SportsWrath

Giants Sign OL John Jerry

Mr. P

Art Stapleton @art_stapleton 9m

John Jerry signing would garner so much more attention if his name was Mara Reese.

Art Stapleton @art_stapleton 8m

Jerry earned positive grade from @PFF for his pass blocking this past season. Run blocking? Not so much.

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN 6m

Jerry was one of the Dolphins whom investigator Ted Wells said was involved in Miami's Bully-Gate scandal last year.

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina 3m

Jerry can play guard and tackle. He'll likely be the swing man OL, replacing Kevin Boothe.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – The Giants today brought in another experienced player to compete on their new-look offensive line when they signed John Jerry, who started all 16 games at right guard each of the last two last seasons for the Miami Dolphins.

RELATED NEWS

jerry_220_32114.jpg2014 Free Agency Central Jerry, 6-5 and 335 pounds, is the third offensive lineman to join the Giants since the free agency signing period began last week. The others were guard Geoff Schwartz and center J.D. Walton.

In four seasons with the Dolphins, Jerry played in 57 games with 45 starts. Most of his action was at right guard, but he also played left tackle. Chris Snee is the Giants’ incumbent right guard (despite missing the last 13 games in 2013 because of hip and elbow injuries that required surgery). Left tackle Will Beatty is recovering from a broken leg suffered in the season finale on Dec. 29.

Jerry, a University of Mississippi product, was a third round draft choice of the Dolphins in 2010, the 73rd overall selection. As a rookie, he played in 12 games with 10 starts at right guard. He made his NFL debut with a start at right at Buffalo on Sept. 12.

In 2011, Jerry played in 13 games with three starts – one at right guard and two late in the season at left tackle as a replacement for the injured Jake Long. He has started 33 consecutive games.

Jerry, 27, played in 49 games with 46 starts at Ole Miss, where he also played both guard and tackle. He previously starred at South Panola High School in Batesville, Miss.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-Sign-Free-Agent-OL-John-Jerry/33f0e790-85cc-43a6-ba26-363a3cb1d6d3

The NFL’s independent investigator found that Jerry, Mike Pouncey and Richie Incognito engaged “in a pattern of harassment” directed at not only Jonathan Martin, but other teammates and staff. Their verbal attacks contributed to Martin leaving the team, Wells found.

Efforts to reach Jerry’s camp for comment Sunday were unsuccessful.

While Jerry hasn’t drawn the degree of scrutiny that Incognito and Pouncey have since Wells released his findings, his behavior in some instances was the most egregious.

Among Jerry’s transgressions, according to Wells:

• He was the first to target Martin with name-calling at the beginning of the 2012 season, frequently calling him “b----.” When Martin didn’t push back on the language, it escalated.

• Telling Martin that he wanted to have sex with his mother and sister at the same time. Jerry was often the worst offender when it came to Martin’s sister, Wells said, “because once Jerry got started he often kept going incessantly.”

• Jerry would regularly demean Martin in front of teammates from other units, which Martin believed was intended to embarrass him.

• Taunting Martin for not being “black enough.”

• Touching former Dolphins lineman Andrew McDonald’s buttocks in a way that simulated anal penetration. (Jerry denied that this happened.)

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/17/3941216/jerrys-stock-suffers-after-report.html#storylink=cpy

Interesting signing. Really don't give a rat's ass about locker room bullshit - it goes on in every locker room (maybe not at that level). But working for TC, he'll clean up his act real quick. Hopefully, he's a good football player and this legal crap will go off into the sunset. Hell, if Ray Lewis can get into a fight and end up stabbing someone to death and still play football, I think this guy can get past a reputation for being a mouthy asshole in the clubhouse. In the Giants locker room, he'd be taken aside if he tried the kind of bullshit he pulled in Miami. Richie Incognito is the one who has taken the full blunt of the scandal....if that's what they are still calling it.

Hope he works out for us.

GM Jerry Reese on the signing of John Jerry:

"We did our homework on John, like we do with every player we sign. We were satisfied with the answers we got about John as a player and person."

"We did our homework on John, like we do with every player we sign. We were satisfied with the answers we got about John as a player and person."

That's good. Those backroom talks and proper vetting doesn't leak to the press so us fans can find out what really happened and what the coaches expect of him.

The Giants are a disciplined, class team (most the time - at least when they aren't shooting themselves in the leg at a nightclub or screwing an underage girl, etc.). Shit that flew in Miami (or Cincinnati, Oakland, Houston, etc.) doesn't fly in Giants' blue!

Interesting signing. Really don't give a rat's ass about locker room bullshit - it goes on in every locker room (maybe not at that level). But working for TC, he'll clean up his act real quick. Hopefully, he's a good football player and this legal crap will go off into the sunset. Hell, if Ray Lewis can get into a fight and end up stabbing someone to death and still play football, I think this guy can get past a reputation for being a mouthy asshole in the clubhouse. In the Giants locker room, he'd be taken aside if he tried the kind of bullshit he pulled in Miami. Richie Incognito is the one who has taken the full blunt of the scandal....if that's what they are still calling it.

Hope he works out for us.

I give a rats ass. Idk wtf Reese was thinking.

"John, if we sign you, will you be a good boy?"

"Yes Mr. Reese"

"Can you use a pen?"

"Yes"

"Sign the contract"

I give a rats ass. Idk wtf Reese was thinking.

I don't see why.

He and Richie what's his face were able to bully a grown man (LOL) into leaving the team, under a weak head coach and a organization that has been in shambles

He's coming into a Giant's team that wont tolerate that shit, especially not TC.

From what I read he's one of the best pass blocking guards in the league but is shabby in the run game, considering Eli needs an O-line and Pro Bowl WRs to be successful, JR is just trying to get the team there.

And it if the guy acts up you release him and get some one else, with Snee done we really dont even have two starting guards on the team till this guy signed.

I don't see why.

He and Richie what's his face were able to bully a grown man (LOL) into leaving the team, under a weak head coach and a organization that has been in shambles

He's coming into a Giant's team that wont tolerate that shit, especially not TC.

From what I read he's one of the best pass blocking guards in the league but is shabby in the run game, considering Eli needs an O-line and Pro Bowl WRs to be successful, JR is just trying to get the team there.

And it if the guy acts up you release him and get some one else, with Snee done we really dont even have two starting guards on the team till this guy signed.

I understand and agree with what you're saying. It's just the notion we shouldn't care about a players character isn't sitting well with me.

I understand and agree with what you're saying. It's just the notion we shouldn't care about a players character isn't sitting well with me.

I agree with that as well, you should be trying to put character guys on your team who will lead the team and mentor the rookies, not harass them.

However whenever a team wins a Superbowl, other teams copy what they did for success, when the Giant's won you seen teams trying to build that aggressive defense that gets to a QB. When Seattle won (with that aggressive defense) they showed you can have a locker room full of idiots and really assholes and still be successful, as long as your winning of course. Teams across the league have been signing guys like Jerry despite having character issues because despite being assholes in real life, they perform on the football field and in todays game when multi millions can be made or lost depending on the teams record, you know performance is going to beat issues anyday.

Heck it's why Will Hill is still on the team.

I don't see why.

I tend to agree, but more because he will walk the straight and narrow for the sake of his career. As much as we love TC and think he and the locker room are too strong for that kind of stuff, we had our own bullying/hazing situation very recently.