SportsWrath

Rolle

Bigblue25

Giants S Rolle leaves practice on cart after injury

by Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

August 12, 2013 6:57 PM ET

Giants safety Antrel Rolle was carted off the practice field Monday after suffering a right foot injury, according to several reporters on the scene.

@TomRock_Newsday: Antrel carted off. pic.twitter.com/92O2Rdm8JS....yikes.

For now, there are no details on the severity of the injury.

Rolle, originally drafted by the Cardinals as a cornerback, came to the Giants in 2010 where he's been a starting safety the last three seasons. He's never missed a game in his three years in New York, registering 233 tackles, 13 passes defended, five interceptions and three forced fumbles.

Tyler Sash and rookie Taylor Cooper are listed as backups behind Rolle.

[/Quote]

http://m.cbssports.com/s/36896/24?arenaAbbr=all&arenaName=Home&articleId=23115245&teamId=404&leagueId=59&newsType=arena&platform=webapp

Foot injuries can take a long time to heal and until they are healed, there's no way to play the way you need to. Bad news for Rolle, great news for Sash.

Hopefully, it's a minor sprain that just needs a couple of weeks of babying.

C. Has it right.... AGAIN I might add. Rolle's value is so overlooked. He is just a consistent player, always where he should be and is always making the big tackle in space. We need Rolle on this defense.

He's ok... but not for the money he's getting. I predict this maybe his last year.

I've pretty much always thought of Rolle's versatility in the secondary as one of the best parts of our defense. I still think his salary is a bit high, but playing either safety or covering the slot or playing in the box as the 3rd safety...he's been there. He hasn't always been the best, but he's certainly been solid across the board. If he misses any significant time, he'll be missed in a big, big way.

That said, we do have depth at safety with Brown, Mundy, Sash, and Taylor who have all had their praises sung here and there in the offseason. So while it's a dropoff from Rolle to any of these guys, it's not as big a dropoff as we might have at other positions and we have a little time to bring one of these guys along a little quicker, playing with the starters.

It'll fortify our depth if Rolle is out for some time, but I for one, hope that Rolle is back sooner than later.

Rolle is the QB of the defense. Without him in the lineup is like having Eli out of the lineup for the offense. Hopefully he is willing to restructure his contract for the good of the team because he is very expensive to keep.

Given the performance of that defense I'd say that "QB of the defense" isn't doing a good job. He was as lost as Ross on quite a few plays the past few years.

Given the performance of that defense I'd say that "QB of the defense" isn't doing a good job. He was as lost as Ross on quite a few plays the past few years.

Not Rolle's fault nobody listened to him. Emo Tuck was named captain. Rolle played out of position, a few times to fill in for injured players. Also, I think Rolle got blamed for plays that weren't his fault(I.e Collinsworth). When he is free to roam, he is great.

He doesn't decide what defense to play....that's Fewell's baby. What he does is understand what play is likely to happen based on analyzing the offensive formation and then calling out to the other guys what's about to happen. He doesn't make decisions like going with a 4-2-3 defense or lining guys up with weakside linebackers playing strongside, and vice versa....those shots are called by Mr. Fewell.