Jump to content
SportsWrath

John Madden dies at 85.


BlueInCanada
 Share

Recommended Posts

This one hits home for some reason.  By all accounts a genuinely good person who was just fun.  Those who say John Madden is football speak truth.  He was such a part of the development of the league from a historical perspective and such a mainstay for years after in the booth, not to mention getting the NFL into the video game world. 

He was fun to hear, interesting to watch, and a depth of knowledge the casual fan would have loved to tap into.

Crazy this comes on the heels of his documentary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

This one hits home for some reason.  By all accounts a genuinely good person who was just fun.  Those who say John Madden is football speak truth.  He was such a part of the development of the league from a historical perspective and such a mainstay for years after in the booth, not to mention getting the NFL into the video game world. 

He was fun to hear, interesting to watch, and a depth of knowledge the casual fan would have loved to tap into.

Crazy this comes on the heels of his documentary

I knew him as the commentator and the football game guy before I knew he was one of the winningest coaches in NFL history. 

As you said Madden was football, he made listening to the game fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I knew him as the commentator and the football game guy before I knew he was one of the winningest coaches in NFL history. 

As you said Madden was football, he made listening to the game fun.

I knew him as a commentator and video games too when I was a kid, then kind of picked knew he was a coach, even picked up that he was a well-respected coach - but damn, you look at his number.  103-32-7 and 7 AFC title games in 10 years.  Ridiculous, and the MF retired from coaching at 42.  

My dad didn't like it when he called games, but I fucking loved him.  John and Pat calling a game on a Sunday afternoon was damn near a perfect day when I was a kid / teenager. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I know not Giants related but the guy we all listened too for years on end.

The fact that he took a bus everywhere because he was afraid of flying makes him a GOAT. 

 

I saw after Gmenroc posted it

Real sad that he is dead

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I knew him as the commentator and the football game guy before I knew he was one of the winningest coaches in NFL history. 

As you said Madden was football, he made listening to the game fun.

He stoked my love for the Raiders and remembered him well from his coaching days:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

I knew him as a commentator and video games too when I was a kid, then kind of picked knew he was a coach, even picked up that he was a well-respected coach - but damn, you look at his number.  103-32-7 and 7 AFC title games in 10 years.  Ridiculous, and the MF retired from coaching at 42.  

My dad didn't like it when he called games, but I fucking loved him.  John and Pat calling a game on a Sunday afternoon was damn near a perfect day when I was a kid / teenager. 

I heard all of those Giants games Madden and Pat Summerall did and loved them  

You knew Madden and Ex Old Giant Summerall were going to tell you straight up what was going on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I knew him as the commentator and the football game guy before I knew he was one of the winningest coaches in NFL history. 

As you said Madden was football, he made listening to the game fun.

I was born 1980...so am in same boat as many who knew of him first as video game and announcer.

I can also recall his "Boom, tough-actin' Tinactin" athletes foot commercials

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...