SportsWrath

5 Reasons the Giants are "All In" for the 2014 Season

BleedinBlue

lets not go crazy. They've got some good players, and McCoy is elite, but.... loaded? They were just the smartest kid in special ed last season; a decent team in a bad division.

yes their offense was loaded last year and they just added sproles and (essentially) maclin.

unless they have a lot of injuries. then they're not loaded.

and while the pond was small last year, the eagles had a new coach and system to learn. it didn't all gel right away but by the end of the season they were running on all cylinders. New England has been winning bad divisions for a decade, doesn't mean they haven't been a very good team

well, they aren't #1 receivers by any stretch of imagination, but Randle and Manningham can both stretch the field.

Manningham's knee might be toast...we'll see what he has. Randel, while showing flashes, is a long strider...which to me means he's fast, not necessarily quick. So, for Randel to perform well, he needs a scheme to get him open...and he needs to know it and Eli needs to know it. Cruz...he's quick and fast...he can get himself open so long as he's not double covered.

Nicks, he was neither quick nor fast, but more of a hybrid of the two with the body that allowed him to shield defenders away from the ball. He also had pretty good hands.

So how much Manningham, Cruz, and Randel stretch the field is debatable. If we don't have a TE, it's a moot point. I don't know how many of you remember the years right before Shockey got here compared to the few years after. Our WRs were constantly covered by CBs with S over the top. Defenses ignored the middle of the field against us. Shockey's ability to go up the seam or over the middle changed that and gave us immediate success...not just in his ability, but in opening up things for the WRs. Currently, we are set up to repeat the pre-Shockey days unless we sign a TE who can at least catch a ball here and there to keep defenses honest. RB out of the backfield would be nice too for those 5-6 yard completions on 1st or 2nd down.

As for the Eagles being stacked...they won the division last season in a down year for the NFC East...but they still won the division and outplayed the Giants. So they deserve the respect until the Giants overtake them, which I'm certainly hoping for this year.

With D.Jackson-Maclin-McCoy-Celek (or the other TE they have who played well whose name escapes me)...and Foles being able to deliver the ball quickly into the playmakers' hands...they have the recipe for success on offense. Their defense is lackluster...but until we have more reason for confidence in our LT, RG, and C...I'm not holding my breath.

We have made a number of huge signings this offseason...but not every one of them will pay off. I hope they do, but it's unrealistic to expect them all to be A-grades. The front office is giving the coaching staff a shit-ton of talent...and the coaches are going to have their hands full putting the pieces together. It can come together, but there's a lot of work yet to do to make it happen.

And believe me, the Eagles are just sitting there watching what the Giants are doing without preparing themselves.

yes their offense was loaded last year and they just added sproles and (essentially) maclin.

unless they have a lot of injuries. then they're not loaded.

and while the pond was small last year, the eagles had a new coach and system to learn. it didn't all gel right away but by the end of the season they were running on all cylinders. New England has been winning bad divisions for a decade, doesn't mean they haven't been a very good team

well, it always comes down to injuries, thats just the NFL these days... Giants were a weak 7-9 last season, but they were also banged up to all hell, so who really knows what they have to offer. I honestly don't know if they're headed towards total rebuild or contention. No idea.

New England wins those weak divisions going away and has been doing it a long time. When Philadelphia is routinely deep in the playoffs after 13-3ish seasons, then lets crown their asses.

I've come around to what Chip Kelly is doing over there, but I'm not hyperventilating about competition that was weak division 10-6.

a little regression from the season nick foles had still puts him as a pro bowl caliber qb. nobody expects that kind of td:int ratio again but it's not unreasonable to expect him to be very good either

I think it's completely unrealistic for Nick Foles to have that type of year again. He's gonna regress.

His mechanics and read are legit. I think the Eagles have a franchise QB even if he doesn't perform as well as he did last season.

a little regression from the season nick foles had still puts him as a pro bowl caliber qb. nobody expects that kind of td:int ratio again but it's not unreasonable to expect him to be very good either

How did RGIII do in his second season again?

Beatty is fine... he suffered a broken leg not a torn ACL. And I'm really looking forward to the draft... and whatever holes we got can be plugged. This offseason exceeded my wildest expectations... Suddenly the OL is respectable with Pugh Snee (I believe he's going to be really good again), Watson, The New Guy we got from KC and Beatty.. And with a very good OL everything will get better instantly... yes we need a #1 WR and a solid TE but it's not like we hard a functional #1 the last 2 years anyway... Our biggest needs now are OLs for depth/future, TE, WR, 2 DEs.

He won't be able to workout on his leg until July. That is not exactly fine. Even so, when healthy, he still stinks.

True, but what are the odds there's only a little regression? Seemed like every time I flipped over to an Eagles game, Foles was putting the ball in the defenders hands.

Its tough to get a handle on them. I have a hard time seeing that offense catching teams off guard again, but Foles will be a year better - even if his statistics don't reflect it.

i don't think that offense will trick people as much as it will just overwhelm them. the pace is a factor for sure but they were already breaking people by sending super fast guys like mccoy and jackson in different directions. i don't even want to imagine what they'll do in packages where sproles is out there with them.

as for foles he passes the eye test with me. he definitely has some stuff to work on but i think the foundation is there

He won't be able to workout on his leg until July. That is not exactly fine. Even so, when healthy, he still stinks.

Idk why he wouldn't be able to work it out till July. A torn achellis which is far worse than a broken leg took me 3 months of physical therapy... I did the surgery in February and by May I could run.. granted not full speed but I was able to work it out... and Beaty's injury is a broken leg which isn't a bad injury at all.