SportsWrath

If Today IS Coughlin's Last Game

carl 1010

Coughlin’s future isn’t as clear as some think it is

Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2016, 8:02 PM EST
cd05oddlnmnhy2mwmjrlzwqzntjhm2viytq1y2vlAP

Tom Coughlin’s future remains murky, with the Giants or elsewhere.

At a time when most presume that it’s a done deal that he’ll be leaving the Giants and many think he’ll choose to resign in lieu of being fired, there’s an emerging sense that Coughlin will not walk away. This would force the Giants to either fire him or keep him.

And that could result in a squabble between ownership, with a very real possibility that co-owner Steve Tisch may wans to move on and that co-owner John Mara may not want to move on. Which means that Coughlin, who is under contract for one more year, could be back with the Giants, after all.

If the Giants decide to move on, it’s possible that Coughlin will resurface elsewhere, quickly. With a pair of Super Bowl wins and a Hall of Fame resume, a market could quickly develop for his services.

go-giants.jpg

I can't imagine who else can coach this team other than TC. Two Super Bowls. The guy deserve better. I sense he still have the respect of the players and that is really important, also who will coach this team?

asian_brad_pitt_by_djray1985-d511mqm.png

I think he will retire. Either way - there are changes needed in Personnel and the person in charge of personnel. Also, play calling duties. Jennings kind of came into his own and so did the OL towards the end. We need a revamp on D. Id actually like for Coughlin to be back. And maybe Spags. No one else. Someone lay a fucking bounty on fucking Palmieri - or maybe he might injure himself in his own fucking conditioning.

Coughlin renewed Giants pride. I wish him a great retirement and thank him for 2 Championship seasons.

Having said that, I'm done watching this team until they get a defense. It's too painful.

I can't believe the J.T. Thomas and Kenrick Ellis signings didn't work out.

I hate to write an obituary for someone who isn't dead, but the probability of this being Coughlin's last game is really high and I believe a foregone conclusion.

I have the deepest respect for Coughlin as any coach in history (maybe Tom Landry rates as high). He's class from top to bottom and has had an amazing run. He is what every coach should aspire to be. But age and poor decisions in the front office that forced him to play with a team in which half are not NFL caliber has taken its toll. And all though the last few years have been hard on Giants' fans, Mr. Coughlin is responsible for bringing half of all the super bowl championships in Giants' history...and that is one hell of an accomplishment.

I will tip my hat to the man if this is it for him and will always carry fond memories and heartfelt respect.

While age and FO office decisions are taken into account, one can argue he was involved in those decisions.... And the horrible clock management fiascos this season coupled with some serious boneheaded decision are what did him in.... Thanks Coach... I appreciate the two trophies.

I've been going back and forth with what I believe about the TC situation. Personally, I think firing Tom does nothing to solve this team's problems. The best it can achieve is if the new coach revitalized the football team and gave it new energy and fresh ideas that further improved outcomes from a football strategy standpoint.

Reese & Ross, on the other hand, should be fired. This team is bereft of talent, and that's on them. Imagine if the Giants could get Gettleman back or maybe Scott Pioli? These guys are team builders. Reese is gambling with each pick trying to find a hidden superstar, those guys are just getting solid football players.

I don't think Tom needs to be asked to leave. But if he does, there needs to be a shakeup in the personnel department, too... as they are more responsible than anyone for the results the last couple of seasons.

I've been going back and forth with what I believe about the TC situation. Personally, I think firing Tom does nothing to solve this team's problems. The best it can achieve is if the new coach revitalized the football team and gave it new energy and fresh ideas that further improved outcomes from a football strategy standpoint.

Reese & Ross, on the other hand, should be fired. This team is bereft of talent, and that's on them. Imagine if the Giants could get Gettleman back or maybe Scott Pioli? These guys are team builders. Reese is gambling with each pick trying to find a hidden superstar, those guys are just getting solid football players.

I don't think Tom needs to be asked to leave. But if he does, there needs to be a shakeup in the personnel department, too... as they are more responsible than anyone for the results the last couple of seasons.

I agree with Reese likes to gamble, hoping to hit the jack pot with an unknown.

He does okay with the first couple of rounds, but he leaves the reservation from round 3-7. I mean, they took Mykkele Thompson in the 5th that no one had ever heard of and wasn't ranked in the top 50 free safeties and Jeremy Davis is beaten out for playing time by players off the street or taken from other teams' practice squad. Hopefully, we hit on Bobby Hart.

Regardless...I can't complain about the picks at the top of the draft - it's the middle and latter parts of the draft that simply make me scratch my head and wonder WTF

To me, it's the difference between status quo stagnation that we've been trying to patch with band-aids and doing something to instill some life into this team. I wanted Coughlin gone last year. And the year before that. I'm not upset that he is stepping down. I appreciate what he has done. I think he is a good man. I think he is a good coach. I also think it is beyond time for this to have happened. The team has wasted 3 years, and don't get me wrong, only a fraction of that can be put on Coughlin, but it's been 3 years of spinning tires.