SportsWrath

Jason Pierre-Paul injured

Tempest

I wonder if he's trying to keep the Giants at bay so they don't see how injured his hand really is and may rescind the franchise tag before he has a chance to sign it.

To be fair I'd think they'd notice the missing finger at the contract signing.

the thing is, what are we doing with that freed up cap space anyway in july? there's not a lot of guys left to sign. we're better off with jpp for a year than the extra cap space for 2015 that we're not going to do anything with

I'd rescind the franchise tag and cut him loose. That seems to be what JPP wants and frankly, I don't think he's worth the cap hit at this point.

Agreed. If he really wants to attempt a come back, you give him a $2-3 mil 1 year deal and let him prove he can play... Which I doubt because he couldn't even up his game in a contract year last season.

If the front office rescinds the franchise offer, I wonder if there is a trade out there to be made... We'd have more than enough cap space for a variety of deals.

the thing is, what are we doing with that freed up cap space anyway in july? there's not a lot of guys left to sign. we're better off with jpp for a year than the extra cap space for 2015 that we're not going to do anything with

Cap space can be carried over from one year to the next now. If we were to cut JPP, that 14.8 million would likely go straight to Eli's signing bonus/extension.

I've said it before in regards to fireworks, they're dangerous even if you are careful. If he's having nerve damage and amputations - I wouldn't at all be surprised if there are broken bones in his hand or wrist as well. I'm sure too, there will be more than one surgery involved. Cleaning out the wound, amputating, reconnecting other ligaments, skin grafting, etc. There's a lot that goes one with these injuries. Again, I know a guy really really well, who no longer has his left thumb for the very same reason. My buddy had close to 6 surgeries, meaning the surgeon had to go in 6 times to clean and repair, in the first 3 weeks. After that, there was physical therapy, compression gloves to maintain circulation, dealing with the feeling that the digit is still there when it's not, etc.

I'm not saying JPP won't be back, but to say he'll be back later this month for training camp and next month for preseason...seems a bit premature. I'd be really surprised to see anything out of him until the regular season at the earliest. And even then, the use of hands at the DE position is awfully important. It really calls into question what his ability will be.

I'd have to look at the cap space currently reported for the other 31 teams in the league. See who currently has 15 million available to pay JPP. There is a big part of me that would be cool with letting him walk by retracting the franchise tag offer. But, given his playing ability and our inability to simply replace him (we were counting on him this season, whether we wanted to or not) - I don't think it's quite that simple.

At the end of the day, I'm really 50/50 on his staying/going. And for that very reason, I think he should go given the price tag. I don't feel you should keep a player at 15 million about whom your very indifferent. It's like a 3rd string RB. You may like the guy as a player a whole lot, but you're not paying the guy 15 million to stay should he get an opportunity on another team.

Oh, and his not letting the Giants staff in to see him - that would piss me off as an organization way more than it probably should and would likely be the piece of the story that tips the scale in turning JPP into a free agent today.

According to Spotrac, teams with more than 10 million in available cap space:

$36,436,293 -- Jacksonville Jaguars

$27,264,984 -- Tennessee Titans

$21,346,341 -- Cleveland Browns

$20,289,311 -- Oakland Raiders

$20,047,306 -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers

$17,454,237 -- Cincinatti Bengals

$16,460,933 -- Atlanta Falcons

$15,680,577 -- Green Bay Packers

$14,504,551 -- Carolina Panthers

$14,394,068 -- Philadelphia Eagles

$11,998,814 -- Dallas Cowboys

$10,618,977 -- San Francisco 49ers

$10,289,090 -- New England Patriots

Ronnie Lott tore the top of his finger off. He was a decent tackler.

That was only part of his pinky. Apparently JPP had his whole index finger removed. Could have been worse like a thumb but considering amputation was necessary obviously his hand is in very bad shape. Also from the reports it seems like both hands have issues. Add in dodging Giants staff I am thinking this is worse than reported. Not looking good for JPP.

I saw a picture on FB.. not sure if it's a hoax but if that was really JPPs hand, then he's fucked... flesh ripped.. badly damaged to almost missing index finger... Look I know the guy's been getting flack and I'm one who thinks he's not the birghtest however, I wish him well... football aside.

Every time I get my hopes up with this team, it seems something bizarre happens. Plax shoots himself, Chad Jones, the heavy-hitting, play-making safety out of LSU just drafted by the Giants gets in a career ending car accident where he has to be extracted with the jaws-of-life and power saws, and fucking JPP blows his friggin hand up.

What's next, Eli breaking his right arm after an accident while trying to jump three cars with a motorcycle?

Damn! When you are making millions of dollars because of a specific skill, you simply protect that specific skill with everything you've got and you don't risk losing it for any reason...especially doing stupid things. Man this whole thing just rankles me - sticks in my craw. Why can't it happen to a star player on the Cowboys team........why, why, why!

I saw a picture on FB.. not sure if it's a hoax but if that was really JPPs hand, then he's fucked... flesh ripped.. badly damaged to almost missing index finger... Look I know the guy's been getting flack and I'm one who thinks he's not the birghtest however, I wish him well... football aside.

You should post the picture. Secondly - he his missing his index finger, especially now that the doctors have amputated it. I too, wish him the best...just not real sure I wish him the best on the Giants at this point.

Every time I get my hopes up with this team, it seems something bizarre happens. Plax shoots himself, Chad Jones, the heavy-hitting, play-making safety out of LSU just drafted by the Giants gets in a career ending car accident where he has to be extracted with the jaws-of-life and power saws, and fucking JPP blows his friggin hand up.

What's next, Eli breaking his right arm after an accident while trying to jump three cars with a motorcycle?

Damn! When you are making millions of dollars because of a specific skill, you simply protect that specific skill with everything you've got and you don't risk losing it for any reason...especially doing stupid things. Man this whole thing just rankles me - sticks in my craw. Why can't it happen to a star player on the Cowboys team........why, why, why!

My question is...if he's paying for all the fireworks, why not pay someone to light them off? Granted, lighting fuses and watching them is fun...but you are right, you have to think about protecting your livlihood.

The Chad Jones situation still gives me chills. Not sure why that one sticks as much as it does. Perhaps it was the talent and opportunity that was stripped away in the blink of an eye kinda thing. The other side of that that stuck with me is that the Giants paid him for 2 or 3 years. The Giants gave him a chance to come back from the injury and were seeming far more patient with that than what many other teams would be. I have to believe others would have cut him outright, saving the cap space. Giants, I think, showed a lot of class there.

Over / Under that he was high while lighting the fireworks?

You high? You have to put a number out there for people to bet O/U.

I'm kidding, of course. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a beer or six involved.

Cap space can be carried over from one year to the next now. If we were to cut JPP, that 14.8 million would likely go straight to Eli's signing bonus/extension.

right but we're already going to have the 2nd most cap space in the league next year and the giants aren't considering themselves a rebuilding team this season. if he's going to be able to play this season and they think he'll be an effective player i'd rather take a shot at winning with him this year and just let him go next year.

although that's a good point about eli's extension. if it helps us lock up eli now and allows us to keep a lot of cap space next year i'll gladly be down with biting the bullet and just rescinding the tender

right but we're already going to have the 2nd most cap space in the league next year and the giants aren't considering themselves a rebuilding team this season. if he's going to be able to play this season and they think he'll be an effective player i'd rather take a shot at winning with him this year and just let him go next year.

although that's a good point about eli's extension. if it helps us lock up eli now and allows us to keep a lot of cap space next year i'll gladly be down with biting the bullet and just rescinding the tender

Yeah, it'd actually almost be double the 14.8 figure that we'd have for Eli if we let JPP go now. If we let JPP go, we can use THIS year's 14.8 next year AND we could use 14.8 next year without affecting any other players because THIS year's 14.8 million would come off the books next year. I'm sure I worded that poorly, but hopefully it came across clearer than it did when I reread it.

I think it's a valid point that if he can play this year, I'd like him playing for us. I'm just concerned with the 'if he can play' part.

Yeah, it'd actually almost be double the 14.8 figure that we'd have for Eli if we let JPP go now. If we let JPP go, we can use THIS year's 14.8 next year AND we could use 14.8 next year without affecting any other players because THIS year's 14.8 million would come off the books next year. I'm sure I worded that poorly, but hopefully it came across clearer than it did when I reread it.

I think it's a valid point that if he can play this year, I'd like him playing for us. I'm just concerned with the 'if he can play' part.

yeah i get what you're saying, and i'm very concerned now too after seeing that photo nas posted. how the hell can a guy with a hand that looks like that play football in two months??

You high? You have to put a number out there for people to bet O/U.

I'm kidding, of course. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a beer or six involved.

I asked other people what the O/U would be, duh. I'm saying 65/35, he was high, though.

You know...

https://instagram.com/p/4H-p-ej2GA/?taken-by=iamjasonpierrepaul