SportsWrath

Was Last Year's Defense Really that Bad?

BleedinBlue

It is well published that the Giants were the second worst team on defense last, only surpassed by the Saints.

But if you sift through the stats, you discover that maybe it's a little skewed.

Total defense is not rated by "points allowed", but "yardage allowed". The Saints allowed an incredible amount of yards to be piled up on them and also "points".....454 total points to be exact. The Giants on the other hand allowed 344 total points by opponents.

But the Giants also were able to keep opponents from scoring much better than many other teams. For instance, the Saints allowed an average of 29 points to be scored on them, while the Giants allowed 21...and that number is somewhat skewed based on a couple of bad games (Cincinnati running up 31 pts in a lopsided loss; the humiliating blowout by Atlanta when we lost 34-0; and the ass whupping we got by the eventual SB champion Ravens). We also held the high scoring offense-minded Packers to 10 points, and the Eagles to just 7 points in the final game of the season....so there were moments our defense was sharp.

If you rank defenses by points allowed, the Giants rank 20th.

This doesn't mean that our defense wasn't that bad, because it was bad....the worst Giants' defense I can remember in a long time....especially in our total inability to stop the run.

Regardless....we have a lot of new faces on this year's team and I think we've addressed that issue pretty well by shoring up the defensive line and I (unlike a lot of you) am quite optimistic about our linebackers.

I think this coming season we'll see a dramatic improvement in our overall defense. I'm nervous about our CB's, but who knows....maybe Webster will play out of his mind with his contract running out at the end of the season. Let's hope.

You are what your record says you are...and that wasn't good enough to make the playoffs, compete with the eventual SB champs, or even win our own division.

I like some of the moves we've made this offseason, but I think that we're going to have a tough time this year on defense unless Tuck mans the fuck up. The defense really hinged on him and he dropped the ball in a big way. I think JPP was forced into the #1 concern for defenses a year too early for him. That defensive line needs to create pressure ALL the time...not just in their 4 aces or NASCAR or whatever the hell they want to call it. Stop the run, create pressure...that's all they need to do to be successful and they did neither last year.

I'm hoping for the best, but I'll approach it with cautionary optimism.

There were games in which we did not allow a lot of points, but the defense clearly lost us the game. The second Washington game comes to mind. We only allowed 17 points, but Washington held the ball for over 10 minutes in the 4th quarter alone. An over 6 minute drive from the end of the third to the beginning of the 4th Quarter that resulted in a TD, and then an 8 play, game ending drive that was almost 4 minutes... when we had to have a stop, we couldn't get one, and in that drive there was 7 runs and 1 pass play. They just ran it down our throats.

When I think of horrible defensive performances of last season, that game sticks out like a sore thumb, but we only allowed 17 points. 207 yards rushing allowing, 6.7 yards per rush. And if it weren't for an Alfred Morris fumble inside our 10, that game might not have been as close. I will say, the defense wasn't absolutely miserable in the first half of that game. The lesson here is you don't really gain much by looking at one statistic. You have to look at many of them to tell the story, and even then, IMO, there's no substitute for the eye test.

I think yards allowed are a better representation of the defense.

If your offense sucks, and you are constantly operating in terrible field position, you are more likely to give up field goals, even if your defense is playing great.

Actually, I'd love it if the statisticians could provide some sort of weighting based on time remaining and score differential.....the strategy of a defense changes when you are looking to keep the clock running, and you have a big lead.....you protect the sidelines, and funnel everything into the middle of the field, giving up yards for time off the clock.

But by any metric, our defense sucked complete ass, and in the case of last year, you can throw the stats out the window and just look at the Falcons and Ravens games........our defense, with the entire season on the line, folded up like a lawn chair and got stomped.

The only thing this defense did well was turnovers...and if not for the turnovers, the stats would look even uglier, because they couldn't sack the QB, stop the run, or defend against the pass late in the season.

There were games in which we did not allow a lot of points, but the defense clearly lost us the game. The second Washington game comes to mind. We only allowed 17 points, but Washington held the ball for over 10 minutes in the 4th quarter alone. An over 6 minute drive from the end of the third to the beginning of the 4th Quarter that resulted in a TD, and then an 8 play, game ending drive that was almost 4 minutes... when we had to have a stop, we couldn't get one, and in that drive there was 7 runs and 1 pass play. They just ran it down our throats.

When I think of horrible defensive performances of last season, that game sticks out like a sore thumb, but we only allowed 17 points. 207 yards rushing allowing, 6.7 yards per rush. And if it weren't for an Alfred Morris fumble inside our 10, that game might not have been as close. I will say, the defense wasn't absolutely miserable in the first half of that game. The lesson here is you don't really gain much by looking at one statistic. You have to look at many of them to tell the story, and even then, IMO, there's no substitute for the eye test.

Great points.....the Redskins game highlighted the importance of having good linebackers, IMHO.

I think yards allowed are a better representation of the defense.

If your offense sucks, and you are constantly operating in terrible field position, you are more likely to give up field goals, even if your defense is playing great.

Actually, I'd love it if the statisticians could provide some sort of weighting based on time remaining and score differential.....the strategy of a defense changes when you are looking to keep the clock running, and you have a big lead.....you protect the sidelines, and funnel everything into the middle of the field, giving up yards for time off the clock.

But by any metric, our defense sucked complete ass, and in the case of last year, you can throw the stats out the window and just look at the Falcons and Ravens games........our defense, with the entire season on the line, folded up like a lawn chair and got stomped.

The only thing this defense did well was turnovers...and if not for the turnovers, the stats would look even uglier, because they couldn't sack the QB, stop the run, or defend against the pass late in the season.

Very true.

The devastating ass whipping we got from Atlanta was the most humiliating defeat I can remember in years - and I remember a lot of heartbreakers. But the Atlanta game wasn't a heartbreaker, it was an exposure of a defense that was utterly clueless. I blame apathy on players and a defensive coordinator who was taken to the woodshed by an offensive coordinator who knew how to exploit our defense and had a better knowledge of our defense than Fewell. Terribly humiliating.

There was another stat from last year that was something along the lines of "no Giants defense had given up so many points in the past 50 years" that I kept hearing over and over again.

We were the 31st ranked defense and as stated, when it was important, these guys didn't deliver. The defense was terrible and embarrassing, and honestly, Fewell's defense has never finished in the top half of the league while he's been with the Giants.

I have no idea why:

1. Fewell is still our DC.

2. We didn't take a sniff at either Lovie Smith or Romeo Crennel. Hell, most of us would welcome Spags back with open arms.

3. We refuse to acquire an NFL-caliber linebacker.

I've got our defense finishing in the bottom-third of the league again this year.

There was another stat from last year that was something along the lines of "no Giants defense had given up so many points in the past 50 years" that I kept hearing over and over again.

We were the 31st ranked defense and as stated, when it was important, these guys didn't deliver. The defense was terrible and embarrassing, and honestly, Fewell's defense has never finished in the top half of the league while he's been with the Giants.

I have no idea why:

1. Fewell is still our DC.

2. We didn't take a sniff at either Lovie Smith or Romeo Crennel. Hell, most of us would welcome Spags back with open arms.

3. We refuse to acquire an NFL-caliber linebacker.

I've got our defense finishing in the bottom-third of the league again this year.

All this^ though I think the role of defensive coordinator is overrated as to blame or credit. the talent has to be there.

The thing is though, the defense under Fewell was capable of playing well enough to win a 2nd Super Bowl.

From what I remember in 2011, Fewell simplified the defensive coverages, and the pass defense improved. They also re-signed Chase, and that added a much-needed brain to the defensive signal calling.

The question I have is did Fewell revert back to the complicated stuff that our defense couldn't grasp in 2012? I honestly don't know the answer.

There was only one defense in the NFL worse than ours last season... Spags'.

Wasn't that his first season with the Saints? If I recall correctly he wasn't exactly stellar on his first season with us either.

Wasn't that his first season with the Saints? If I recall correctly he wasn't exactly stellar on his first season with us either.

So a SB win wasnt a stellar season?

No wonder why people are never happy with the last two SB wins if they were nothing stellar.

This brought a tear to my eye.

It really doesn't matter how great your offense is, if they never get on the field. Ask the 1990 Bills.

That was also a big difference between 2011 and 2012. Manning had far fewer chances for those 4th quarter comebacks, because the defense couldn't make a stop if their lives depended on it.

So a SB win wasnt a stellar season?

No wonder why people are never happy with the last two SB wins if they were nothing stellar.

What have you done for me lately? Our D was ranked 31 out of 32... do I really need to go any further? And what Jim said is spot on... we couldn't stop anyone or get off the fucking field... Fewel isn't good at being a DC... he's a step above Tim Lewis and Bill Sheridan.

What have you done for me lately? Our D was ranked 31 out of 32... do I really need to go any further? And what Jim said is spot on... we couldn't stop anyone or get off the fucking field... Fewel isn't good at being a DC... he's a step above Tim Lewis and Bill Sheridan.

Two SB wins in the last six years?

I'm starting to think this fan base would of been better off if the Giants never even made the SB in those years, that way people could at least have a reason to act like the Giant's have never accomplished anything.

Two SB wins in the last six years?

I'm starting to think this fan base would of been better off if the Giants never even made the SB in those years, that way people could at least have a reason to act like the Giant's have never accomplished anything.

Was referring to Fewel and his crappy defense. If you're ok with being 31st, that's you... I'm not.

Being ranked 31st out of 32 teams is based solely on yards. We were 20th on points allowed...which isn't good, but the 31st figure is a little misleading.

I readily admit that we have a problem with the "Read-option" offense, which works like a charm against teams with a very aggressive defense. Hence, the offense blocks all but one player and the QB watches that lone player to see what he is going to do and as soon as that guy commits to 1 of 2 choices, then the QB acts accordingly and goes the opposite direction, whether keeping the ball and running or a play-action pass. With the advent of RGIII and other running QB's, we have to figure that out. If we were not trying to sack the QB on every play, we would be a lot better at stopping the read-option plays that devastated us last year...in particular, the Skins who racked up ridiculous yards against us that has to be factored into the yards-against category..

Being ranked 31st out of 32 teams is based solely on yards. We were 20th on points allowed...which isn't good, but the 31st figure is a little misleading.

I readily admit that we have a problem with the "Read-option" offense, which works like a charm against teams with a very aggressive defense. Hence, the offense blocks all but one player and the QB watches that lone player to see what he is going to do and as soon as that guy commits to 1 of 2 choices, then the QB acts accordingly and goes the opposite direction, whether keeping the ball and running or a play-action pass. With the advent of RGIII and other running QB's, we have to figure that out. If we were not trying to sack the QB on every play, we would be a lot better at stopping the read-option plays that devastated us last year...in particular, the Skins who racked up ridiculous yards against us that has to be factored into the yards-against category..

Based on the # of Zantacs I needed during the Redskins game alone, I'd say Fewel is an F. We were 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

Based on the # of Zantacs I needed during the Redskins game alone, I'd say Fewel is an F. We were 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

Last year our division was better and Eli was not lights out....and our defense sucked