SportsWrath

Steven Jackson Wants To Play For a Contender....hmmmm.....

Gman329

I suppose it's not possible with the cap but damn, Steven Jackson would be the perfect guy to put in our backfield! He and David Wilson would compliment each other perfectly and Wilson could learn a lot from this future hall of famer. A running tandem like this would make Eli and the passing game lethal.

Steven Jackson’s departure makes sense for him and the Rams

NFL FREE AGENCY, ST. LOUIS RAMS | COMMENTS

textsize.gif

textsize_minus_l.gif

textsize_plus_d.gif

ap835442794387.jpg?w=612&h=368

Steven Jackson was the Rams’ first-round pick at the 2004 draft. (G. Newman Lowrance/AP)

Steven Jackson will void the final year of his contract with the Rams, the St. Louis Post-Dispatchreported, which comes as a surprise only because of last week’s rumblings that Jackson wanted to stick around. The fact of the matter is that an amicable split is the right move for Jackson … and for the Rams.

Jackson has played his entire nine-year career with St. Louis, topping 1,000 yards rushing in each of the past eight seasons. He did so again in 2012 (1,042 yards), despite the Rams picking and choosing their spots for him — his four touchdowns tied a career-low number.

The 29-year-old Jackson said back in January that he would consider retirement this offseason, but he clearly has something left in the tank. Enough, actually, that he will be the top free agent running back available come March.

Instead of staying in an increasingly clustered St. Louis backfield, Jackson now has the opportunity to land one last big-money deal, while also jumping to a Super Bowl contender.

And for the Rams, while losing Jackson weakens their backfield for now (and likely leaves their fans a bit disappointed), Plan B is already in place. St. Louis drafted a pair of running backs in 2012 — Isaiah Pead in Round 2; Daryl Richardson in Round 7.

Richardson quickly became a surprise contributor for the Rams during his rookie season, putting up a combined 638 yards rushing and receiving. He stands to see even more action next season, possibly as St. Louis’ No. 1 back.

But it’s Pead who might be in line for a meteoric rise. During Peter King’s NFL combine tweetup, ESPN’s Adam Schefter pegged Pead as his pick for 2013′s breakout player, assuming Jackson departed in free agency. Pead missed OTAs, then played just 42 snaps last year, though he averaged 5.4 yards per carry and 5.3 yards per catch in that very limited duty (10 rushes and three receptions, respectively).

The Rams also will clear Jackson’s $7 million contract from the 2013 books. That’s money that could come in handy as St. Louis assesses the rest of its in-house free agents, most notably wide receiver Danny Amendola. Bradley Fisher, Barry Richardson, Brandon Gibson and William Hayes are a few of the other key names on St. Louis’ pending free agent list.

As for Jackson’s future, the Falcons quickly have arisen as the leader in the clubhouse for his services. With Michael Turner facing a likely release, Atlanta could soon find itself in need of a reliable, versatile back, and Jackson certainly fits the bill there.

Other contenders who could use a boost at RB include Pittsburgh and Green Bay, to name a couple.

Regardless, Jackson should find a new home that fits both his running style and desire to return to the playoffs (his last trip was in 2004). And while the Rams will be disappointed to see him go, they’re in fine shape to move on in the post-Steven Jackson era.

I don't see Wilson as a 20 carry guy. I think he'd be most effective with an even split of carries. History says counting on Brown to play a full season at the same level we saw in limited action last year is a stretch.

Well, HOF talent, buried on bad teams. 8 straight 1,000 yard seasons when he's usually been the only option opposing defenses had to worry about. Put him on a contender and I think you see a beast, finally free to run for the big prize!

I'd rather not hamstring Wilson and I'm excited to see if Brown comes back this year like he was playing last year. I wouldn't even look Jackson's way if I were the Giants.

I disagree with you here... the style of Jackson alone is what Jacobs was supposed to be ... but wasn't. I think he being our 2nd stringer would add much needed power and will keep Wilson fresh. Where I don't think it may not happen is how much $$$$.

I disagree with you here... the style of Jackson alone is what Jacobs was supposed to be ... but wasn't. I think he being our 2nd stringer would add much needed power and will keep Wilson fresh. Where I don't think it may not happen is how much $$$$.

Don't think it's the money as much as it is the clear starter role that Jackson is trying to demand. No way Jackson would even agree to come here if David Wilson is the starter, which Wilson should be. I don't fault Jackson for taking that perspective.

Secondly, Brown will play the backup role to Wilson. Brown played pretty damn well last year until he broke his leg. Keep in mind, it wasn't a ligament or muscle that was damaged...so his return to health could easily mean a return to the same level of play.

I'd rather spend a late round draft pick and let a guy try to prove himself or take a vet min RB from the FA ranks to bring in as the 3rd RB and roll with that lineup.

Don't think it's the money as much as it is the clear starter role that Jackson is trying to demand. No way Jackson would even agree to come here if David Wilson is the starter, which Wilson should be. I don't fault Jackson for taking that perspective.

Secondly, Brown will play the backup role to Wilson. Brown played pretty damn well last year until he broke his leg. Keep in mind, it wasn't a ligament or muscle that was damaged...so his return to health could easily mean a return to the same level of play.

I'd rather spend a late round draft pick and let a guy try to prove himself or take a vet min RB from the FA ranks to bring in as the 3rd RB and roll with that lineup.

Agreed. And I like Jackson so if he wants to come to a contender... this is it. I wouldn't put so much emphasis on the title of starter vs back up.. who gives a shit.

He's been a solid player for the Rams since they drafted him and has been the offense for years. Only problem is of course he's at that corner in his career that rb's don't get better at and he has been punished for being the only source of offense on that team for years.

Put him on your Madden team, only way he is going to be a Giant.

A somewhat pricey free agent running back who has as little tread on him left as Steven Jackson does isn't the kind of move that championship front offices make. We've seen what Wilson can do, and Bradshaw's release was not just about cost cutting, it was also about knowing that it's the next guy's turn. And Brown is there in place as the compliment. I expect the Giants will draft another RB in the 3rd round or later to fill out the RB position. But it's not going to be a headline grabbing free agent at RB. It makes little sense, especially with our cap situation, which isn't great, despite the restructures and releases.

The cap part, I agree with and that pretty much ends the speculation, so this is more philosophical in nature. I think you'll see plenty of tread left on Jackson's tires if he ends up on a contender next year. Also don't see Wilson as consistent 20 carry guy.....and if you look around, there are fewer of them all the time. Unless you have an AP, I think teams are finding that they get more out of a back when they keep them around 15 carries. Keeps them fresher and healthier for more games and more years. That leaves, depending on the type of game, a minimum of 10 carries and maybe as many as 18+. In a perfect world, I'd love to see Wilson get 12-17 carries a game and have Steven Jackson get 10-15, depending on who's hot. I only hope Brown can stay healthy and productive in that 10-15 carry role.

The cap part, I agree with and that pretty much ends the speculation, so this is more philosophical in nature. I think you'll see plenty of tread left on Jackson's tires if he ends up on a contender next year. Also don't see Wilson as consistent 20 carry guy.....and if you look around, there are fewer of them all the time. Unless you have an AP, I think teams are finding that they get more out of a back when they keep them around 15 carries. Keeps them fresher and healthier for more games and more years. That leaves, depending on the type of game, a minimum of 10 carries and maybe as many as 18+. In a perfect world, I'd love to see Wilson get 12-17 carries a game and have Steven Jackson get 10-15, depending on who's hot. I only hope Brown can stay healthy and productive in that 10-15 carry role.

Well, on Wilson, I suppose I would agree, bc at 15 carries he'll already have had 4 long TD runs, we wouldn't need him to have 20 carries in a game. :flex: I think you're only saying that about Wilson because he hasn't done it yet, though. He's a physical runner and I don't see any reason why he can't be a 20 carry a game guy. It might be smart from a longevity perspective to keep him in that 15-18 range, but I think he's much more than a 3rd down type of RB... he can play every down and I wouldn't be surprised to see him run it 20 times a game. Chris Johnson has been that kind of guy and Wilson is a tougher runner while having the same kind of home run ability.

Well, on Wilson, I suppose I would agree, bc at 15 carries he'll already have had 4 long TD runs, we wouldn't need him to have 20 carries in a game. :flex: I think you're only saying that about Wilson because he hasn't done it yet, though. He's a physical runner and I don't see any reason why he can't be a 20 carry a game guy. It might be smart from a longevity perspective to keep him in that 15-18 range, but I think he's much more than a 3rd down type of RB... he can play every down and I wouldn't be surprised to see him run it 20 times a game. Chris Johnson has been that kind of guy and Wilson is a tougher runner while having the same kind of home run ability.

From your lips....! And I'm with you that he's more than a 3rd down guy. 15-17 carries is more than a 3rd down role. My skepticism and concerns about him being a 20 carry guy are not based on "he hasn't done it" but by his size and NFL history and trends. He's 5' 10", 205. I haven't seen a tougher runner, with more heart than Bradshaw in a long time. He's the same height and 10 lbs heavier than Wilson and at 27, he's old.....and doesn't have the HR ability that he did just a few years ago.

From your lips....! And I'm with you that he's more than a 3rd down guy. 15-17 carries is more than a 3rd down role. My skepticism and concerns about him being a 20 carry guy are not based on "he hasn't done it" but by his size and NFL history and trends. He's 5' 10", 205. I haven't seen a tougher runner, with more heart than Bradshaw in a long time. He's the same height and 10 lbs heavier than Wilson and at 27, he's old.....and doesn't have the HR ability that he did just a few years ago.

You are right about that. And I'm hoping that we get a little luckier with Wilson. One, he needs to manage the hits and punishment he takes to a certain level. Tiki was great at that, and figured that part of the game out. Secondly, I'm hoping we have a little more luck injury-wise than we did with Bradshaw. Those feet were just a yearly problem. Bradshaw ran so hard, but part of his style was to his detriment, even though most of us Giants fans will always appreciate the absolute want-to that guy displayed in his refusal to go down. Wilson doesn't have to run with that kind of physicality. He has the agility, quickness, and straight line speed where he should be able to avoid some of the big hits, at least I'm hoping, and the other part is knowing when to go down and fight another day. I don't think you make him a complimentary running back, though. He has star written all over him. I think you have to give him the ball and make Andre Brown the complimentary RB, similar to Jacobs in his last couple of years with Bradshaw.

You are right about that. And I'm hoping that we get a little luckier with Wilson. One, he needs to manage the hits and punishment he takes to a certain level. Tiki was great at that, and figured that part of the game out. Secondly, I'm hoping we have a little more luck injury-wise than we did with Bradshaw. Those feet were just a yearly problem. Bradshaw ran so hard, but part of his style was to his detriment, even though most of us Giants fans will always appreciate the absolute want-to that guy displayed in his refusal to go down. Wilson doesn't have to run with that kind of physicality. He has the agility, quickness, and straight line speed where he should be able to avoid some of the big hits, at least I'm hoping, and the other part is knowing when to go down and fight another day. I don't think you make him a complimentary running back, though. He has star written all over him. I think you have to give him the ball and make Andre Brown the complimentary RB, similar to Jacobs in his last couple of years with Bradshaw.

This...back in the day the football heads in my house would laugh and joke about the styles of Franco Harris (run out of bounds before the second or third hit...probably a stretcher type hit) and Tony Dorsett (lay that ball on the ground if it looks like a decapitation coming your way).... :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: As an NFL running back in the modern era discretion is the better part of valor. One only need to look up Earl Campbell who could barely walk in his last few years of life. Yep know when to fold em...know when to hold em...know when to walk away ...know when to run... ;)

This...back in the day the football heads in my house would laugh and joke about the styles of Franco Harris (run out of bounds before the second or third hit...probably a stretcher type hit) and Tony Dorsett (lay that ball on the ground if it looks like a decapitation coming your way).... :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: As an NFL running back in the modern era discretion is the better part of valor. One only need to look up Earl Campbell who could barely walk in his last few years of life. Yep know when to fold em...know when to hold em...know when to walk away ...know when to run... ;)

Did Tiki Barber write that?