SportsWrath

With the 4th preseason game in the books...

Allstarjim

It's time to get an idea of how this 53 man roster is going to shake out. There are a number of questions with what to do with some of these players that are banged up. And no matter how these decisions are made for the initial 53, we could see players make the team and then be jettisoned as a more attractive option becomes available inside of a week. Nevertheless, I'll give it a shot knowing I've never hit this dead on, and probably never will. Player in bold are my likely "locks".

OFFENSE (25)

QBs (2)

Eli Manning

Ryan Nassib

RBs (3)

David Wilson

Ryan Torain*

Michael Cox*

FB (1)

Henry Hynoski

WR (5)

Hakeem Nicks

Victor Cruz

Rueben Randle

Louis Murphy

Julian Talley

TEs (3)

Brandon Myers

Bear Pascoe

Larry Donnell

OL (11)

William Beatty

Kevin Boothe

David Baas

Chris Snee

Justin Pugh

David Diehl

James Brewer

Brandon Mosley

Jim Cordle

Eric Herman

Selvish Capers

DEFENSE (25)

DL (10)

Justin Tuck

Jason Pierre-Paul

Matthias Kiwanuka

Damontre Moore

Linval Joseph

Cullen Jenkins

Johnathan Hankins

Mike Patterson

Marvin Austin

Justin Trattou

LBers (6)

Spencer Paysinger

Dan Connor

Keith Rivers

Mark Herzlich

Jacquian Williams

Kyle Bosworth

CBs (5)

Prince Amukamara

Corey Webster

Jayron Hosley

Aaron Ross

Terrell Thomas

S (4)

Antrel Rolle

Ryan Mundy

David Caldwell

Cooper Taylor

SPECIALS (3)

K Josh Brown

P Steve Weatherford

LS Zak DeOssie

Notable cuts, IR, and other stuff... There's an asterick by the backup running backs. I think that Da'Rel Scott is not making the team regardless. I do like Cox and think he and Torain is a strong bet. But I don't think it's settled. The Giants could release either of those players, or put Cox on the PS, and try to get a veteran RB to fill the void of Andre Brown. It wouldn't be like the Giants to go after a high profile name like Michael Turner, but he's out there... probably not a good fit because he's not a pass-catcher, and that's something you want out of a 3rd down running back, as the Giants look to replace Brown's role. How about Tim Hightower, though? He's still out there, and don't be surprised if he makes a return to the Giants, he could push someone off the roster.

As we know, there is a new injury designation as of last year for IR, that can allow you to keep one player and make him eligible to come back after 8 weeks, but during that time will be on IR. The Giants have two strong candidates in Adrien Robinson and Andre Brown. Despite Brown's larger role, I think they use the designation on Robinson. Robinson has the brighter future, and I think the Giants want to keep him. No word on the severity of his injury yet, just heard he is in a walking boot. If for some reason the Giants think that he will be back in just a couple of weeks, watch for Brown to go on the IR list, eligible to return, and Robinson to push Donnell off the roster.

Conspicuously missing is David Carr. I think the Giants are loathe to carry 3 QB's, especially considering the already carry an extra long-snapper, and they have spots for injured players they must keep, like David Diehl, whose absence could force them to keep an extra O-lineman for the time being, like Selvish Capers. David Carr did not play well at all in the preseason. Everyone knows the Giants have one of the most durable QBs in the NFL. And so, David Carr is released, and they roll the dice with Nassib as the backup, who just needs time to get up to speed. This is a risk, but it's not a bad one, and there is a roster squeeze necessitating it because of the injuries.

At WR, in years past we've gone with 6 players... not so this year. Too many needs elsewhere, and the fact that there are 4 solid contributors that will be ready to go, means that there are a lot of guys competing for 1 spot. Jerrell Jernigan solidifies his status as a 3rd round bust. He never distinguished himself and has very little value on specials. Ditto for Ramses Barden. Talley on the other hand, can play specials, and also is a good route runner. I like him and think he deserves the spot, and am routing for him. Wouldn't it be great to have found two diamonds at WR from UMASS?

And now to look at the defense... there will be difficult decisions made on that DL. Some team should pick our scraps, because there will be some fine players let go. Mike Patterson and Marvin Austin both played very well this preseason. Justin Trattou has been consistently good. It's a huge upset to not have Adrian Tracy making the team, but I think Trattou is the better player. I have Ojomo, Broha, and Shaun Rogers also cut. In the case of the first two guys, I think the Giants will try to get them on the PS. But they've played well, and wouldn't be surprised to see them in another uni. Markus Kuhn to PUP.

At Linebacker, Giants only have 6 players, and I think the only guy who is not a lock is Bosworth. But to me, he should make it. He's played with great intensity and he's good on specials from what I've seen. And you really need a backup behind Rivers knowing his injury history.

At CB, I went with the experienced guys. Trumaine McBride, Charles James, and Terrence Frederick are my cuts. These guys have had their moments but it's a numbers game. T2 I think is on the bubble. Aaron Ross I think is pretty safe given his track record and knowledge of the system.

At Safety, it's interesting. What to do with Tyler Sash? He suffered a concussion, so I think there is a list for that so it won't count against the roster. Will Hill is suspended for the first 4 games, and boy could the Giants use him. Without him or Sash, it's David Caldwell and Cooper Taylor, and I think the Giants don't want to see much of either of them. This is not an ideal situation. Taylor is too raw and Caldwell is a castoff from the Colts, and not a guy you really want playing big minutes. But here we go.

We'll see what happens soon!

I think we'd have a much better chance cutting a guy like Capers and being able to get him on the practice squad than cutting Ojomo and doing the same. In other words, if both Capers and Ojomo were on the PS, Ojomo is the first picked by another team. Because of this, I'm in favor of throwing Capers on the PS instead.

I also have to believe that Carr stays and we're forced into 3 QBs this year. This is part of the reason I didn't agree with the Nassib pick, but I'll let that go because he's a Giant at this point.

Glad that my FF league draft is Monday...AFTER preseason is over. Never understood why leagues draft during preseason.

Well, I agree with you guys as far as conventional thinking. I wanted to slot David Carr in there, but 1) he has not played well this preseason, and 2) that's a valuable spot, I suppose you can put Capers on the PS, but Capers is a guy that can back up at OT. Without Diehl to start the season, if Beatty goes down, then you have to slide Pugh over or you have to put Brewer there. In the former, you might put Brewer in at RT. Brewer has looked very good inside, notsomuch outside. Capers is our best OT backup we have, I'm including Diehl in that mix even though he's injured. So who are you going to cut? Because you can't cut from my defense. It has to come from the offensive side, and I'm already only carrying 5 WR.

Regarding Ojomo, I like him, and yeah, we'll probably lose him. I also like Adrian Tracy, and even Matt Broha. But Trattou has played the best. And you can't keep them all. You're already keeping 4 locks in JPP, Tuck, Kiwi, and DaMonster. I don't think you can conceivably carry 6 DE's. And with Cullen Jenkins' ability to also play outside, you might see TC carry only those first 4 and the other bubble guys cut, Trattou included. Either way, there's only a realistic chance for one of the group out of Tracy, Trattou, Ojomo, and Broha of making this roster, and my pick based on what I've seen in preseason is Trattou.

I don't know if this is what you would do if you were coach, or if this is how you think it will play out, but the giants will not only keep eli and nassib.

And yes, I would do it. TC goes with 2 QBs nearly every year. And I get that Nassib is a rookie and isn't ready. And truth be told, if Eli goes down, then we are probably going to lose that game with Nassib in there. However, that is the chance you take because, 1) Eli is the most durable QB in the league and that is a fairly safe gamble, 2) We would only be talking one game because if he did go down, then you sign a free agent QB (maybe Carr again) to come back in and play the following week, and 3) Carr has been so ineffective the drop off from Carr to Nassib might not be as steep as one would think.

Plus as long as Eli is healthy, you have time to coach Nassib up, and continue to get him ready to go. It's not as if he has to be ready tomorrow.

Is it a gamble, yes. Do I think the Giants are going to do this? Probably not because TC is so conservative. But I would do it and I hope they do.

Painter looked awful until 3rd or 4th game, I hate the fact that he's on the pedestal now.

I'm too worried about Painter.

Don't just look at the QB, look at the cast playing with him... Painter and Nassib can't be truly evaluated if their OL is a bunch of scrubs who will not make the team. We know what Carr is made of and it's not rosy... Painter imo is better than Carr.

At Safety, it's interesting. What to do with Tyler Sash? He suffered a concussion, so I think there is a list for that so it won't count against the roster. Will Hill is suspended for the first 4 games, and boy could the Giants use him. Without him or Sash, it's David Caldwell and Cooper Taylor, and I think the Giants don't want to see much of either of them. This is not an ideal situation. Taylor is too raw and Caldwell is a castoff from the Colts, and not a guy you really want playing big minutes. But here we go.

When did Sash get hurt....I missed that, he was finally starting to get healthy and play fast and this has to happen.

I agree on Taylor and Caldwell....Taylor looked good on special teams but was lost in covervage.....(but it was only his first game of the season)...I didn't hear Caldwells name...on preseason.

Fuck.

Maybe there will be some cuts on other teams we can pick off a S or LB.

C. Wagon

Caldwell has started in the league before, and his inclusion is really only by necessity. There was a moment in the game after Sash was in on a tackle, it was helmet to helmet, where he hunched over and looked like he really had his bell rung. He was back in a couple of plays later, but then left the game... it was revealed later he suffered a concussion.

It's time to get an idea of how this 53 man roster is going to shake out. There are a number of questions with what to do with some of these players that are banged up. And no matter how these decisions are made for the initial 53, we could see players make the team and then be jettisoned as a more attractive option becomes available inside of a week. Nevertheless, I'll give it a shot knowing I've never hit this dead on, and probably never will. Player in bold are my likely "locks".

OFFENSE (25)

QBs (2)

Eli Manning

Ryan Nassib

RBs (3)

David Wilson

Ryan Torain*

Michael Cox*

FB (1)

Henry Hynoski

WR (5)

Hakeem Nicks

Victor Cruz

Rueben Randle

Louis Murphy

Julian Talley

TEs (3)

Brandon Myers

Bear Pascoe

Larry Donnell

OL (11)

William Beatty

Kevin Boothe

David Baas

Chris Snee

Justin Pugh

David Diehl

James Brewer

Brandon Mosley

Jim Cordle

Eric Herman

Selvish Capers

DEFENSE (25)

DL (10)

Justin Tuck

Jason Pierre-Paul

Matthias Kiwanuka

Damontre Moore

Linval Joseph

Cullen Jenkins

Johnathan Hankins

Mike Patterson

Marvin Austin

Justin Trattou

LBers (6)

Spencer Paysinger

Dan Connor

Keith Rivers

Mark Herzlich

Jacquian Williams

Kyle Bosworth

CBs (5)

Prince Amukamara

Corey Webster

Jayron Hosley

Aaron Ross

Terrell Thomas

S (4)

Antrel Rolle

Ryan Mundy

David Caldwell

Cooper Taylor

SPECIALS (3)

K Josh Brown

P Steve Weatherford

LS Zak DeOssie

Notable cuts, IR, and other stuff... There's an asterick by the backup running backs. I think that Da'Rel Scott is not making the team regardless. I do like Cox and think he and Torain is a strong bet. But I don't think it's settled. The Giants could release either of those players, or put Cox on the PS, and try to get a veteran RB to fill the void of Andre Brown. It wouldn't be like the Giants to go after a high profile name like Michael Turner, but he's out there... probably not a good fit because he's not a pass-catcher, and that's something you want out of a 3rd down running back, as the Giants look to replace Brown's role. How about Tim Hightower, though? He's still out there, and don't be surprised if he makes a return to the Giants, he could push someone off the roster.

As we know, there is a new injury designation as of last year for IR, that can allow you to keep one player and make him eligible to come back after 8 weeks, but during that time will be on IR. The Giants have two strong candidates in Adrien Robinson and Andre Brown. Despite Brown's larger role, I think they use the designation on Robinson. Robinson has the brighter future, and I think the Giants want to keep him. No word on the severity of his injury yet, just heard he is in a walking boot. If for some reason the Giants think that he will be back in just a couple of weeks, watch for Brown to go on the IR list, eligible to return, and Robinson to push Donnell off the roster.

Conspicuously missing is David Carr. I think the Giants are loathe to carry 3 QB's, especially considering the already carry an extra long-snapper, and they have spots for injured players they must keep, like David Diehl, whose absence could force them to keep an extra O-lineman for the time being, like Selvish Capers. David Carr did not play well at all in the preseason. Everyone knows the Giants have one of the most durable QBs in the NFL. And so, David Carr is released, and they roll the dice with Nassib as the backup, who just needs time to get up to speed. This is a risk, but it's not a bad one, and there is a roster squeeze necessitating it because of the injuries.

At WR, in years past we've gone with 6 players... not so this year. Too many needs elsewhere, and the fact that there are 4 solid contributors that will be ready to go, means that there are a lot of guys competing for 1 spot. Jerrell Jernigan solidifies his status as a 3rd round bust. He never distinguished himself and has very little value on specials. Ditto for Ramses Barden. Talley on the other hand, can play specials, and also is a good route runner. I like him and think he deserves the spot, and am routing for him. Wouldn't it be great to have found two diamonds at WR from UMASS?

And now to look at the defense... there will be difficult decisions made on that DL. Some team should pick our scraps, because there will be some fine players let go. Mike Patterson and Marvin Austin both played very well this preseason. Justin Trattou has been consistently good. It's a huge upset to not have Adrian Tracy making the team, but I think Trattou is the better player. I have Ojomo, Broha, and Shaun Rogers also cut. In the case of the first two guys, I think the Giants will try to get them on the PS. But they've played well, and wouldn't be surprised to see them in another uni. Markus Kuhn to PUP.

At Linebacker, Giants only have 6 players, and I think the only guy who is not a lock is Bosworth. But to me, he should make it. He's played with great intensity and he's good on specials from what I've seen. And you really need a backup behind Rivers knowing his injury history.

At CB, I went with the experienced guys. Trumaine McBride, Charles James, and Terrence Frederick are my cuts. These guys have had their moments but it's a numbers game. T2 I think is on the bubble. Aaron Ross I think is pretty safe given his track record and knowledge of the system.

Nice post.

At running back, I was impressed with Da'Rel Scott. I really think this team needs a punishing runner, and Scott is pretty much the closest they have to that. I think Andre Brown is simply too injury prone to count on anymore....I'd IR him for 8 games and then revisit the situation halfway through the season. Scott can run, and run hard.

At linebacker, I think they just keep the 6 guys they've got and hope they are better than last year. Reese had no strategy for the position this year, so I've given up on it. If the defense sucks again this year, nobody should be surprised.

At QB, I'd practice squad Nassib, and hope he clears waivers.....if some other team takes him, it's really not a big loss, because that pick was sideways from the get-go. I really would be sick to my stomach if they release a DT who can actually play this season in order to accommodate one of Reese's wacky pet projects.

Joe, I thought that Scott ran well in this last preseason game, but words like punishing and running hard are not attributes that I think of given his body of work. Are u sure ur not thinking of Michael Cox? Scott has been notorious for going down on first contact from where I sit.