SportsWrath

Jason Pierre-Paul injured

Tempest

Our offense started looking pretty decent in the second half. Line should be average at worst now, and vereens a valuable weapon. I think we'll be fine

Plus I'm getting my fanduel hunger going.....I want one of those big pools!

I wonder if JPP is tradable? Maybe get another O-lineman or a veteran safety?

lol yeah sure, anyone who has cap space interested in a DE who might play a full season when available for more than 60 million for 4 years.

lol yeah sure, anyone who has cap space interested in a DE who might play a full season when available for more than 60 million for 4 years.

Well when you trade, don't you pick up the other guy's contract too? They don't need a lot of cap space if they're freeing some up in the trade.

Well when you trade, don't you pick up the other guy's contract too? They don't need a lot of cap space if they're freeing some up in the trade.

I don't think you can trade a guy who isnt even on your team.

I mean unless we sign JPP to a franchise tag but the Giant's HAVE to pay JPP his guaranteed money, just how the CBA works, so it would basically be, we pay another team to take JPP off our hands.

What happens to a player who doesnt sign their franchise tag anyways? Does he sit in limbo for a year and the NFLPA sues the shit out of the team?

I don't think you can trade a guy who isnt even on your team.

I mean unless we sign JPP to a franchise tag but the Giant's HAVE to pay JPP his guaranteed money, just how the CBA works, so it would basically be, we pay another team to take JPP off our hands.

What happens to a player who doesnt sign their franchise tag anyways? Does he sit in limbo for a year and the NFLPA sues the shit out of the team?

He has to sign or not play. Giants could still signed him to a contract and then traded him with the next team then capable of signing him to a long term deal or franchise taggin him at the end of the season, if he could pass a physical.

Now he has not signed because he would run the real risk of being placed on Non Football Related Injury IR which would cost him 6 weeks salary.

It really is simple: Giants need JPP now as much as they did back in February and his injury hasn't changed that fact. JPP will play this season for the Giants and then a decision will be made.

You are as stupid now if you cut him now as if you didn't franchise tag him back in February. Feeling just as stupid as the other team that would have signed him for more money if the Giants didn't franchise tag him in the first place.

Giants are probably not going to see a 100% JPP until October while he gets paid 4 weeks to heal. An asshole would put him out there and burn him. Subpar season, further injury aggravation, drop in value.

He has to sign or not play. Giants could still signed him to a contract and then traded him with the next team then capable of signing him to a long term deal or franchise taggin him at the end of the season, if he could pass a physical.

Now he has not signed because he would run the real risk of being placed on Non Football Related Injury IR which would cost him 6 weeks salary.

It really is simple: Giants need JPP now as much as they did back in February and his injury hasn't changed that fact. JPP will play this season for the Giants and then a decision will be made.

You are as stupid now if you cut him now as if you didn't franchise tag him back in February. Feeling just as stupid as the other team that would have signed him for more money if the Giants didn't franchise tag him in the first place.

Giants are probably not going to see a 100% JPP until October while he gets paid 4 weeks to heal. An asshole would put him out there and burn him. Subpar season, further injury aggravation, drop in value.

Well, with Tom Coughlin's stellar track record of managing injured players, I have full confidence that JPP will have all the time to heal that he needs and will surely come back at 100%.

But as former Giants offensive lineman Rich Seubert noted, guys play with injury all the time in the NFL. They tape their fingers with regularity.

Pierre-Paul's situation won't be much different. It won't provide the offensive linemen with a huge weakness to attack.

"I think it's silly [to assume it will affect him greatly]," Seubert said. "We all played through injuries. I played through a bunch of injuries. Everyone I know played through a bunch of injuries.

"Losing a finger, I'm sure it's going to affect you a little bit, but it's not like [offensive linemen are] going to punch it, go for it. You can't grab it, right? It's not there. So he'll be fine."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/07/justin_tuck_has_talked_to_giants_defensive_end_jas.html

Uhhh...someone should tell Richie that offensive lineman also don't have to sack the quarterback or pull down ball carriers. It's a little different when a defensive lineman loses a finger, especially one who is above average against the run and is consistently asked to drag down ball carriers. It will affect him, it might not be a big impact, but Rich shouldn't act like it's nothing losing a finger simply because off the snap, JPP shouldn't be holding anyone.

Uhhh...someone should tell Richie that offensive lineman also don't have to sack the quarterback or pull down ball carriers. It's a little different when a defensive lineman loses a finger, especially one who is above average against the run and is consistently asked to drag down ball carriers. It will affect him, it might not be a big impact, but Rich shouldn't act like it's nothing losing a finger simply because off the snap, JPP shouldn't be holding anyone.

Its a finger, singular, one finger, and not all of the fingers. Yes he will have a one finger disadvantage over everyone who has ten yet considering he has had a speed, height, weight, experience and training advantage; I believe he will manage.

Its a finger, singular, one finger, and not all of the fingers. Yes he will have a one finger disadvantage over everyone who has ten yet considering he has had a speed, height, weight, experience and training advantage; I believe he will manage.

He also broke his thumb, and since there's a pin in it there's a good chance it's shattered. Let's not forget nerve damage and scarring to the other digits as well.

We'll see if it affects him. He hasn't been great the past 3 seasons or so to begin with.

He also broke his thumb, and since there's a pin in it there's a good chance it's shattered. Let's not forget nerve damage and scarring to the other digits as well.

We'll see if it affects him. He hasn't been great the past 3 seasons or so to begin with.

and possibly the nail on the thumb. At this point we sit and wait till JPP signs the contract and takes a physical.

I think they will make him take the physical before the let him sign the contract.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1573683/000104746913009713/a2216998zex-10_3.htm

pretty sure they all use a similar contract. First they sign, then they get examined and if they fail the contract is voidable by team discretion.

I know it sounds strange but Peyton signed his contract back in march and it was validated by his ability to pass his physical as far as I can tell. Or maybe he verbally agrees to the contract, takes physical and passes then signs.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1573683/000104746913009713/a2216998zex-10_3.htm

pretty sure they all use a similar contract. First they sign, then they get examined and if they fail the contract is voidable by team discretion.

I know it sounds strange but Peyton signed his contract back in march and it was validated by his ability to pass his physical as far as I can tell. Or maybe he verbally agrees to the contract, takes physical and passes then signs.

Does the franchise tag work that way though?

I thought it was guaranteed money, i.e. he signs the dotted line and he gets his money even if he ends up on IR for the year, it's one of the disadvantages of the franchise tag.

Does the franchise tag work that way though?

I thought it was guaranteed money, i.e. he signs the dotted line and he gets his money even if he ends up on IR for the year, it's one of the disadvantages of the franchise tag.

If he gets hurt after passing the physical and it is football related, yeah he gets paid. The franchise tag is more of a weekly check than a guarantee. If he does not play in Sept, he loses that portion of the money.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/11/if-giants-guarantee-salary-jpp-will-return-by-week-one/

If he gets hurt after passing the physical and it is football related, yeah he gets paid. The franchise tag is more of a weekly check than a guarantee. If he does not play in Sept, he loses that portion of the money.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/11/if-giants-guarantee-salary-jpp-will-return-by-week-one/

Right. Which he why he doesn't want to sign it. They would most likely put him on the NFR IR and he loses six weeks of pay. At this point though he either signs or doesn't play for a whole year. I think the deadline has passed where he can't even sign with another team if they rescinded the tag

• 2 weeks later...