SportsWrath

Official 2013 NFL Draft Thread Round 1

osi724dasack

I've been taking a long look at DE Margus Hunt. What a monster. Another German guy. Set all kinds of world records in Junior Olympics for shot put and discus throw. Competed at an Olympic level in the hammer throw. Took up football at SMU.

6'8" / 275 freaky strong, freaky fast for his size

From Wiki (via Dallas News):

"For nearly 10 years, Bruce Feldman, a writer for CBSSports.com, has annually compiled what he calls a "Freak List" of the 10 college football players he considers the most freakish athletes. In 2012, Hunt was on top of his list. According to Feldman, Hunt "sounds like a PlayStation football creation" — despite his 82-inch (2.1 m) wingspan, he is able to bench press 225 pounds (102 kg) 35 times, and has also cleaned 384 pounds (174 kg) and snatched 345 pounds (156 kg). Hunt also boasts a 36-inch (91 cm) vertical jump. Wollman predicted that Hunt would have 45 repetitions and a 4.6-second 40-yard dash at the 2013 NFL combine. Hunt did, in fact, run a 4.60-second 40-yard dash and did 38 bench press repetitions while posting a vertical leap of 34.5-inch (88 cm) at the 2013 combine".

Would love to pick this guy up tomorrow. Bookend him with JPP.

I've been taking a long look at DE Margus Hunt. What a monster. Another German guy. Set all kinds of world records in Junior Olympics for shot put and discus throw. Competed at an Olympic level in the hammer throw. Took up football at SMU.

6'8" / 275 freaky strong, freaky fast for his size

From Wiki (via Dallas News):

"For nearly 10 years, Bruce Feldman, a writer for CBSSports.com, has annually compiled what he calls a "Freak List" of the 10 college football players he considers the most freakish athletes. In 2012, Hunt was on top of his list. According to Feldman, Hunt "sounds like a PlayStation football creation" — despite his 82-inch (2.1 m) wingspan, he is able to bench press 225 pounds (102 kg) 35 times, and has also cleaned 384 pounds (174 kg) and snatched 345 pounds (156 kg). Hunt also boasts a 36-inch (91 cm) vertical jump. Wollman predicted that Hunt would have 45 repetitions and a 4.6-second 40-yard dash at the 2013 NFL combine. Hunt did, in fact, run a 4.60-second 40-yard dash and did 38 bench press repetitions while posting a vertical leap of 34.5-inch (88 cm) at the 2013 combine".

Would love to pick this guy up tomorrow. Bookend him with JPP.

Will he stab himself in the leg with a steak knife while moving in to his new house?

I would of never seen the Giants drafting him after signing Meyers(sp)

Yeah...I knew we wouldn't pull the trigger although He's going to be really good. After Cincy's team blows up again, we'll be able to pick him up for a 4th or 5th round pick down the road. Then he'll blossom into a star for us!

Ralph Vacchiano@RVacchianoNYDN3m

Short arms (32 inches) seem to be a concern about Pugh, but Reese says he "never saw his short arms come into play" on film. #NYG

Having arms that are an inch or two longer doesn't help if you don't have the foot movement to keep in front of the defense. It simply makes one start grabbing and getting called for holding. Whenever I see an OT get beat, it's rarely because a guy's arm length is an inch shorter than it could be. As far as I'm concerned, offensive lineman need to be SMART football players and know how to stay low and move laterally when necessary or push back for a run play. Arm length is more important for a DE who is reaching for a QB.

Having arms that are an inch or two longer doesn't help if you don't have the foot movement to keep in front of the defense. It simply makes one start grabbing and getting called for holding. Whenever I see an OT get beat, it's rarely because a guy's arm length is an inch shorter than it could be. As far as I'm concerned, offensive lineman need to be SMART football players and know how to stay low and move laterally when necessary or push back for a run play. Arm length is more important for a DE who is reaching for a QB.

DVR'd the draft because I was out tonight. Pugh is a good pick....Mayock likes him, and actually predicted the Giants were going to take him before the pick was announced. I like Mayock as a draft analyst, and he's also got a good feel for the G-Men.

Anyway, offensive line was a big issue last year, and this should help protect Eli and open some holes for Wilson.

But they really need to focus hard on defense next, unless some complete steal lands in their lap.

Khaseem Greene (LB/Rutgers) should be available when the Giants pick.....he's got the speed and range to be a perfect fit for Fewell's scheme......he was a converted safety, so he'd be an excellent LB in long yardage situations.

Pugh is a good pick but why him when ogletree was on the board?

Olgetree had a bit of hype inserted with him. I trust our FO... sure I didn't even know who Pugh is but hey... They must've seen things in him that others didn't.

perhaps the Giants should have traded back and taken Pugh in the second round....the way people are stockpiling O linemen though, he might have been long gone

The Cowboys pick was incredibly baffling..........the guy was projected 3rd or 4th round????