SportsWrath

I Think it's Time for a Rant...

Dragon

Ok seriously... at what point does accountability come into play? We went into the offseason with glaring holes at OG/OT, DE, LB & S, and some not-as-glaring holes at WR and TE. Now I know it is completely impossible to fill every hole in one offseason, but good lord... What exactly was Reese doing?

The OT's problems were addressed through the draft with Flowers (and later Hart even though he has yet to contribute), however... what exactly did we do about the issues at Guard? We Re-Signed John Jerry. That's it. Reese made (as far as we know) no attempts to target any of the free agent guards that were readily available. This is honestly the same thing he did prior to the 2013 season when we brought in JD Walton and Jerry along with Geoff Schwartz. Hardly anything to celebrate... and Schwartz is proving to be less than average. Now the interior of the OL consists of a converted RT, a second year player that spent last year at Guard... now at Center, and an oft injured underachiever. Bang up job.

The Defensive Line is an absolute travesty. Two things defined our D over the 2 Super Bowl Eras. In the 80s-90s it was stellar LB play. From 07-11 it was a relentless pass rush. We currently have neither. We saw the DL deteriorating over the last 3 seasons and we've made strides in solidifying the DT position, but it's been an absolute nightmare watching this team attempt to generate a pass rush. Now... JPP returning could help out, but we don't know what his production level will be. The LBs are a work in progress, but they looked absolutely lost in coverage today. Add to that their inability to effectively blitz and we have a unit that can't cover or get to the QB. And I'll continue to go back to the way Reese answered Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco prior to the 2013 season when he was asked why it seemed llike he didn't want to target a stud LB... "Well... I'm sure you can't name the LBs that were on our Super Bowl teams." What kind of response is that? So if I'm understanding this statement correctly... Reese doesn't feel that he needs to improve the roster... AND he's arrogant about it.

Safety? Do I even need to bring up this debacle?

Most fans, sportswriters, radio show hosts and the like will look to the coaching staff for the lack of production and poor execution on the field, but coaching is only one facet. You have to have players with some kind of talent and the last time I checked that was Jerry Reese's responsibility and rather than filling the roster with proven and polished players, he seems to be content with bargain players that fill spots, but don't fill the talent requirement and "Raw players with lots of potential". That aggravates me to no end and he is honestly just as responsible for the current state of this team as the coaching staff, if not more... and should face the same fate if they have to be replaced at the end of the season.

#endrant

It is frustrating that we have a QB that has won 2 Super Bowls and he is surrounded by a sea of mediocrity that grows deeper every year the our GM is in the chair.

The coaching staff is not blameless. The training and conditioning staff - if you use games lost to injury over the last 5 years as a metric - sucks balls.

It's a bummer that Eli had his best day as a pro wasted because of his roster is dumb and talent-starved.

I'll still take a few bad years of this after two Super Bowls,rather than never getting one at all. you can only do so much with what you have. the defense looked bad, but can't the offense run off 36 secs to end the game and get a chance at OT? :facepalm:

Unless Reese handed JPP the firecracker and has been feeding Moore lead I can't blame him for the DE issues. Expecting him to deliver "polished" talent at every position, including back-ups, is a tad unrealistic. Moore has all the tools to be a pro-bowl calibre pass-rusher and the coaching staff have had years to teach him the definition of 'ruffing the passer'.

I'm not absolving Reese entirely, but he tried to get the top FA safety...but that safety signed elsewhere. Reese recognized the problem, tried to address it in FA, but Reese can't ultimately control where a player signs. Adding to that, Reese is also responsible for managing the salary cap. With an extension to Manning in the works, Prince and JPP being FAs at the end of this season...Reese likely didn't want to load up too heavily on a safety. So, he addressed it the best he could on draft day. While Collins has struggled here and there, I'm not about to write him off just yet. I think he'll end up a valuable player that the Giants will be happy with.

Offensive line, Reese banked on Schwartz coming back healthy and he got the OT. He couldn't have counted on Beatty going down. I think that here in a few weeks, when Beatty returns, we'll see some more consistency on the offensive line.

Defensive line, yeah, Reese couldn't have counted on JPP's fireworks debacle the same as he couldn't have predicted Beatty getting hurt. But that said, I don't think JPP is so dominant that he's going to make a world of a difference on the defensive line. He'll improve it, but I don't expect the sacks numbers to skyrocket or anything even close. I think the guys we have now are getting beat with single blocks in a lot of cases. Even if JPP comes back and demands a double team, I think that's an easy adjustment for offensive lines. A good defensive line needs at least two guys.

I think the best point made was the comment where you can't address all the holes in the offseason especially when you can't anticipate injuries and stupidity. But there were 3 glaring holes, offensive line, safety and defensive line that Reese hit with the first 3 picks in the draft. I won't complain about that. Those guys need to continue to develop and play better.

I strongly believe that we'll look at more offensive line depth, tight end, defensive line, and linebacker this coming offseason. Lock up Prince and find a nickel corner in FA. Safety, I might look at in the draft again giving the injured guys a chance to come back to the position and compete.

I don't think this is the time to rant against Reese... I think our problem is mainly in coaching... clock management has been so fucking bad that it's not even worth talking about because it's so damn obvious...

The lack of a pass rush is concerning and maybe Spags needs more time and a few pieces to get that fixed...

I'll simply repost what I said in another thread.....and later, when I don't have real life obligations, I'll tell you why you can't throw Reese under the bus, either.

Guys, as I said during the game, it's not about coaching, it's a personnel issue. Spags is doing everything he can to hide our deficiencies but when you come down to it, we have too many guys playing every down who should be backups, at best. We were thin going in and losing JPP, Prince and Beason (which was predictable) was just too much to withstand. Sooner or later, a lack of quality is going to be exposed. Hell, we started the immortal Jasper Brinkley at MLB yesterday!!!

Here's who was on the field yesterday. You tell me how many are bonafide NFL starters:

D. Rodgers-Cromarti J. Hankins J. Hosley J. Casillas L. Collins T. McBride T. Wade U. Unga K. Wynn R. Ayers Jr. J. Brinkley C. Dahl D. Kennard J. Bromley B. Meriweather

All of that is moot since all they had to do was manage and execute the last 6 minutes of the game, which does, in fact, fall back on coaching.

And several of the blown coverages falls back on whatever semblance of a defensive game plan Steve Spagnuolo shat out yesterday. Stacking the box and asking NEW linebackers to read and drop back into coverage against guys like Colston is moronic.

I don't know what you mean, drizzle.... I don't think the Giants were stacking the line of scrimmage very much at all yesterday, I don't recall seeing any zero coverage all day. It looked to me more like it was scrub players running the wrong fucking way.

Here's who was on the field yesterday. You tell me how many are bonafide NFL starters:

D. Rodgers-Cromarti J. Hankins J. Hosley J. Casillas L. Collins T. McBride T. Wade U. Unga K. Wynn R. Ayers Jr. J. Brinkley C. Dahl D. Kennard J. Bromley B. Meriweather

I count four, and that includes the rookie Collins.

No doubt our defense is in shambles. The idea that another coach could use the same players and hold the Saints and Brees to just a few points is insane.

The defense is banged up bad. From day one, the loss of JPP created a huge problem and not something that could be fixed by pouring millions into a free agent. Selvie has promise, but is hobbled. Moore has flairs of greatness, but is a fucking moron who likes to make a great play only to have if nullified and moved forward 15 yards because of the stupidest of penalties. Prince is down...and that's huge. Half our LB and Safety crew is out because of injuries. And Hankins - who is a genuine stud...or was last year - seems to have regressed. O-Diggy has promise but is out with injuries and we are signing guys off the street to replace critical positions in defense.

Regardless - I believed we were going to lose this game from the start. We have lost every single game we've played in the Superdome for over 20 years. It has made mince meat out of Eli (he's 0-3 there) and all previous QB's since the early 90's. The crowd roar fills the dome and for whatever reason, the dome has the Giants' number. With that said, it is amazing that we put up 49 points in that place. The DRC hit and pop that cause the ball to fall into the hands of McBride for a 62 yard TD return was not the fault of Brees who threw a perfect pass, but it was "LUCK" that McBride happened to be in the perfect spot which gave the Giants a last minute of hope in a game where they were facing the hottest QB in recent history. Brees' play made Tom Brady look like an amateur in yesterday's game.

Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the other team. Giants had one of the best games (offensively) that I can ever remember. But they were outplayed. End of story. Regroup for next week and pray some of our key players are healthy enough to be on the field.

I don't know what you mean, drizzle.... I don't think the Giants were stacking the line of scrimmage very much at all yesterday, I don't recall seeing any zero coverage all day. It looked to me more like it was scrub players running the wrong fucking way.

I count four, and that includes the rookie Collins.

o

The blown coverage on the Colston td. Spagnuolo had his linebackers and safeties stacking the box, bluffing a run blitz. Bluffing themselves out of any chance of making a play.

I am not sure Reese gets the blame he had some bad draft picks, some didn't make it due to injuries and some he drafted on potential that never came to be. He missed on free agency quite a bit though...Walton, Baas, Schwartz and resigning Beason. He's been better in the draft the past few years. With the depletion of their safeties Collins is playing out of position and thwy have to drop him into to coverage more than he should be as a FS. He should be a thumper similar to Chancellor. I am not sure who blame the Moore project on. I think the coaches have done a poor job developing him for sure and he learns nothing in limited playing time, but has Coughlin "He can't trust him." It's possibly he's just beyond developing and Spags said he's worked with him "quite a bit." So I guess you can someone like Moore on Reese, but there is talent there and I guess he figured they would find a way to harness that talent

o

The blown coverage on the Colston td. Spagnuolo had his linebackers and safeties stacking the box, bluffing a run blitz. Bluffing themselves out of any chance of making a play.

That isn't true, there were 7 in the box on that play. I'm not sure which one made the mistake, but Merriweather and Hosely (?... couldn't make out the jersey) both covered the same player on a shallow route, and turned Colston loose deep.

A few screen shots that may help.... ah, never mind, 'that image extension is not permitted in this community' so fuck it. But I'll stand by it, the coverage responsibility there was on the defensive backs on the near side of the field, the alignment of the front seven had nothing to do with it.

It's easy to complain, but truth is - this was an epic game - an incredible game that will be remembered for years. Records galore were set. Eli showed he's Elite Eli. Odell proves he is a stud. And Vereen is by far, our best pickup in FA.

Just think about it....the Saints are up 42-28 and the Giants scored 21 points in five minutes to go ahead, 49-42. That is amazing. Had they played out the last drive with the intention of running out the clock to go into overtime instead of trying for a win, the outcome MIGHT have been different, although we probably would have lost in OT (IMO) the way Brees was playing out of his skull. So Eli takes some shots down the field in hopes of a PI call or a great catch to put them in FG range to win the game. So they gambled and they lost. Such is the game of football. At least it was entertaining and not a huge beatdown or a loss within our division.

The only thing to bitch about is the mess that is our defense. But in reality, key injuries from JPP to Prince to Beason has a lot to do with it. There are better days ahead for this defense.

There is a lack of talent when you consider the pass rush.

lack? you are putting it mildly .. those guys are at best 3rd stringers and they are playing like it

I think Ayers is a good player, but I don't think anybody else among the defensive ends could even have made the roster from 2006-2012.

lack? you are putting it mildly .. those guys are at best 3rd stringers and they are playing like it

They are better against the run then the pass. Besides Jenkins, Ayers and Hankins, nobody else is going to scare a QB.

I think Ayers is a good player, but I don't think anybody else among the defensive ends could even have made the roster from 2006-2012.

you are right .. .none of these guys would have made any of those teams ... we were stacked on the line ... it seems like both the o-line and d-line got old at the same time and Reese just could not keep up with replacing so many players

you are right .. .none of these guys would have made any of those teams ... we were stacked on the line ... it seems like both the o-line and d-line got old at the same time and Reese just could not keep up with replacing so many players

Ayers would have made the roster over Tollefson, in my opinion.

Wasn't pointing to this game as the basis for my rant, but it definitely was the boiling point. The fact is we put up 42 points on the offensive side of the ball. That SHOULD have been enough to win. McBride gave us an additional 7 with his Fumble/Interception return and we still managed to give up 52 points... in regulation. Yes... coaching, clock management, and mental toughness all come into play when you blow 3 4th qtr leads in 8 games, but at some point we have to accept that the personnel (even at full strength) is less than adequate and Reese needs to take his share of the blame for the state of the team as much as Coughlin.