SportsWrath

5 Reasons the Giants are "All In" for the 2014 Season

BleedinBlue

Stole this from BBV SB Nation :

Analysis: Five reasons why the Giants are 'All In' for 2014

By Ed Valentine

Why the sudden splurge by the usually conservative Giants? We offer five possible reasons.

'Uncharacteristic' might be a good way to describe the massive blitzkrieg the New York Football Giants have been on during NFL Free Agency 2014. We know the Giants needed to shake things up after a second straight playoff-less season, but I doubt anyone outside of the Giants' Meadowlands Sports Complex offices saw this coming. So, what are the reasons for the sudden case of 'Jerry Reese Gone Wild?'

I can't claim to know exactly what Reese, head coach Tom Coughlin and co-owner John Mara are thinking -- other than knowing they need to get better players. I do have some theories as to why the Giants have suddenly pushed all of their chips to the center of the table and gone "All In" when it comes to building a roster for the 2014 season. Here are five of them:

1. Tom Coughlin: The Giants' head coach may feel like "a young guy in this business," but he really is an old guy in the coaching business -- oldest in the league at the moment. Coughlin will be 68 when the 2014 NFL season opens, and his time is running out. Whether that comes after the 2014 season, after his current contract expires following the 2015 season, or some time after that no one knows. The clock is ticking, however, and as long as Coughlin is on the sidelines the Giants need to do everything in their power to give him tools he has a chance to win with immediately, not the 'Island of Misfit Toys' roster they handed him a season ago.

2. Eli Manning: This is sort of an extension of my thoughts on Coughlin. Manning is 33 and has two years remaining on his six-year, $97.5 million contract. Do the Giants want to extend him at some point, probably after the 2014 season? Do they want to begin planning the post-Manning era of Giants' football? Manning has those two Super Bowl rings and is the most prolific quarterback in franchise history, but 2013 was about as ugly as it can get for Manning. If the Giants are going to make a proper judgment about whether or not Manning can be a championship-caliber quarterback for several more seasons, they need to put a quality supporting cast around him.

3. Philadelphia Eagles: Face it, the Eagles are absolutely loaded offensively. They have multiple weapons everywhere -- receiver, tight end, running back. How do you handle that? First and foremost, you need a stockpile of guys who can cover -- and the Giants have that now. You also have to have some dynamic playmakers of your own, which the Giants added with kick returners Quinton Demps and Trindon Holliday, along with running back Rashad Jennings.

4. The Salary Cap: The bump in the salary cap from $123 million to $133 million gave the Giants some room to maneuver. More importantly, though, are the expectations that the cap could balloon to as much as $160 million two seasons from now. Almost all of the players the Giants signed have agreed to either one-year deals or contracts that are very cap-friendly during the 2014 season with bigger payments down the road. This gave the Giants the ability to bring in players now, and figure out which ones to keep or pay the biggest money to down the road.

5. John Mara: The Giants' co-owner was obviously displeased with his product at the end of the 2013 season. Yes, there was that Super Bowl title. There have been four playoff-less seasons around it, however. There were also all of those obviously empty seats in MetLife Stadium for the Giants' final few home games in 2013. The status quo simply was not going to fly.

we're still not in the eagles' class. the attitude this offseason is better than previous seasons which is refreshing but this team still has major issues

I talk to a lot of Eagle fans at Greek Peak where I work. For whatever reason, tens of thousands of skiers from New Jersey and Philadelphia come to Greek Peak. Of course, I like to talk football with them. Almost all of them are unconvinced that Foles is a superstar QB in the making. They like him better than Vick, but are still not totally sold on him. They are very cautiously optimistic about their team, but also start spewing out details about what needs to be fixed.

I think the Eagles are probably the best team in the NFC East right now, but one big injury or many smaller ones can completely change the dynamics of any team. I think if we keep going the way we are, we can make a good case for winning the division. Must stay healthy though and Eli must be able to have confidence in the line in front of him.

Hey Bin. I didnt know you worked at Greek Peek. What do you do there? I worked winters there my self back when I was like 20 years old, doing security. That was like 18 years ago. Good times.

Anyhow I think as far as offense, no one really knows what we have, do to the new scheme we will be running. I have a feeling we might be pretty hard to stop. Everything Ive heard from the new OC sounded like some pretty good common sense. Some of the things he talked about, like setting up quick passes, taking pressure off the O-line, I know Ive been saying for years.

I do still hate Our DC though. Hope he can find a way to pull his head outta his ass this year.

I talk to a lot of Eagle fans at Greek Peak where I work. For whatever reason, tens of thousands of skiers from New Jersey and Philadelphia come to Greek Peak. Of course, I like to talk football with them. Almost all of them are unconvinced that Foles is a superstar QB in the making. They like him better than Vick, but are still not totally sold on him. They are very cautiously optimistic about their team, but also start spewing out details about what needs to be fixed.

I think the Eagles are probably the best team in the NFC East right now, but one big injury or many smaller ones can completely change the dynamics of any team. I think if we keep going the way we are, we can make a good case for winning the division. Must stay healthy though and Eli must be able to have confidence in the line in front of him.

yeah the line is still the key. our offseason moves make it look like we are going to take an OL with a high draft pick which is great. i personally think foles is legit but i don't blame eagle fans for being pessimists lol

Giants are all in every season. We are having the busiest free agency since the 2004 season because the Giants aren't under any pressure to re-sign any of its veterans considering the last two seasons. It would have been impossible to say goodbye to a number of veteran players after the super bowl, two poor seasons later and most will be playing elsewhere in 2014.

I see no reason the Eagles should be even a top ten concern on that list, sure they have weapons but I still would hang a question mark at the QB position. Nick Foles starting 16 games next season, can't wait to see it.

The eagles did win the division last year, making them the head of the class; but that class was still special ed. They have plenty of work to do as well. And just like us, they'll have made some successful choices, some bad ones, and have injuries/regressions/progressions. We'll see how everyone winds up.

We might not get there this year, but it won't be from lack of trying. I have to like that.

Hey Bin. I didnt know you worked at Greek Peek. What do you do there? I worked winters there my self back when I was like 20 years old, doing security. That was like 18 years ago. Good times.

Anyhow I think as far as offense, no one really knows what we have, do to the new scheme we will be running. I have a feeling we might be pretty hard to stop. Everything Ive heard from the new OC sounded like some pretty good common sense. Some of the things he talked about, like setting up quick passes, taking pressure off the O-line, I know Ive been saying for years.

I do still hate Our DC though. Hope he can find a way to pull his head outta his ass this year.

Ummm Hi :wub:

Great.. where have you been?

Oh man, since my second son was born, and since I went back to school I hardly have time to breath. Still working full time, and teaching my sons ju jit su class on top of it.

we're still not in the eagles' class. the attitude this offseason is better than previous seasons which is refreshing but this team still has major issues

They won't be in the Eagles class until they have rebuilt the offensive line.

I don't think we're far off the Eagles at all. You'd swear that they steamrolled over everybody. I wanna see Nick Foles have a second good season before we start talking about them in another class. Them winning the division has a ton to do with the fact that we sucked and even then didn't they have to win the last game of the season to win the division.

I like what we've done here this last week. We got killed last year with injuries only to find out we had no quality depth. Now we do. Plus our special teams has sucked for years now, and we've added some proper returners. Imagine this team getting to start at the 40 every now and then, or even running some back for a change.

You'll have to define loaded. Loaded to me would be the Seahawks, especially on defense. I look at the Eagles depth chart and I see the same issues if they get injuries like we got last year.

They have a good team and they had a coach who's ideas had never been seen in the NFL before. Of course they needed to be countered by us, they won the division. So far, based off of what we've done in free agency, we've seriously improved our depth.

We have no left tackle or tight end right now.

and a deep threat WR. Too many holes to fill this year so they chose OL and secondary. The draft will probably address the rest. I don't expect much this year. Shoring up the OL for the future is good strategy.

Oh man, since my second son was born, and since I went back to school I hardly have time to breath. Still working full time, and teaching my sons ju jit su class on top of it.

Glad to have you back bro.

We have no left tackle or tight end right now.

Beatty is fine... he suffered a broken leg not a torn ACL. And I'm really looking forward to the draft... and whatever holes we got can be plugged. This offseason exceeded my wildest expectations... Suddenly the OL is respectable with Pugh Snee (I believe he's going to be really good again), Watson, The New Guy we got from KC and Beatty.. And with a very good OL everything will get better instantly... yes we need a #1 WR and a solid TE but it's not like we hard a functional #1 the last 2 years anyway... Our biggest needs now are OLs for depth/future, TE, WR, 2 DEs.

and a deep threat WR. Too many holes to fill this year so they chose OL and secondary. The draft will probably address the rest. I don't expect much this year. Shoring up the OL for the future is good strategy.

well, they aren't #1 receivers by any stretch of imagination, but Randle and Manningham can both stretch the field.