SportsWrath

Scott cut, Giants bring in help for the Offensive line

Tempest

http://giantexile.com/posts/17349

In a rather surprising move, (though after this past game, maybe not) the Giants have released running back Da'Rel Scott. The team signed offensive lineman Dallas Reynolds in his place.

The news comes courtesy of Adam Schefter:

Giants waived running back Da’Rel Scott, their second-leading rusher this season.

Now, granted being the second-leading rusher of the New York Giants right now isn't saying much, but the team did essentially split carries between Scott and David Wilson on Sunday, and over the course of the season he amassed 98 yards and a touchdown through the air and 16 carries for 56 yards.

The Giants rushing attack will have to improve but, for now, the Giants mainly need help along the offensive line so adding some depth there at the expense of one ineffective running back may be the best option. David Wilson and Brandon Jacobs will look to pick up some of the slack left by Scott.

I don't know how good this Dallas Reynolds is, but we don't need more 2nd and 3rd tier o-lineman. Scott never panned out, but we also have a shortage of RB's as Wilson cannot carry the entire load and all we have is Cox to spell him. One injury and we're screwed.

I can see cutting a 2nd tier lineman and trying another 2nd tier lineman, but just adding more backup linemen and shorting ourselves of a RB is not going to solve the problems with this team. We need 1st tier lineman, not to mention that an awful lot of success of a RB has everything to do with the line in the first place.

But have to agree with Tree....this team is a mess. This move isn't going to fix our problems.

I think the Giant's are planning for Snee/Bass or someone to go on IR.

We don't need RBs since we don't have an O-line to block for them, so might as well bring in someone who might just help more then Scott which isnt all that hard to do at this point.

Hate to be that guy but what RBs do we have now? I sincerely hope Cox is a diamond in the rough because we currently have One Game Wonder Brown on IR, I am Going to Cry if I Fumble Again Wilson, Run in Mud Jacobs and Rookie Cox. Colour me un-impressed but unfortunately Scott was making a lot of mistakes; with Eli's help though. Also Scott was in on many crucial passing situations which makes him the best pass blocking RB. :ermm: Now ask yourself why wasn't Wilson in on those critical downs. Yes people it's probably that bad. Also Mr. Reynolds was the C for the Eagles and was cut. Yeah let that sink in.

As Tree succinctly put it; this is a mess.

Ok kinda surprised by the negative reaction to this move.

Snee, Baas and Diehl are out of the lineup right now. We have Beatty, Boothe, Brewer, Cordle Mosley and Pugh as the only offensive linemen healthy enough to play right now. If you think the Giants were going to bring in some pro bowl offensive lineman to help out, you aren't in touch with reality right now. We had to make Chris Snee re-work his contract again just to pay John Connor. We don't have money to go shopping for players. We need all the help we can get on the line.

Disappointing that Scott is gone but he left the team with few choices. He's made mistakes and they've been costly. He is a third down back on a team that is 11 for 48 on third down....23%.

Don't worry about who is going to run the ball with Scott gone, nobody else cares who is carrying the ball in the backfield unless its Eli.

Not trying to be overly negative but the season is looking bleak. Ohhh...well Scott did have that 1 nice touchdown against the Broncos in garbage time. I am also wondering if Scott wanted out to be honest. Maybe it's just me but Scott didn't seem very enthusiastic during games.