SportsWrath

Lack of a passing threat hurting Barkley?

BlueInCanada

Article on ESPN today that went on to say that OBJ was something like third or fourth in the NFL last year in terms of drawing double/triple coverage every play.

Teams had to respect that passing game downfield which allowed less people in the trenches and more soft coverage by the defence.

Is the lack of any real threat on this team in the passing game hurting Barkley more than the Oline?

Now I'll mention two things; 1) He's obviously playing hurt, he should of never been brought back after what? five weeks? But because he's "Super duper man" they rushed him back. 2) This Oline has regressed in run blocking from last year, what the fuck happened to Will Hernendez? He looks like a 300 pound bitch, guy hasnt gotten any push off the line since week 3. Zeitler is the only one on the line worth a damn and he's gone in two years.

However with those things in mind it was clear against the Bear the sole game plan was "Stack the box and force Jones to pass" I can't think of a single time the defence bailed out into the secondary worrying that someone would beat them deep. Tate? Dudes a possesion WR, Shepard was done this year after his second injury and OBJ was a bigger help to him then I would like to admit, Engram? Fucking guy is on the bench more than he is on the field. Slayton has looked |"ok" vs slot corners, but he disappears against any real talent so far.

The Bears never once put more than a LB or corner on our WRs and didn't care what they did down the field, hell most of the time their safeties were playing 10 yards within the line of scrimmage (which lead TD by Tate once Shurmur seen this). 

Bears d is very good....but Bustley has been bad all season. 

Im telling you...a bad sprain is very serious. Even for young, athletic, statuesque specimens like Bustley. 

For a running back that needs to cut and run hard through gorillas....knee and ankle are the most important body parts. A bad sprained ankle is a full tear of the ligaments. Its debilitating and needs a lot of time to fully heal. I sprained my ankle in March...its still discolored and hurts a lot. And i did everything i was told...physical therapy and all. Id need surgery if i was an athlete or had a career where im on my feet all day or very active.

Bustley came back way too soon. Lets hope it doesnt become a career ender...because a bad sprain that isnt properly taken care of and left to fully heal is a career ender for a running back.

21 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

blasting

I think he's worried about reinjury.

He's been mostly super human his entire career.

Now he's in the NFL where he's not the only one.

It's obviously weighing on his mind, don't blame him he was the workhorse on the team last year.

No #1WR certainly isn't helping. 

Honestly though... and I hate to say it... I think Pat Shurmur is the biggest problem.  His playcalling is atrocious. How many more "Saquon up the middle for no gain" plays do we have to see this season?  I know it'll be at least another ten on Sunday. 

I know it's probably wishful thinking, but dude's gotta go.

5 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I think he's worried about reinjury.

He's been mostly super human his entire career.

Now he's in the NFL where he's not the only one.

It's obviously weighing on his mind, don't blame him he was the workhorse on the team last year.

Maybe. To his credit, he had a few good, aggressive blocks this week. Big turnaround from recent weeks.

OBJ and Hopkins are the 2 most double covered WRs in the game this season. With OBJ and Landry, look at what even a Nick Chubb has been able to achieve behind that pathetic Browns OLine. This is why a genuine deep threat is imperative for a decent run game. Either that or you have a mauling OL and a top notch full back with a coach who doesnt get too cute but is fairly innovative. Giants have none of the above factors. All things considering, the way Danny has played this season - fills me with hope for this franchise. But a lot of things need to change. A Chase Young for example automatically makes our secondary look better - no DB can cover for more than 5-6 secs.....Giants DBs have been back there running around for 20 sec on average!

On 11/27/2019 at 12:17 AM, Iceman_NYG said:

OBJ and Hopkins are the 2 most double covered WRs in the game this season. With OBJ and Landry, look at what even a Nick Chubb has been able to achieve behind that pathetic Browns OLine. This is why a genuine deep threat is imperative for a decent run game. Either that or you have a mauling OL and a top notch full back with a coach who doesnt get too cute but is fairly innovative. Giants have none of the above factors. All things considering, the way Danny has played this season - fills me with hope for this franchise. But a lot of things need to change. A Chase Young for example automatically makes our secondary look better - no DB can cover for more than 5-6 secs.....Giants DBs have been back there running around for 20 sec on average!

We have decent receivers...Slayton is a deep threat, and Engram is a threat in the seams, while Tate and Shepherd are savy route runners with burst of their own.

It's the OL and pkaycalling. The browns OL is not nearly as bad as ours. We need to address the OL.

28 minutes ago, mastershake said:

We have decent receivers...Slayton is a deep threat, and Engram is a threat in the seams, while Tate and Shepherd are savy route runners with burst of their own.

It's the OL and pkaycalling. The browns OL is not nearly as bad as ours. We need to address the OL.

I wouldn't say our WRs are decent.

Slayton has had one or two decent games but disappears against any real talent across from him.

Shepard won't look the same until next year. Tate is a possession guy.

Engram is more often hurt than not.

The Browns OL is bad but they have a WRs who demand double teams and safety's to play off the line of scrimmage.

If you watch any of the Browns games you'd know play calling inst the problem they have two plays: Chubb sweep right and Shotgun draw.

Engram hasn't developed as we hoped. His blocking is 2x what I thought it could be, which still isn't anything great, but his effort is awesome. And unfortunately he seems to have no sense for feeling out zone defense, which I assume is the reason we never see him on any vertical route from a TE alignment... which would be the element this offense badly needs and I think we all expected to enjoy.

Our set of receivers/TEs are no worse than Green Bay, New England, Oakland, SF, Seattle, Baltimore, Buffalo, Tennessee, Phili, and several others who have far better running games than ours (with less talented backs) because they have an OL and competent play calling. 

Each of those teams have also been hobbled by injuries as well, so I'm not buying injuries as an excuse either.

You could put Tyreek Hill and Odell on this team tomorrow and the offense is barely improved cause the OL is still shit.