SportsWrath

Cruz WILL Be a Giant, Probably For Life!

Gman329

Only question at this point seems to be if he plays for the Tender and we have to go through this whole thing again next year (unless the Giants Franchise him, then it's 2015) or does he take the $7M+ for 4 or 5 years the Giants are offering? Considering the marketing opportunities in NYC with Jay-Z, $7M could be worth considerably more than $10M in Cincinnati or KC or Indy...or anyplace else, especially over the length of a career. At any rate, it's not a bad base salary! Plus, playing your whole career in NYC will probably allow him to make a lot more AFTER his playing days than if he was in a smaller market. Victor isn't dumb - and his wife is a smart cookie, too. They will be here.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22058074/report-victor-cruz-wants-to-stay-in-ny-for-opportunities-with-jay-z

Report: Victor Cruz wants to stay in NY for opportunities with Jay-Z

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer April 12, 2013 9:08 am ET

•  

Victor_Cruz_First_Round_Tender_Giants_Free_Agency_Rumors.jpg It's looking like Victor Cruz likely will return to New York. (USATSI)

The signs that Victor Cruz will return to the Giants on his first-round tender continue to add up, and the latest report has to do with potential marketing opportunities from Jay-Z.

That's the word from Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, who writes that Cruz “has told at least two people that he plans to stay with the Giants long-term … [because he] wants to take advantage of the business and marketing opportunities he envisions with Roc Nation, the marketing company Jay-Z … founded.”

Coming off the news that the receiver has been working out with quarterback Eli Manning and Giants receivers Hakeem Nicks and Louis Murphy at Duke University, it's beginning to be clear that Cruz isn't likely to move on from New York.

One of Cole's sources said there might have been a couple of teams interested in negotiating with Cruz to move away from the Giants -- those hypothetical teams also would have to give up a first-round pick to New York as compensation -- but there doesn't appear to be much movement on that front. Cruz recently left his former agent and signed with CAA, which is affiliated with Jay-Z.

Even if the Giants keep Cruz and don't negotiate a long-term deal with him, it soon could be an expensive proposition for New York. They would have to pay him $2.88 million this year -- which, of course, would be a bargain for 2013 -- but Cruz also reportedly wants $10 million per year on his next deal.

That's not cheap for a slot receiver -- even for one of the better slot receivers in the league.

Luckily for the Giants, they have somebody who's willing to contribute to the Keep Victor Cruz Around Fund.

“I check the papers every morning to make sure no one else has offered him a contract. It is nerve-racking, though,” Manning said recently. “He is anxious. I know he has been dealing with this contract issue for a long time. I know he wants it just settled and wants to get back to playing football and just worrying about that … If the Giants want to work something out, I am always up for listening and figuring out what I can do to help the cause.”

Jesus, we need some real Giant news soon. It's amazing how quickly this Board defaults to junior high school without it.

lol, yea I know. The good news is the Cruz saga should come to an end in less than a week and the draft is right after that... it's really atrocious not having Giants news and no... baseball or basketball doesn't fill the void.. at least for me.

is jay-z's agency really going to give him that many more marketing opportunities than his last agency would've? or is this about these players being in awe of this guy they likely looked up to growing up?

is jay-z's agency really going to give him that many more marketing opportunities than his last agency would've? or is this about these players being in awe of this guy they likely looked up to growing up?

It's a different scenery... And I think Jay-Z wants to get established in that line of business and it's a win win for both... at the end of the day (and maybe that's just me) it makes no difference if you make $7M or $10M a year... once you cross over that 7 figure line, you can grown your wealth if you have a decently functioning brain...

It's a different scenery... And I think Jay-Z wants to get established in that line of business and it's a win win for both... at the end of the day (and maybe that's just me) it makes no difference if you make $7M or $10M a year... once you cross over that 7 figure line, you can grown your wealth if you have a decently functioning brain...

Jay Z couldnt land anyone in Brooklyn.

This article changes nothing. Cruz playing one year on a RFA tender is risky. First, he could be injured. Second, he could have a down year. Third, the Giants could truly use him in the slot ALL season and let Nicks/Randle handle the 2 WR look. All three of those will only decrease his value next year. Rest assured, testing the Giants patience might not bode well either, especially if they pick up a WR in this year's draft, which I think they should do anyhow.

As for Jay Z, I think I read that Cruz hired Condon to handle football and Jay Z to handle endorsements. I'm fine with that so long as Cruz ends up a Giant. Beyond that though, I think the New York locale is a farce. If Jay Z wants Cruz in his agency, Cruz has enough power to make Jay Z come to him, even if that's in Kansas City or Minnesota or Arizona.

It's not that Jay Z wouldn't come to him, it's that there are tons more lucrative opportunities in NYC than anywhere else. Plus, he's from here and really seems to want to stay in the NYC area. That wouldn't be the single determining factor in keeping him here, agreed.... but if everything else is equal or close, it will work to the Giants advantage.

But lets not pretend that Cruz isn't a huge weapon and a major part of our offense or that we wouldn't miss him because we have Nicks and Randle. I don't think either side is comfortable with this game of chicken going on now.

It's not that Jay Z wouldn't come to him, it's that there are tons more lucrative opportunities in NYC than anywhere else. Plus, he's from here and really seems to want to stay in the NYC area. That wouldn't be the single determining factor in keeping him here, agreed.... but if everything else is equal or close, it will work to the Giants advantage.

But lets not pretend that Cruz isn't a huge weapon and a major part of our offense or that we wouldn't miss him because we have Nicks and Randle. I don't think either side is comfortable with this game of chicken going on now.

I don't think the Giants are playing game of chicken at all here... they made their offer and they think it's a fair offer... I happened to think so as well. It's all about Cruz now... clock has been ticking and he's now realizing he's not a #1 WR... and btw I highly doubt Nicks gets that much more than Cruz anyway... especially if the Giants lock him up now.

I don't think the Giants are playing game of chicken at all here... they made their offer and they think it's a fair offer... I happened to think so as well. It's all about Cruz now... clock has been ticking and he's now realizing he's not a #1 WR... and btw I highly doubt Nicks gets that much more than Cruz anyway... especially if the Giants lock him up now.

Maybe "playing chicken" is a little overstated but Cruz and/or his agent figure the Giants will come up a little more if he waits them out and doesn't attend off-season activites.....and he might be right. The Giants won't go near his orginal demand but they might sweeten their offer just a little, just so Cruz can feel like he didn't cave. That's something teams do - hold back their REAL final offer, just to save the player's pride a little. My guess is, that's what's going to happen here.

If the Giants wanted a full blown game of chicken, they could say their offer is final and on the table for the next week, or two weeks, or until camp starts only, then they revert to the Tender. Don't see them going this way, though.

Victor Cruz receives no offer sheet from other team

With less than four hours remaining before Friday's 11:59 p.m. ET restricted free agent deadline, Victor Cruz has not received an offer sheet from another team, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Friday night. A last-minute deal is not expected, a source told Rapoport.

The saga will drag on between the New York Giants and the wide receiver, who continues to lobby for a long-term contract. Cruz did not show up at voluntary offseason workouts this week and hasn't signed the $2.879 million tender.

This locks Cruz into the Giants for 2013 barring a holdout or trade.

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000161969/article/victor-cruz-receives-no-offer-sheet-from-other-team

I've seen it mentioned many times. Mara's quote about making him "a wealthy young man", with the speculation that he's been offered between $7M and $7.5M has been all over the place. For now, Cruz has nothing to lose by waiting and seeing if the Giants will come up just a little more. I think he knows that's the best he can do and this is just part of the choreography. Still think he's signing a 3 or 4 year deal.

I've seen it mentioned many times. Mara's quote about making him "a wealthy young man", with the speculation that he's been offered between $7M and $7.5M has been all over the place. For now, Cruz has nothing to lose by waiting and seeing if the Giants will come up just a little more. I think he knows that's the best he can do and this is just part of the choreography. Still think he's signing a 3 or 4 year deal.

I've seen it but recently it's like these writers are making it seem like the Giants are only offering the tender.

I've seen it but recently it's like these writers are making it seem like the Giants are only offering the tender.

From Gary Meyers in today's NY Daily News:

-- Now that the restricted free agent period is over and Victor Cruz didn’t get an offer sheet, he has three choices: Sign his $2.879 million tender, work out a long-term deal or hold out. For a former free agent who made less than $1 million in base salary over the last two years, it’s hard to find what’s wrong with the Giants’ multi-year offer that averages between $7 million-$8 million per year (I’ve been told it’s closer to $8 million) with about $15 million guaranteed. I think Cruz will have a new deal before training camp.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-jets-realizing-missing-top-10-pick-qb-hurts-franchise-article-1.1323074?pgno=1#ixzz2R9Q2qhjB