SportsWrath

Best Idea I've Heard Yet on How To Fix the NFL Draft

BleedinBlue

From FootballHack:

The Draft, time for some changes?

The hardcore fans love it, the pundits live it, but I;m not that impressed with it. Listening to the commentators speculate what pick will turn around a franchise and which was a reach is nonsensical to me given their "expert" track record. I know they have tried harder in recent years to make it more entertaining, but I couldn't watch more than an hour before getting bored out of my mind. Sure I watched my team's first pick live like many of you, I promptly turned it off shortly after and read up on the rest of the picks late Sunday.

For the most part the Draft has not changed in the modern era (salaries aside). Every year they surround the draft with more pomp and fanfare in an effort to garner broader fan interest. Perhaps it's time to make some wholesale changes to make it truly more exciting and random.

Keep the first round as it is (like I said even I watched that), but in the following 6 rounds have a lottery instead. Give each team 6 "bingo balls" (for lack of a better description), with the bottom 1/4 quarter of teams getting 1 extra (performance from the previous year), the bottom 1/2 getting 1 extra, and the bottom 3/4 getting 1 extra (effectively giving the bottom 1/4 teams 3 extra picks, the bottom half 2 extra picks, and the bottom 3/4 1 extra pick). Then start randomly drawing. Once a selection is picked other teams could trade any number of their remaining "balls" or future first round picks to the selected team to "trade up". Perhaps its crazy talk but who knows, might keep me watching longer to see who gets to pick when, and who gets lucky with multiple first high round picks.

Impractical? Probably. More entertaining than what we have now? you bet.

So you want to randomise the draft to make it better for tv? I'd rather have boring draft coverage and a proper draft, thanks.

The problem with winning the Superbowl, or having a good season...is that you are going to have to draft leftovers after all the proven players are off the board.

It would remain the same for the first round, but after that, each team would have a chance to possibly move up and get a higher pick. The worst teams would still have better chance than the better teams because they'd have 4 times as many balls in the jar. Statistically, it wouldn't change a whole lot, but every once in awhile, the Giants might get a chance at drafting near the top of the order instead of right behind the Cowboys and Eagles.

What a stupid idea

Pretty much.

Although I always wondered what would happen if the NFL never had a draft one year, just let teams sign players to contracts fresh outta college.

Teams like Dallas would be fucked due to being in cap hell but teams like the Jags who always are way under the cap could possibly sign a few guys who would normally go within the top five picks of a draft.

Once again a stupid idea much like this lotto, I'm perfectly fine with the way the draft is set up.

This is certainly NOT something I want to see either. Keep the order determined the way it is.

1. Current system creates parity, proposed system could kill parity.

2. Current system bases its draft order based on results, proposed system bases it on luck.

3. Current system places an emphasis on coaching in that good teams will need it by not being able to draft the top talent, proposed system will lessen that impact.

4. Trading balls? That just sounds gay and I don't like my football being gay.

This is certainly NOT something I want to see either. Keep the order determined the way it is.

1. Current system creates parity, proposed system could kill parity.

2. Current system bases its draft order based on results, proposed system bases it on luck.

3. Current system places an emphasis on coaching in that good teams will need it by not being able to draft the top talent, proposed system will lessen that impact.

4. Trading balls? That just sounds gay and I don't like my football being gay.

One of my favorite clips... (for those of who hadn't see this they're making fun of the Prius)... check out 0:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd45q1qyHZw

Damn you guys are brutal. But Bleedin', no, just no. That's very gimmicky and I don't think there is anything with the current draft set up that needs fixing. Some people don't like the Thurs/Friday primetime change. I don't mind it. I'd prefer it be just Friday night for 1st and 2nd round, then go Saturday and Sunday for the remainder of the draft, but I'm fine with how it is. That's the only minor tweak I would make. The NFL draft is the most popular draft of the major sports, and for good reason. It's not gimmicky, you can plan your draft, everyone knows where everyone else is, and it makes for good strategizing and it's fair.

I ain't a big college fan other than watching a few big bowl games. Therefore the first two round is what I watch for. For the NFL to run the draft a whole weekend thing is insane IMO. They have a great product and they know it. People would even flack to see team mascot boxing (if you create it they will come)....

I only watch the draft to watch player I've never heard of the Giants draft so I can get upset for 30 seconds only to realize those guys do this for a living... then follow it up with the "experts" giving us C grades, and hear Joe complain about how the Giants don't draft LBs :D

I understand the whole idea that worst teams get the best picks, best teams get the worst picks. But it's particularly important in the first round and to some extent, the second round. After that, the worst teams have already gotten their advantage picks.

I am for anything that shakes it up from the third round on.

When I used to play fantasy baseball and football....the winner from the previous year would get the last pick of the first round, then get the first pick of the second round as each subsequent round was reversed.

It's like Chinese water torture waiting for the Giants to finally get their chance to draft so anything that would shake things up and give the better teams a chance - even a small chance - at getting a higher pick would make it exciting to me.

The NFL is admitting that rounds 3 - 7 are boring and they are entertaining an idea to fix that. Here's their big plan:

Draft could become a multi-city affair

by Mike Florio on June 11, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT

For anyone who has attended the draft in New York City, it’s clear that the second evening and the third day lack the sizzle of the first night of the event.

The NFL knows it, too. Which could result in a dramatic change for the event.

The draft could be moving. To three cities in three days.

According to Don Banks of SI.com, the league is considering uprooting the draft from New York City and splitting the event over three cities per year, possibly with some geographic connection among the locations.

Banks presents as a potential for instance the first round happening in Chicago, the second and third rounds occurring in Detroit, and the balance taking place in Minnesota. (Packers fans, we're merely passing along Banks' example.)

The possibility remains in the planning stages, and the goal would be a fan-focused NFL road show that dispenses with the outdated exercise of manually delivering a card from a desk to the podium, like it's a pizza.

In addition to lower costs resulting from team employees staying home, the league could realize increased revenues. As Banks points out, the destination of the draft could become the subject of a scaled-down Super Bowl competition, with cities offering all sorts of packages premised on, as Jim Irsay would call it, "SERIOUS Coin".

The multi-city proposal wouldn't limit viewership, but methinks Radio City would have to alter prices for attendees given they're only there 1 day as opposed to 3. Not to mention, now what do you do with the draft prospect that was invited to the draft that doesn't get selected in round 1. Do you pack them up and ship them to the next city or do you keep a camera on them as they're sitting in the empty room in the previous night's city? If you do the later, I'm for it.

Also, I like the compression from 1 day down to 2. This past year, the talking heads even had issues trying to keep meaningful dialogue going while waiting for picks after a while.

One of the reasons I watch the draft is because I don't watch much college football. I think that ESPN could do a better job getting highlights lined up for the draft picks for all the rounds. Of course, that might extend the draft coverage and it might necessitate the need for extensive tape delay, especially when you get 5 picks in 10 minutes, and at some point might push viewship onto the internet to get the results quicker, but I still like the highlights and how they show you the strengths or weaknesses as the player played...we then see it on film and not simply in type...we get a sense of what the evaluater saw when they made their commentary and ranked the player.

I love the idea of a multi-city event. Particularly because there is a chance I would be able to go to a draft day right here in Tampa. And I don't think it would be a big deal at all for them to do. It's not like Reese and Coughlin would have to fly to two other cities in the three days... Send Marc Ross to the day 2 event, and send Kevin Abrams to the day 3 event... or... don't send anyone anywhere, and just submit your picks over the phone, could be VOIP on a secure line, or dial in with a special code to teleconference... or just submit to the NFL in whatever location you're in, most likely Radio City, still, and they send the communication to whoever walks up to the podium in Tampa... or Houston, or Pittsburgh, or wherever that day's event is at.