SportsWrath

LT: Time for Coughlin to go

Treehugger

Lawrence Taylor: Time for Giants' Tom Coughlin to go

• By Dan Hanzus
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: Dec. 15, 2013 at 09:55 a.m.
  • Updated: Dec. 15, 2013 at 10:06 a.m.

Lawrence Taylor has plenty of respect for Tom Coughlin. That doesn't change his opinion it's time for the New York Giants coach to go.

"Tom Coughlin has done wonders for the Giants. Personally, I don't know if I could play for him, but the guy is a winner, he is a fighter," the former Giants great told The New York Post on Saturday night. "But I think it is time for him to take his talents on the road. He's done all he can do for the Giants. If he wants to coach, I think he needs to take his philosophies to another team.

"After a while, the players just stop listening. I respect the man, but it's time. As much as I like Coughlin and the job he has done, it's time for a shakeup."

Coughlin's place in the franchise firmament is secure. He's presided over two unlikely Super Bowlruns, feats that can earn unending rope for a coach and quarterback.

It helps to explain why Eli Manning has flown under the radar despite a 20-interception season that's played a major role in the Giants' 5-8 disappointment this season.

Taylor's opinion is shared by many Giants fans and perhaps even some within the organization's walls. But Coughlin's sacred cow status (that, and the one year remaining on his contract) will likely ensure the 66-year-old coach will be back for a 11th season in 2014.

I read that this morning and laughed. LT was a great linebacker who could put opponents in the hospital with outrageous hits. But his drug addiction, getting caught screwing an underage girl, etc., hardly gives one the idea that he is a rocket scientist and high IQ'd analyst.

He could be right that TC should go, but I certainly don't think LT is the kind of person who actually knows more than the inside management, analysts, and experts who spend hours talking to the coaches, players, and watching hours of film as they look to see why things aren't working.

Sending TC packing is not going to suddenly fix the offensive line and get Eli to throw better passes on a more consistent basis.

It's less that the players "stop listening" and more that his coordinators suck and refuse to evolve and adapt both philosophy-wise and in-game.

Absolutely, we have real problems with an aging team that seems to enjoy collecting huge paychecks, but don't want to exert themselves.

And BTW, if LT was so sharp and knew the answers to turning a team around - he'd be a high paid coach somewhere. He ain't!

I read that this morning and laughed. LT was a great linebacker who could put opponents in the hospital with outrageous hits. But his drug addiction, getting caught screwing an underage girl, etc., hardly gives one the idea that he is a rocket scientist and high IQ'd analyst.

He could be right that TC should go, but I certainly don't think LT is the kind of person who actually knows more than the inside management, analysts, and experts who spend hours talking to the coaches, players, and watching hours of film as they look to see why things aren't working.

Sending TC packing is not going to suddenly fix the offensive line and get Eli to throw better passes on a more consistent basis.

Maybe not- but some of these players look like they're just collecting a paycheck. That does not bode well for the coachimg.

I only agree with TC going because thats about the only way we will get a new DC

Because 16 points being on the field 75% of the game against an uphill battle of 3 turnovers and constantly defending a short field is terrible. Wrong side of the ball, my friend.

4 turnovers now.

It's less that the players "stop listening" and more that his coordinators suck and refuse to evolve and adapt both philosophy-wise and in-game.

either way, tht's on the HC. I haven't been able to watch many games this ear. But I was appaled at the lack of effort and fundamentals out there.

either way, tht's on the HC. I haven't been able to watch many games this ear. But I was appaled at the lack of effort and fundamentals out there.

Between me and you Blu...there must be at least 80 years of football experience... we have been watching the Giants since the 60's... I for one think its time to clean house... top to bottom...maybe keep Reese... put Eli on notice...and kick Cheerleader upstairs as a deputy GM...make him as relevant as a Vice President and a bucket of spit.. :D

Between me and you Blu...there must be at least 80 years of football experience... we have been watching the Giants since the 60's... I for one think its time to clean house... top to bottom...maybe keep Reese... put Eli on notice...and kick Cheerleader upstairs as a deputy GM...make him as relevant as a Vice President and a bucket of spit.. :D

Honestly, if I was Mara, I'd keep the core. Reese, TC, and Eli... but they're all on one-year notice. All coordinators and dead wood on the roster are shown the door.

The former three guys turn in another 5-11 season, I'd send them all packing and start from scratch.

Honestly, if I was Mara, I'd keep the core. Reese, TC, and Eli... but they're all on one-year notice. All coordinators and dead wood on the roster are shown the door.

The former three guys turn in another 5-11 season, I'd send them all packing and start from scratch.

Agreed .....HC is supposed to run practice, keep guys motivated, etc.....coordinators are supposed to run their units.....this shit goes back to Landry and Lombardi .....no need to reinvent the wheel, just get a fucking new offensive coordinator and preferably a DC that can dial up a decent blitz