SportsWrath

JPP Having Back Surgery, Should Be Ready For September

Mr. P

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 6m

Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul is undergoing back surgery this morning in LA with Dr. Watkins. Belief is he should be ready for September.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 1m

JPP played with back injury last year and received multiple epidural injections to get through season. Doctors believe he should be better..

I had back surgery (laminectomy (L4)), and it took nearly a year of rehab to be semi-normal again. Hopefully, JPP has the best surgeons and the best rehab services to get him up to speed in a couple of months. I don't think it is a good omen for the Giants.

From NFL.com

Yet another big NFL star is undergoing back surgery, raising doubts about his readiness for the season.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday morning that New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul will undergo back surgery Tuesday. He is not expected to be ready for the start of training camp, but he hopes to be ready for Week 1.

The Giants later confirmed that Pierre-Paul underwent surgery, saying his recovery period is projected for 12 weeks. It's not hard to do the math; Pierre-Paul will have to hustle to be ready for the regular season.

In an interview that will air during Tuesday's edition of "NFL Total Access," Giants safety Antrel Rolle told NFL Network that a hampered Pierre-Paul still is better than most defenders.

"80 percent of JPP is better than 100 percent of a lot of guys in this league," Rolle said.

But just like with New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski, there's no such thing as "minor" back surgery. Pierre-Paul clearly wasn't planning on this surgery or he would have done it earlier in the offseason to recover faster for the season.

Pierre-Paul was listed on the injury report late last season with a back injury, but it never was reported as overly serious. NFL.com's Albert Breer reported that Pierre-Paul had injections last year to deal with his pain. The Giants said that Pierre-Paul was experiencing pain this offseason.

Pierre-Paul played all 16 games and was active in offseason work over the last few months, reportedly looking "slimmer" at organized team activities. With Osi Umenyiora gone, the Giants already had moved Mathias Kiwanuka back to defensive end. Kiwanuka looks like a starter now opposite Justin Tuck until Pierre-Paul gets healthy. Rookie Damontre Moore also might play more snaps initially than expected.

I think what we should do is start JPP immediately, let him play at 60% all season long, never recover, and let all of the other d-linemen we spend high draft picks on ride the bench.

That's what will happen. Undoubtedly. Or there will be a knock on Moore that he can't take on fullbacks at the point of attack and is therefore, useless (analogy to David Wilson getting no chance when hundreds of things were wrong with Ahmad Bradshaw

UPDATE: Pierre-Paul underwent a microscopic lumbar disectomy Tuesday at Marina Del Rey Hospital in Marina Del Rey, Calif., according to a statement released by Dr. Robert Watkins, who performed the surgery. The statement said Pierre-Paul is expected to make a full recovery, though his return to football will depend on how the defensive end responds to his rehabilitation regimen.

From Giants.com:

Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul underwent a successful procedure this morning to repair a herniated disc in his lower back. The microdiscetomy was performed by Dr. Robert Watkins at Marina Del Rey Hospital in Marina Del Rey, Calif.

Recovery and rehabilitation is anticipated to be approximately 12 weeks.

"Jason has been experiencing lower back pain that past couple months," said Ronnie Barnes, Giants Sr. Vice President of Medical Services. "He has managed the discomfort with treatment and core strengthening exercises. Last week, he was examined by Drs. Russell Warren and Frank Cammisa at the Hospital for Special Surgery. Both felt this procedure was the most prudent course of action. Dr. Watkins, after examining Jason yesterday, agreed. We expect a full and complete recovery."

“My back has been bothering me for a while, and even last season I played through some back issues,” said Pierre-Paul. “The treatment I’ve been doing has helped manage the issue, but this procedure is going to get me fully healthy and there should be no more pain. I’m going to do everything the doctors tell me to do during my rehab so I can be back playing the game I love at a high level as quickly as possible.”

What, do Giants players never go to Giants' facilities from the months of January-June? Seriously, how does this decision not get made like 4 months ago?

What, do Giants players never go to Giants' facilities from the months of January-June? Seriously, how does this decision not get made like 4 months ago?

Yea I agree. Gotta put some blame on the Giants training staff.

He was on the Injury report late last year with back issues that didn't appear at the time to be serious.

You'd think they'd have follow up talks with JPP around March latest.

"He has managed the discomfort with treatment and core strengthening exercises. Last week, he was examined by Drs. Russell Warren and Frank Cammisa at the Hospital for Special Surgery. Both felt this procedure was the most prudent course of action. Dr. Watkins, after examining Jason yesterday, agreed. We expect a full and complete recovery."

I think what we should do is start JPP immediately, let him play at 60% all season long, never recover, and let all of the other d-linemen we spend high draft picks on ride the bench.

Absolutely....."Tuckification".

I thought it was great that Ojomo looked like a young Osi in the preseason, and then completely disappeared....hopefully they'll do that again as our vets crumble in weeks 14-16.

Sounds like an excuse for a fuck-up. If his back hurt last year, as soon as the season is over those doctors should be all over him. There's no excuse or reasoning behind waiting until June to figure out what's wrong with him needs surgery.