SportsWrath

Why I Think I can be an NFL GM (at least, for the Oakland Raiders)

mastershake

Here's some perspective:

Since 2004, the raiders have had six Top 10 draft choices, including the #1 overall.... Only two of them remain with the team today (McClain 2010 and McFadden 2009)...The former has frequently been in trouble and is about to be cut, the latter has been injury prone and has had one good year. Essentially, all of their six Top 10 draft choices have been busts.

The Raiders traded their 2011 #17 pick for Richard Seymour. He is no longer with the team

The Raiders traded their 2012 #17 pick and a 2013 2nd rounder for Carson Palmer - enough said

In 2010, Oakland traded away their #42 pick to the Patriots for picks #44 and a 6th rounder. The Patriots with #42 selected Rob Grankowski. Oakland, with #44 selected Lamar Houston. I know hindsight is 20/20, but this is still funny.

I figure I can be the Raiders GM... I can't possibly do any worse than this confused Oakland Raider organization.

Carson Palmer is a good QB. He's had nothing to work with. And that deal was done by the former head coach in an Alexander Haig moment.

Yet, given the Raiders history of finishing in the basement and locking up early picks, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which the talent simply isn't there out in Oakland. Personally, while Palmer is a decent QB, I've never seen him as a guy who can raise the level of play of those around him, either.

Yeah, I think Palmer is quite capable of succeeding in this league and don't view him as the problem in Oakland. That said, I do think his deal was a little high.

The thing about the Raiders that's mindboggling this offseason is that something like only 2 or 3 guys from their defense a year ago are returning. Absolutely no consistency with that team and next to nothing to build around...yet they're up against the cap. It's a laughable performance at best.

Palmer is one of the best QB i saw coming out of USC. It's just bad karma or he could of just sold his soul to the devil that screw up his career. After that knee injury in the playoff against the steelers.. he was never the same... the stars just started slowly dimming with his name.

as for the Raiders, they are nuts and unstable, No one is safe. no loyalty. that team's like a chick during period, changing coaches like changing pads... it's a bloody mess.

Palmer is one of the best QB i saw coming out of USC. It's just bad karma or he could of just sold his soul to the devil that screw up his career. After that knee injury in the playoff against the steelers.. he was never the same... the stars just started slowly dimming with his name.

as for the Raiders, they are nuts, an unstable. that team's like a chick during period, changing coaches like changing pads... it's a bloody mess.

Exactly, I figure I can't do any worse.

Here's my resume for the position:

Two masters degrees. 7 years working in statistics and predictive analytics in a business setting.

Relevant Experience:

Madden 2003-2013: Franchise Mode

Fantasy Football 2003-present

Yeah, I think Palmer is quite capable of succeeding in this league and don't view him as the problem in Oakland. That said, I do think his deal was a little high.

The thing about the Raiders that's mindboggling this offseason is that something like only 2 or 3 guys from their defense a year ago are returning. Absolutely no consistency with that team and next to nothing to build around...yet they're up against the cap. It's a laughable performance at best.

Can't argue with that.

Exactly, I figure I can't do any worse.

Here's my resume for the position:

Two masters degrees. 7 years working in statistics and predictive analytics in a business setting.

Relevant Experience:

Madden 2003-2013: Franchise Mode

Fantasy Football 2003-present

Tremendous resume, Shakes :TU:

For every poster that wants Coughlin and the OC and DC fired every year just needs to look at losing teams. The only consistency they have is a lack of patience and Oakland is the worst offender. You have to stick with your coaching staff through thick and thin because consistency at coaching, GM also, is what wins championships.

I'll admit, I saw Jamarcus Russell in that '07 Sugar Bowl and I thought he was the real deal. Prototypical size and he had (has) an unbelievable cannon for an arm. But there is no way for us to know what is on the inside of some of these kids. And Russell had no heart, and not much of a brain to screw up his career that badly. I have no idea why draft busts are synonymous with Ryan Leaf, when Russell was an even bigger disaster, IMO. Russell was taken as the top pick overall, Leaf went at #2 after Peyton Manning.

LW is right though... I believe a lot of players careers have been derailed because of inconsistency of coaching staffs. We are lucky to have Coughlin, as much as he drives me crazy sometimes because I don't believe he's much of an innovator or creative in developing offensive or defensive concepts. But he is a great leader and motivator, and most of all is a tremendous teacher that shows these players what it takes to be a winner. And he won't just accept less than 100% effort.

The discipline of our organization all around, discipline with coaching, the GM, in drafting, that's why this team hasn't been bottom feeders in such a long time. We may not be a perennial 12-4 team, but it's been a long time since we've had a losing season.