anymore

Brown was the worst QB pick for the Giant ever IMHO  

He was way worse than Graham or Kannel were with their less than stellar passing.

The supplemental draft is still around actually. DG drafted Sam Beal in the 3rd round of the supplemental in 2018 for instance...which of course was the start of Sam Beal's journey to never play NFL football, Lol.

41 minutes ago, mastershake said:

The supplemental draft is still around actually. DG drafted Sam Beal in the 3rd round of the supplemental in 2018 for instance...which of course was the start of Sam Beal's journey to never play NFL football, Lol.

Oh Jesus, I thought that was done soon after Brown.  It is a quiet way for Giants to pick losers IMHO.  :laugh: