SportsWrath

What to expect from RB Rashad Jennings

BleedinBlue

Good article worth sharing. I like the sounds of this guy a lot.

What to Expect: Giants RB Rashad Jennings

In the first part of a new what to expect series that examines all the new free agents, we take a look at the running back from Oakland, Rashad Jennings. Jennings is the definition of a hard worker. He has been nothing but a hard-nosed and consistent runner throughout his career, both with the Jaguars and Raiders.

Jennings is a health nut who once called the air we breath toxic compared to the air he breathes in his hyperbaric oxygen chamber, which he sleeps in every night to replenish.

Last year for the Raiders, he knew going in that there was a high probability he'd emerge as the primary ball carrier because of Darren McFadden's injury history. So when that opportunity came, he ran with it, literally, to the tune of 771 all purpose yards and 6 touchdowns in the seven starts he made down the stretch of the season.

Now, blowing up the number over a full season is a bit misleading simply because of the key factors that are not considered; workload, durability, overall freshness, but that would be on pace over 1,660+ all purpose yards and 16 TDs.

Yes, those numbers will most likely never be achieved, but it is something to be excited about.

A jack of all trades of sorts, Jennings will provide the backfield of the Giants with a physical force who can be counted on when the going gets tough. He packs a hard punch, averaging over 2.2 yards AFTER contact, and has the ability to break away and be lethal in the open field.

i watched most of his games last year and he's really fun to watch. very underrated player

I've read some obscure pages on the internet of Raider fans lamenting this decision and they were very upset that their front office allowed him to walk and were livid that the Giants gobbled him up so quickly. There is consensus among the fans (that write on the internet anyway) that the Giants got a huge steal.

Meanwhile, not a word about David Wilson. I guess we'll hear something when the off season program starts in a few weeks....but it sure doesn't sound like they are counting on him - or even planning for him - to be part of the team. I get the feeling they're assuming he won't be there and if he is, it's a bonus.

Meanwhile, not a word about David Wilson. I guess we'll hear something when the off season program starts in a few weeks....but it sure doesn't sound like they are counting on him - or even planning for him - to be part of the team. I get the feeling they're assuming he won't be there and if he is, it's a bonus.

Does the team really have a choice but to carry on as if he won't be there? He had serious neck surgery AND he's had fumbling issues. Granted, he was starting to hit his stride and gain some confidence, but that is such a small sample size that it's unreliable.

You have to look at the offseason as the Giants loading up to make one more run at the SB under Eli. Given Eli's season last year, the Giants have to surround him with weapons and see if last year was an aberration or if it was a sign of things to come.

I have to believe Wilson is still a big part of the Giants' running game plan and is probably penciled in as the feature back. That could change if Jennings proves the better of the two.

The coming draft is loaded with potential pro-bowlers at almost every position except running back. This is one of the worst drafts for running backs so I don't see the Giants drafting one. However, I didn't see them trading up for a QB last year either.

I have to believe Wilson is still a big part of the Giants' running game plan and is probably penciled in as the feature back. That could change if Jennings proves the better of the two.

The coming draft is loaded with potential pro-bowlers at almost every position except running back. This is one of the worst drafts for running backs so I don't see the Giants drafting one. However, I didn't see them trading up for a QB last year either.

All depends on who is healthy and ready in training camp. Going to lean towards Jennings for the time being.

There are plenty of RB's in this draft.

There are plenty of RB's in this draft.

Yeah - every senior RB in college is in this draft.

The media has gone on and on about how deep this draft is, while simultaneously saying that this is the weakest draft in years for running backs. Out of dozens (if not hundreds) of mocks, I have not seen a single RB listed as being taken in the first round. That's the first time I've ever seen that. 5'9" Tre Mason is considered the best RB in the class and not expected to be taken until the mid to late 2nd round.

There could be a gem hidden in there somewhere, but it's a crapshoot. It's why the analysts are calling this the weakest RB class in years.

Yeah - every senior RB in college is in this draft.

The media has gone on and on about how deep this draft is, while simultaneously saying that this is the weakest draft in years for running backs. Out of dozens (if not hundreds) of mocks, I have not seen a single RB listed as being taken in the first round. That's the first time I've ever seen that. 5'9" Tre Mason is considered the best RB in the class and not expected to be taken until the mid to late 2nd round.

There could be a gem hidden in there somewhere, but it's a crapshoot. It's why the analysts are calling this the weakest RB class in years.

Hearing Hyde has a potential 1st rounder and Jeremy Hill in the 2nd, along with a crop of others.

One thing I never understood about what Silly Gilly was trying to do with Wilson, is why was it with what seemed like every snap, they were trying to run some trick play with him?

Either some misdirection, send the FB and O-line one way and Wilson the other, or they would set up these shotgun toss plays where he would be met in the backfield by half of the defense.

I really just wanted to see what Wilson could do lining up behind a FB and letting him run instead of trying to set up these Reggie Bush type plays by having him bounce around like a Rabbit. I mean the O-line was pretty much the worst we have seen out of the Giant's in the last five years so why try to run these trick plays that require one on one blocks of chips when we couldnt even pick up a yard running straight ahead.

I just feel like the coaches have done more to hurt Wilson's career then Wilson himself. Bradshaw had a breakout game against Buffalo doing nothing but taking the ball straight up the middle, but yet when Wilson has some bad runs after having to dance around in the backfield on a designed play, the coaches don't trust him.

Hope MacAdoodleDo see's what he has in Wilson and can find a way to just give him the ball.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/03/former_coaches_dish_on_some_giants_free-agent_signings.html

Raiders coach Dennis Allen on RB Rashad Jennings:
"He played well for us. He played really well for us. He was a back that you'd seen a little bit in Jacksonville but you hadn't really seen a lot of. So you weren't really sure exactly what you had in him. He was a pleasant surprise. The thing I was most impressed with him was that he was a big back that ran big. I think that is important. But yet he still had the speed to break off a long explosive run."

"He had special team ability. That is where he made his first impact for us, on special teams. The more touches you gave to him, the more you got a chance to see he had good ability as a runner."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/03/former_coaches_dish_on_some_giants_free-agent_signings.html

"He played well for us. He played really well for us. He was a back that you'd seen a little bit in Jacksonville but you hadn't really seen a lot of. So you weren't really sure exactly what you had in him. He was a pleasant surprise. The thing I was most impressed with him was that he was a big back that ran big. I think that is important. But yet he still had the speed to break off a long explosive run."

"He had special team ability. That is where he made his first impact for us, on special teams. The more touches you gave to him, the more you got a chance to see he had good ability as a runner."

There's that "special teams ability" again. Seems the Giants are really fed up with bad ST play and they are really focusing on players who also excel on special teams. Bout friggin time!

I think this is a great pickup, and a good example of how you can land a solid RB as a free agent or in the middle rounds of the draft.

yeah there is never any reason to invest high draft picks or significant salary cap space in a running back. this guy was easily an above average rb last season when he got the chance to start

Especially when you look at the shelf life of your average running back, versus the shelf life of your average offensive lineman.

There was some scouting group that did an analysis of draft picks, and they came to the statistical conclusion that in terms of average NFL career, average years starting, and average years making the Pro Bowl, offensive lineman taken in the early rounds had the best success of any positional group.

Throw in the fact that alot of times, a guard can play center, tackle etc......you just get more bang for the buck.

Justin Pugh is a good example of this.

right, we're going to have him for a decade or more if he's not a bust and we keep him signed. meanwhile even if david wilson didn't have his spinal injury we're getting like 6 years of peak performance from him and that's just not worth a first round pick imo