SportsWrath

Eric Herman - OG

BleedinBlue

Okay....this guy set the high mark for bench reps with 36 (1 more than Jonathan Cooper)

He's 6'4, 320 lbs and has been a RT, but Giants want to slate in the guard spot.

From 2 different sources (all sites are saying he's one of the best guards in the draft for the run game)

"
Eric Herman will be one of those under-the-radar offensive guards that might sneak past most eyes, but as a MAC talent there is definitely a lot to watch out for. Herman proved to be a pancake machine in the MAC, putting defenders on their back with increasing regularity. Herman also was good at knockdowns and decleats and was the most productive players on the team".

"While the top guards will go in the top 50, there's going to be tremendous mid-round value if someone does their homework. A lot of the prospects have to be in the right scheme and the right fit; Ohio's Eric Herman can not work in a zone-blocking offense, but could kill people in a power run game"

Don't the Giants run a "zone blocking scheme?"

They use both IMO. I've seen the Giants run zone blocks...such as Snee dropping off his man and going all the way to the left side of the line to block an oncoming LB while the RB does a sweep around to the left. But I don't think it's that common with the Giants. It's used more when you don't have a line capable of pushing the opponents back and making a hole.

I think what they are saying about Herman is that he is not a fancy fleet of foot guy, but rather a wickedly strong bulldozer who will push you a hole in the middle of the line for a run straight up the middle. Great to have that kind of guy when it's "first and goal" inside the 5 yard line or a 3rd or 4th and one.

The Giants do run a zone blocking scheme, with some power blocking plays. Zone blocking is very important to this offense. And I'm not passing judgement on the pick. Don't know who wrote that write up, they could be underrating his usefulness in a zone blocking scheme, or they could be right. I don't know much about Herman, so it's hard to say. Hopefully he performs a lot better than Mosely and McCants.