SportsWrath

My biggest take away from the loss,

BlueInCanada

This team is playing like it belongs in the NFL.

With an Oline held together with guys like Flemming, Gates and a guy who is heading towards busts status in Hernandez (which pains me to admit after his rookie year).

A secondary with a converted safety in Ryan, and a rookie 4th round pick starting corner, and Peppers cramping up on the sideline.

Unlike what we seen from Shurmur and his team that looked like it was just going through the motions every weekend, this team looks like it wants to make a name for itself.

It was a breath of fresh air to see these young players like Lawrence, Slayton, Thomas, Jones, etc out there playing to WIN the fucking game, and playing hard snap after snap.

This is a new building team basically in year one, and I think this game was the right step forward, even if it's a small one.

Atleast it's nice to finally have some optimism that we have a team of youth getting experience, instead of a bunch of highly paid FAs just collecting a pay check.

I mean, from waht I saw (when I wasn't focused on working late night) was that they showed some fight. Those interceptions killed and not being able to run it in with Barkley at the goal line fucking killed. 

I feel like we need a tight-end that can actually block though.... and not Engram. 

Agreed across the board.

I think the whole Steelers game plan on D was to shut down Barkley, and the Giants had no answer. I can't even fathom an answer for what the Steelers did up front, except for just old school, hat on hat, I formation type sort of run offense. And that isn't in vogue and barely made an appearance. 

The good was that the team showed heart and fight. They looked prepared and there wasn't a lot of really sloppy play. The Jones INT was a heartbreaker, but there were other times where he threw the ball away, protected the ball and took a sack, etc. Those plays were often turnovers last year... he's getting better. 

Honestly, I'm a little more alarmed with personnel. Engram is the pass catching TE that can't catch, Hernandez looked terrible, Phlegming was bad, Peppers taking that angle for a 4th year safety was inexcusable... I think he may just not be too bright. 

Still a lot of building to do. 

2nd and 3 at the Pittsburgh 4 yard line with only 3 mins to go before the start of the 4th Q 

what a fantastic 19 play drive ......which should have ended up with the score being 17-16 Giants

and the rest is history.

There is plenty to be optimistic about. i see this young , well coached team as a 6-10 team but heading towards playoffs the following year

3 hours ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

2nd and 3 at the Pittsburgh 4 yard line with only 3 mins to go before the start of the 4th Q 

what a fantastic 19 play drive ......which should have ended up with the score being 17-16 Giants

and the rest is history.

There is plenty to be optimistic about. i see this young , well coached team as a 6-10 team but heading towards playoffs the following year

I feel the exact same way.  For some reason, I'm a lot more optimistic about this team than the Coach Murmur Giants. 

They definitely looked better as far as coaching. No obvious boneheaded plays. Crossing fingers that Pitts run defense was just amazing, and that Barkely will be much better in the weeks to come. 

Daniel Jones played MUCH better when it came to protecting the ball. In fact he had a good game overall considering that pass rush. 

Defense played much better than I thought they would. Even got some pressure here and there. 

Now Joe has some tape to work with, and can show guys their mistakes. Really looking forward to seeing how he responds to this loss. 

1 hour ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

If Jones gets that ball away its a different ballgame.  Its a young team and I see 4 to 6 wins.  Looks like a 3/4 defense as someone pointed out.  So now we need decent run stopping linebackers.

much more so than ever with Bettcher's supposed amoeba D, I could not make heads or tails of what the Giants were running yesterday, and I love it... I'm already sold on Graham. It looks like a base 3-4, but there were some 2-4 and 1-5 looks as well. They'd give some really wide open looks, some defensive alignments that seemed to invite certain offensive play calls..... but.... it's a trap. 

Aside from the D's performance against the no huddle at the end of the first half, of course. Other that they were playing snap for snap with the Pittsburgh D. 

Yes I love not knowing the D crazed and I played ball on defense and have an appreciation for looks.  The other team has to know the personnel to guess what is coming not the fronts they are seeing.  Much harder to do once within a game... I like what I am seeing.  You get satisfied after seeing 5 Super Bowls and 4 Super Bowl wins.  Its all good.:TU:

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

much more so than ever with Bettcher's supposed amoeba D, I could not make heads or tails of what the Giants were running yesterday, and I love it... I'm already sold on Graham. It looks like a base 3-4, but there were some 2-4 and 1-5 looks as well. They'd give some really wide open looks, some defensive alignments that seemed to invite certain offensive play calls..... but.... it's a trap. 

Aside from the D's performance against the no huddle at the end of the first half, of course. Other that they were playing snap for snap with the Pittsburgh D. 

Ill find the YouTube vid but it's an all 22 film look at what the Giants were running.

He's basically running a 3-3-4 with a 11th flex player that he uses as an option guy. It can be Carter as an extra pass rusher, Peppers as a box safety, or a nickle corner.

He rotates the Dline and LBs based on the given offence.

Against a 21 or 22 (2RBs, 1/2 TEs);

Lawrence/Tomlinson/Williams 

Golden/Martinez/Fackrell/Carter (flex)

Against 12/11 usually;

Carter(or Fackrell)/Hill/Willians/Golden

Martinez and Peppers (Flex) but it was usually Holmes since Peppers was dealing with cramps.

It really is a hybrid system designed to rotate players and the flex guy based on what they expect the offence to do.

25 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Ill find the YouTube vid but it's an all 22 film look at what the Giants were running.

He's basically running a 3-3-4 with a 11th flex player that he uses as an option guy. It can be Carter as an extra pass rusher, Peppers as a box safety, or a nickle corner.

He rotates the Dline and LBs based on the given offence.

Against a 21 or 22 (2RBs, 1/2 TEs);

Lawrence/Tomlinson/Williams 

Golden/Martinez/Fackrell/Carter (flex)

Against 12/11 usually;

Carter(or Fackrell)/Hill/Willians/Golden

Martinez and Peppers (Flex) but it was usually Holmes since Peppers was dealing with cramps.

It really is a hybrid system designed to rotate players and the flex guy based on what they expect the offence to do.

Nice... the flex guys gets to make the plays if its called right.