SportsWrath

Jason Pierre-Paul injured

Tempest

and possibly the nail on the thumb. At this point we sit and wait till JPP signs the contract and takes a physical.

Does anyone believe the Giants when they say "Hey Pierre we just miss you and care for you"?

If they see that hand and it looks like shit they'll drop the franchise tag tender in a heart beat.

Does anyone believe the Giants when they say "Hey Pierre we just miss you and care for you"?

If they see that hand and it looks like shit they'll drop the franchise tag tender in a heart beat.

They could have done that weeks ago. He still has value and the recognize that. Pretty sure that hand is not going to look pretty but it doesn't have to be pretty to work.

Here's the thing... you can't rescind the tender. If someone wants to sign him, we get 2 first rounders. I say again, 2 first rounders. Release the tender? He's a free agent, Giants get nothing, and he goes on to realistically be a possible All-Pro for some other team... possibly a division rival. You don't do that.

He signs the tender, great. He comes in, gets himself in shape and ready to play, and he contributes. Losing a finger may affect his play. But it won't affect his speed, quickness, and power. You don't use your index finger to beat a left tackle. And if you're rushing outside the LT, that right hand may never even be involved until you get to the QB. He's going to be a good player still, I don't know if he's going to be a great player. But you live with the possibility of overpaying him for one season and see what you have. You don't let him get away, lose any chance of compensation, and lose what might be your best defensive player on the team. It is illogical and reckless.

Here's the thing... you can't rescind the tender. If someone wants to sign him, we get 2 first rounders. I say again, 2 first rounders. Release the tender? He's a free agent, Giants get nothing, and he goes on to realistically be a possible All-Pro for some other team... possibly a division rival. You don't do that.

He signs the tender, great. He comes in, gets himself in shape and ready to play, and he contributes. Losing a finger may affect his play. But it won't affect his speed, quickness, and power. You don't use your index finger to beat a left tackle. And if you're rushing outside the LT, that right hand may never even be involved until you get to the QB. He's going to be a good player still, I don't know if he's going to be a great player. But you live with the possibility of overpaying him for one season and see what you have. You don't let him get away, lose any chance of compensation, and lose what might be your best defensive player on the team. It is illogical and reckless.

I understand your point, but I think his best days as a Giant are behind him.

Wouldn't suprise me if he nevers plays again as a Giant.

Having said that, I agree the team needs to go through the motions to protect their interests.

You don't use your index finger for speed and power, but you do use it for training... and that will almost certainly be affected. JPP can probably still work out his legs but he looks awfully skinny in those photos, and it's really tough to keep your weight on when you're on painkillers.

I think that due to how this situation has been handled by JPP and his camp, this will be the last year he'll be with the Giants unless they tag him again, which I don't see happening given this fiasco.

When the Giants say they care about JPP...while I'll admit that there's always a hint of skepticism in me, I take their word for it. They've stood by plenty of injured players, Chad Jones and David Wilson come to mind, far further into their recovery than they could have. Sure, those two guys are 1st and 3rd rounders and there may be less of a commitment to a player the team took a chance on in the 7th round, but the fact remains that the Giants have a track record of caring about and for their players. At this point though, after being spurned by JPP and his avoiding the team, I take a lot of the commentary with a grain of salt. The relationship has soured to the point where both sides are trying to posture themselves to come out the other end smelling like a rose.

What I think should happen: I think JPP should sign the franchise tag tender. Like others have pointed out, the number of interested teams in a guy who just blew his hand apart with an unknown recovery period are few. I don't see many signing him to a long term deal without having the chance to look at his hand. And any 1-year fliers on the guy are going to be incentive laden and far lower than 14.8 million. From the Giants perspective, I think I'd give JPP until the final preseason game to be in house, have hand inspected, AND either be practicing on field/learning new defense, or at the VERY least, be regularly monitored by the Giants medical staff. Should he not sign the franchise tender by then, the Giants should pull it and let him become a free agent. At that point, if JPP does sign with another team, he's way behind the learning curve for that team's defense and he still has his injured hand to deal with. It allows the Giants to save the 14.8 million AND it protects them from JPP joining a rival or making some major contribution to another team this year. Keep in mind, that 14.8 million will roll over and be available for next year's salary cap.

What I think will happen....I think the stalemate continues. I think the Giants leave the tag offer on the table. I think JPP eventually signs it before the Giants rescind it. I think the Giants put him on the NFR IR list and pay him a portion of the tag amount out of good faith. I think JPP might play 8-10 games this year. I think JPP is serviceable, but not himself. I think he plays elsewhere next season.

You don't use your index finger for speed and power, but you do use it for training... and that will almost certainly be affected. JPP can probably still work out his legs but he looks awfully skinny in those photos, and it's really tough to keep your weight on when you're on painkillers.

Good points. And keep in mind he lost his finger due to an explosion....who knows how much damage there was to his hand, wrist, forearm, etc.

I just think he's done as a Giant. The whole thing has a Plaxico vibe to it.

Good points. And keep in mind he lost his finger due to an explosion....who knows how much damage there was to his hand, wrist, forearm, etc.

I just think he's done as a Giant. The whole thing has a Plaxico vibe to it.

If he lost a finger, I'm certain there are other bones not just broken, but shattered. Would not be surprised if there are pins and screws keeping everything together right now. From watching a friend go through it, I'm sure the first surgery or two had more to do with cleaning it out than repairing anything. At this point, I'm guessing it's letting the flesh heal and keeping an eye on the bones/pins/screws. If the bones don't heal properly, they may have to break and re-set them or just let them grow all disfigured. I wouldn't see him playing or practicing until the pins are removed given they might be sticking out of the skin Wolverine-style right now (underneath all that gauze and wrap). Given it's been 4 weeks, I'd bet on another 4 weeks at least before he'd see any sort of rehabilitation to regain strength and flexibility in the hand. I'd be really surprised if he plays before October.

And yeah, after this year, I don't see him coming back. Can't see the Giants making the same long term offer next year that JPP didn't sign this year and I can't see the Giants tagging him again after the fiasco this year. Further, I have to believe JPP will still be looking for his payday. There just seems to be too much swaying the conversation to his leaving than there is to his staying. As for this year, he really doesn't have a choice if he intends to play at all. And if he doesn't play at all this year, than his value next year drops that much further.

If ever he's needed to be motivated to get on the field and perform at a pro-bowl level, this is the year and he may just not get that opportunity due to the hand. Glad the Giants and JPP are talking at this point. Seems JPP is coming to his senses that seem to have been absent since July 4th.

Giants shouldn't count on him in 2015, nor 2016 for that matter. I think his career as a Giant is done, and maybe his career, period.

Oh well... he showed flashes of brilliance here and there but disappeared a lot... He's Osi 2.0.