SportsWrath

My opinion on

GorillaNJ

I know opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink. I did not like the pick at first but the more I think about it, I am starting to think is a pretty smart pick.

Strahan is getting a little long in the tooth, and he is coming off of a productive season. I think if he is able to sit out a couple of series without feeling like he is leaving the team short of the field he can still be fresh for February. It may even help him spend another season on the team.

At the same time Kiwi gets to learn from the best. This way when he takes over full time he we can call our DLine the KiwiOsi Connection :TU:

My gut reaction has been, Damn I wish we would have drafted a big DT instead :furious:

Yeah, I agreed with trading down, especially when we got a 3rd and 4th for it. And I liked moving up in the second to get Moss.

But I think we still should be looking for a DT to put in the rotation, despite drafting one in the later rounds.

I think this is a good pick, and I like where EA went with this draft...I really dont know much about the guys past round 4, but rounds 1 through 3 I thought were pretty good. Moss is going to be a stud and in a year or two I think will be Eli's #1 target.

That pick makes zero sense in my opinion. If the idea was for Giants to pick the best available athlete, then Lendale White should be a Giant right now. It would make as much sense as this. I'm baffled by this move. He could turn into a real good player, but unless they think about turning him into a DT, it makes no sense.

Sinorice Moss was a nice pickup though and may continue our streak of picking up great 2nd rounders.

That pick makes zero sense in my opinion. If the idea was for Giants to pick the best available athlete, then Lendale White should be a Giant right now . It would make as much sense as this. I'm baffled by this move. He could turn into a real good player, but unless they think about turning him into a DT, it makes no sense.

Sinorice Moss was a nice pickup though and may continue our streak of picking up great 2nd rounders.

I agree that LenDale shouda been picked BUT EA is trying to save money IMO. Trading down to get the last pick in the 1st rd was a cost cutter. Mathias shouldn't demand a huge contract. But at #25 LenDale White would have commanded a lil more money and possibly would have held out. And I think EA got all these late round picks again to save money.

And I also agree with the 'nce pickup' quote of Moss.

That pick makes zero sense in my opinion. If the idea was for Giants to pick the best available athlete, then Lendale White should be a Giant right now. It would make as much sense as this. I'm baffled by this move. He could turn into a real good player, but unless they think about turning him into a DT, it makes no sense.

My initial thought was that they were thinking about making him a DT, but then they drafted a DT which pretty much killed that thought. I didn't, and don't, necessarily understand the move either.

Without the trade, we would have had the DE (who was considered the 2nd-best DE in the draft according to ProFootball Weekly, btw), a low-ranked 2 rounder (probably not Moss), 1 3rd, 1 4th, a 5th and 7th.

We traded down, got Mathias, Moss, Wilkenson, a DT and OT, a safety, and a cornerback.

We are going to be losing a HOF defensive end in the next few years. We are almost assured that there will be a drop-off in production from that position. Having two very good DE prospects compete a year or two before it actually happens will prepare the eventual successor, and make sure the drop-off isn't too steep. I keep making the same point, but I'm glad that they have the foresight to recognize this.

Based on Coughlin's post-draft interview, he seems to be very stoked about the progress both Duckett and Seawright are making, and isn't as nervous about the DT position as we seem to be. But we did draft a DT as well, and the first two UDFAs we signed were DTs.

Considering that he also mentioned Emmons going to weakside(?) this year with LA on the strongside, I'm not even going to hazard a guess on what they are doing. But I don't think they are using the same rules most of us fans are.

Thinking about it, Kiwanuka makes sense. I don’t know the player, but reading about his strengths and weaknesses, I think it’s what the doctor ordered to start replacing an aging Strahan. He sounds like a good sack man which we’ve been lacking lately. Yeah, I know the pros are different from college, but he will learn to counter the moves against him. After all, he’s the grandson of a former Ugandan premiere.

Thinking about it, Kiwanuka makes sense. I don’t know the player, but reading about his strengths and weaknesses, I think it’s what the doctor ordered to start replacing an aging Strahan. He sounds like a good sack man which we’ve been lacking lately. Yeah, I know the pros are different from college, but he will learn to counter the moves against him. After all, he’s the grandson of a former Ugandan premiere.

Y'know, I can't quite tell, but I'm hoping you're being sarcastic.

Guys, we went into the draft with holes at DT. We simply have to fill that hole. This theory about replacing Strahan in a few years is nonsense. Frankly, it looks like Tiki will retire before Strahan, so why not get his replacement now?

In fact if the Giants had drafted Moss in the first round, it would have made more sense than this. We reach in the first round and address a need in the 2nd?

The giants drafted Cofield in the 3rd, whilst all signs point to him being a solid player at college level, it's been said he will not make any plays for us. What the fuck does this mean, he's just going to stand there?

This was a disappointing draft compared to the last 2-3. Even Webster's pick in the 2nd last year was better than this IMO.

Maybe there is a master plan. I really liked watching Justin Tuck last year as rookie. He shout a lot of gut and quickness and might be a really good player in the league. I was reading somewhere, maybe it was on MVN where maybe Coughlin and Lewis are going to move Tuck to DT. We all know Strahan does not have many more years left but we already had his replacement, which atleast i thought. Here is something else, hasn't Kiwanuka played LB too?

Guys, we went into the draft with holes at DT. We simply have to fill that hole. This theory about replacing Strahan in a few years is nonsense. Frankly, it looks like Tiki will retire before Strahan, so why not get his replacement now?

In fact if the Giants had drafted Moss in the first round, it would have made more sense than this. We reach in the first round and address a need in the 2nd?

The giants drafted Cofield in the 3rd, whilst all signs point to him being a solid player at college level, it's been said he will not make any plays for us. What the fuck does this mean, he's just going to stand there?

This was a disappointing draft compared to the last 2-3. Even Webster's pick in the 2nd last year was better than this IMO.

Who would you have drafted instead of Kiwi that would help our DT situation?

You see, that's the problem. Everyone liked the move of trading down in the first. And everyone wanted a DT in the first. However, even at 25, there wasn't any DTs available for that high of a pick. We would have had to trade up in front of the Eagles to grab Bunkley (which may very well have made me cream my pants) if we were to get a first round DT talent.

So if we weren't going DT, what position should we have gone in in the first round? When Deangelo Williams (RB out of Memphis who is one of I think four RBs ever to rush for more than 6,000 yards in his college career) was still on the board, he would have had to have been my pick. Yeah, we have Brandon Jacobs and he has tons of potential. Yeah, we have Ward who has done well in spots. And of course we have Tiki, albeit for just a few more years. But Williams seems to me to be one of those guys who is just going to be flat out good, real good.

If we hadn't traded down, we could have had McCargo.

If we stay at 32, I would take Sinorice with 32 and then stay where we were in the 2nd round and take Claude Wroten. I know the Rams took him in the 3rd, but this kid has a big upside to his game and he will be a starter in the league. Later rounds we go for backups at offensive line, linebacker and secondary.

Without the trade, we would have had the DE (who was considered the 2nd-best DE in the draft according to ProFootball Weekly, btw), a low-ranked 2 rounder (probably not Moss), 1 3rd, 1 4th, a 5th and 7th.

We traded down, got Mathias, Moss, Wilkenson, a DT and OT, a safety, and a cornerback.

We are going to be losing a HOF defensive end in the next few years. We are almost assured that there will be a drop-off in production from that position. Having two very good DE prospects compete a year or two before it actually happens will prepare the eventual successor, and make sure the drop-off isn't too steep. I keep making the same point, but I'm glad that they have the foresight to recognize this.

Based on Coughlin's post-draft interview, he seems to be very stoked about the progress both Duckett and Seawright are making, and isn't as nervous about the DT position as we seem to be. But we did draft a DT as well, and the first two UDFAs we signed were DTs.

Considering that he also mentioned Emmons going to weakside(?) this year with LA on the strongside, I'm not even going to hazard a guess on what they are doing. But I don't think they are using the same rules most of us fans are.

great post !!! we have to realize we are just fans not professional coaches, scouts or players.

Just Fans !! most of the time we are in the dark!

:ph34r:

You see, that's the problem. Everyone liked the move of trading down in the first. And everyone wanted a DT in the first. However, even at 25, there wasn't any DTs available for that high of a pick. We would have had to trade up in front of the Eagles to grab Bunkley (which may very well have made me cream my pants) if we were to get a first round DT talent.

So if we weren't going DT, what position should we have gone in in the first round? When Deangelo Williams (RB out of Memphis who is one of I think four RBs ever to rush for more than 6,000 yards in his college career) was still on the board, he would have had to have been my pick. Yeah, we have Brandon Jacobs and he has tons of potential. Yeah, we have Ward who has done well in spots. And of course we have Tiki, albeit for just a few more years. But Williams seems to me to be one of those guys who is just going to be flat out good, real good.

You're thinking along the same lines as myself. Dangelo Williams is going to have a big career, he's going to surprise a lot of people, the kid is good.

You're thinking along the same lines as myself. Dangelo Williams is going to have a big career, he's going to surprise a lot of people, the kid is good.

Great minds...While I agree that he's going to be good, I can't say that it'll be a surprise with the production he put up behind a shoddy O-line in college. Granted, I don't know much about the defenses Memphis went up against, but you still have to be pretty damn good to rack up that many yards.

How the hell can Kiwanuka in the 1st be considered a reach? He's a blue chip Defensive End. If anything he represented incredible value at 32. Now I know we weren't addressing need by taking him but he damn sure isn't a reach.

I think trading up for Moss in the 2nd is much more of a reach.

I think that bringing in multiple talents (Tuck, Kiwi) as thorough preparation for life post-Strahan is a wise strategy. You don't want to hand a guy the vacated spot of a Hall of Famer ... ideally, you want at least talented and experienced players competing for the spot.

While I agree with the logic behind that, I'm not sure that investing a 3rd and later a 1st round pick in that strategy isn't a bit exorbitant.

He did mention selecting Moss with the 32nd pick and taking a DT in the 2nd round. I would have been happier with that stategy as well, but it is what is.

I think that bringing in multiple talents (Tuck, Kiwi) as thorough preparation for life post-Strahan is a wise strategy. You don't want to hand a guy the vacated spot of a Hall of Famer ... ideally, you want at least talented and experienced players competing for the spot.

While I agree with the logic behind that, I'm not sure that investing a 3rd and later a 1st round pick in that strategy isn't a bit exorbitant.

The post barber era could well come before post Strahan. In fact Tiki has hinted this. So why not pick a running back?. Toomer could be on his way out, why not pick a wideout with the first. I'm sorry,I don't like this move at all.

There was too much maneuvering done to make picks like this. A guy like Mc Cargo could have been picked up with the 25th pick. If you trade down to 32 you were well justified to take Moss and then your later second round pick could be used on someone like Claude Wroten, who is rated higher than Cofield. A third rounder could you have been used on backup help for the offensive line.

A few things:

-Kiwi was the highest rated play on the Giants board, thats why they picked him. No need, but a solid football player.

-The Giants had 7 picks and didn't draft one RB. You think they really would have if Williams was still there?

-Getting Kiwi means Tuck might be out of here in 4 years. It makes me sad, because I think Tuck is great talent.

-Tuck WILL NOT become a DT. He's too small and would get pushed around too much inside against bigger, stronger, OGs and Cs. He played well there in passing situations, but could never be a reliable DT in the NFL.

The post barber era could well come before post Strahan. In fact Tiki has hinted this. So why not pick a running back?. Toomer could be on his way out, why not pick a wideout with the first. I'm sorry,I don't like this move at all.

There was too much maneuvering done to make picks like this. A guy like Mc Cargo could have been picked up with the 25th pick. If you trade down to 32 you were well justified to take Moss and then your later second round pick could be used on someone like Claude Wroten, who is rated higher than Cofield. A third rounder could you have been used on backup help for the offensive line.

First, you draft players not positions. Although I disagreed with the decision, we drafted Mathias Kiwanuka, not a "DE."

The Giants apparently are very confident in Ward and Jacobs. Talented RBs are a dime a dozen, and right now I doubt the Giants could sneak a rookie RB outside of Reggie Bush onto the roster.

I think McCargo would have been questionable value at 56. Bad value at 25.

I doubt Claude Wroten was on our board since the team seems to be targeting high character guys. This talent acquisition strategy is reinforced by the decision to pass on Winston Justice, Jimmy Williams, and Gabe Watson. So, from the Giants standpoint, Cofield was higher rated than Wroten.

Out of curiousity, who are some OL that were drafted after pick 87 that you feel would have been better picks than Whimper?

I did not like taking Kiwi at 32, even though I think he is a fine prospect. I understand why people are dissatisfied with this selection, but I can't really take issue with the rest of the draft ... all things considered.

First, you draft players not positions. Although I disagreed with the decision, we drafted Mathias Kiwanuka, not a "DE."

The Giants apparently are very confident in Ward and Jacobs. Talented RBs are a dime a dozen, and right now I doubt the Giants could sneak a rookie RB outside of Reggie Bush onto the roster.

I think McCargo would have been questionable value at 56. Bad value at 25.

I doubt Claude Wroten was on our board since the team seems to be targeting high character guys. This talent acquisition strategy is reinforced by the decision to pass on Winston Justice, Jimmy Williams, and Gabe Watson. So, from the Giants standpoint, Cofield was higher rated than Wroten.

Out of curiousity, who are some OL that were drafted after pick 87 that you feel would have been better picks than Whimper?

I did not like taking Kiwi at 32, even though I think he is a fine prospect. I understand why people are dissatisfied with this selection, but I can't really take issue with the rest of the draft ... all things considered.

Don't agree on the running back situation. Dangelo Williams and lendale white are talented rb's, you can easily sneak them in. I'm like you, I like Derrick Ward, but he's not so talented he couldn't be replaced by either one of them.

At 25 or 56, McCargo would have been a better pick than barry cofield.

You're drafting players not positions comment holds some water. In that case why is Matt Leinart sliding to 10?. Hell based on his college career, he's top 3 or 4.

You're comment about Whimper?. After pick 87?. I'm not sure what you are talking about, and I didn't say I had a problem with Whimper. I was just noting that before the draft that I hoped we'd address the offensive line backup in the 3rd.

And the character guys issue?. I can understand that maybe you went in with the idea to get character guys, but if you're the same guys that just forked over millions to rumored malcontents such as Lavar and Plaxico. If you're using that theory to rate Cofield over Wroten, well then that's being a little bit hypocritical and maybe denies us a talented player who might just behave himself when he's in the league, who knows?. Hell, this is the org that gave Christian Peter a chance and turned it's head when LT played.

Don't agree on the running back situation. Dangelo Williams and lendale white are talented rb's, you can easily sneak them in. I'm like you, I like Derrick Ward, but he's not so talented he couldn't be replaced by either one of them.

At 25 or 56, McCargo would have been a better pick than barry cofield.

You're drafting players not positions comment holds some water. In that case why is Matt Leinart sliding to 10?. Hell based on his college career, he's top 3 or 4.

You're comment about Whimper?. After pick 87?. I'm not sure what you are talking about, and I didn't say I had a problem with Whimper. I was just noting that before the draft that I hoped we'd address the offensive line backup in the 3rd.

And the character guys issue?. I can understand that maybe you went in with the idea to get character guys, but if you're the same guys that just forked over millions to rumored malcontents such as Lavar and Plaxico. If you're using that theory to rate Cofield over Wroten, well then that's being a little bit hypocritical and maybe denies us a talented player who might just behave himself when he's in the league, who knows?. Hell, this is the org that gave Christian Peter a chance and turned it's head when LT played.

I'm not sold that McCargo is necessarily better than Cofield. I tend to wary of "late risers" in the draft process, because such players tend to be workout warriors ... NFL teams aren't suddenly discovering something on film they didn't notice 2-3 months earlier. The question is, is Cofield at 124 better than McCargo at 25 .... is John McCargo 100 spots better than Barry Cofield. I don't think so, and I had them rated pretty closely. When you consider that the Giants were looking for a NT, Cofield is better suited for that role than McCargo.

As a player, Leinart should have gone much higher. I think his slide represents a mistake that a lot of teams make.

Re: offensive line, you mentioned that you wanted the Giants to address OL in the 3rd round (which is misguided wish, IMO, as we have no idea who will be available), and the Giants drafted an OT in the 4th. So I don't understand your dissatisfaction; I would understand if there was a certain player you were targeting in the 3rd round.

Since Coughlin got here, the team has made conscious efforts to get guys with good characters. LaVar, by all accounts, was a good teammate and his only problem was with Snyder. Plaxico has complained in the past about not getting the ball enough, and he tends to overly frustrated when he's having a bad game. The bottom line is, both of these guys work hard and neither of them will be arrested (Wroten), suspended (J. Williams, Justice), or publicly bash their teammates any time soon. It's important to understand that the Giants meet with all these prospects (and free agents, as well) personally and then make a determination on them. That's why David Tyree got a second chance, for example.