SportsWrath

Vendetta's Giants Mock Draft I

mastershake

My focus in the first two rounds for the gmen is in the trenches... this is where the game is won and lost. We have some obvious issues on the OL, and Zeitler will strengthen that area. Winn is a solid lineman who can be used at a number of positions on the D line.

Robinson fills, what I think is, an important rover spot in the secondary vacated by Deon Grant. He also has man cover skills, so he can fill in should Rolle get hurt (or to free up Rolle to blitz or defend the run)

Smith is a college DE who projects to OLB in the NFL. Kiwi is in the last year of his contract. Jerry Reese loves his pass rushers, but this guy can also play the run.

Hemingway is a big receiver who ran surprisingly well at the combine for his size, a bit under the radar since he played in a run heavy offense without a true QB.

Ganaway is a guy I believe is also under the radar... a true bruiser. Perfect late round pick to fill power back position.

Nate Potter, versatile backup OL

Maze, a guy who can be both a KR and PR (his receiving skills are also fairly good, his limitation in the passing game is his height).

Also, my draft assumes we get Goff back starting at MLB.

1 - Kevin Zeitler 6'4 314, OG Wisconsin

2 - Billy Winn, DE/DT 6'4 294, Boise St. (Osi has one year left, at best, Tolly is gone)

3 - Trent Robinson 5'10 195, S, Michigan St

4 - Jacquies Smith, 6'3 253 OLB/DE, Missouri

4 - (compensatory) - Junior Hemingway, 6'1 225, WR Michigan

5 - Terrance Ganaway, 6'0 239, RB Baylor

6 - Nate Potter, OT 6'6 303, Boise St.

7 - Marquis Maze, WR (more of a PR/KR) 5'8 186, Alabama

I usually like G in the first, but I don't think it's gonna happen this year. Between Snee (who ain't going anywhere), Baas (who can play G or C), Petrus (who is going to be very serviceable in this league) and Diehl, it's just not a position that's a need going into the draft. We can pick up someone in the 3rd or 4th if we need to at that spot for depth.

The way I see it Seph, the giants interior line is aging, and overall is below average. The team can't run the ball, and was generally getting their assess pushed back on running and passing downs. Diehl is very average at guard, and is also getting up there in age. Baas was a huge disappointment. Even Snee had issues last year. Boothe is a career backup and spot starter (and I think is currently a free agent).

I think Petrus is also serviceable and may even develop into a starter down the road, but looking ahead, we have two more interior line positions to fill.

Zeitler is a true road grade blocker, who can also play the pass well. He's a workaholic in the weight and film room as well. I think he can redefine the giants Oline in general, and get them back to being a balanced team with an effective run game. He's also a guy that can likely start right away.

I also think OT is a position of need on this team, despite Locklear, but I couldn't find any OT's worthy of drafting at the 32 spot, nor in the 2nd, 3rd round either.

Yeah, we're fairly good at interior OLine. There are depth issues elsewhere...like OT, like RB, like TE and maybe even WR depending how Barden and Jernigan fair this season. LB, we've got a lot of youth there already...so adding to that might not be the best idea. Williams, Jones, Herzlich...all really young guys who have shown some flashes here and there, but anyhow...there should be another season to allow them to develop.

I wouldn't mind a S either in the draft. With the salary cap projected to maintain its current level, providing some depth at S would allow us to cut Rolle's salary down the road a bit.

At the end of the day we'll probably go "best player available," and I would LOVE to have a mauling, road-grading G or C in the mix. I don't think we've drafted one in the first round since Brian Williams, but I think we have some other needs that are more pressing. We have no idea who our backup RB or TE is going to be, and while you can feel a little better about our LB depth it's not like that's a strength.

At the end of the day we'll probably go "best player available," and I would LOVE to have a mauling, road-grading G or C in the mix. I don't think we've drafted one in the first round since Brian Williams, but I think we have some other needs that are more pressing. We have no idea who our backup RB or TE is going to be, and while you can feel a little better about our LB depth it's not like that's a strength.

Pretty much on the same page here. OT/TE/RB2/LB/WR3 are all questionable.

Pretty much on the same page here. OT/TE/RB2/LB/WR3 are all questionable.

I agree to some extent, but a few things:

-Based on Reese's draft history, he doesn't like drafting TE's (I think Shiancoe was still Ernie Arcosi, correct? so he's only drafted Beckum) - and this may be the case this year, especially given that he signed Bennett already, has Pascoe, Beckum (who I know is sub par), and Ballard should he come back healthy.

-OT to me seemed like the logical first round choice, my problem is when I got through to the #32 pick, there were no players available worthy of the pick. Same thing when I got to pick #64. All capable players were picked prior to those, based on what I've seen in other mock drafts

-RB - Outside of Trend Richardson, it's generally only an average class out there, and many of the backs are similar to what we already have, Bradshaw. I'd love for a guy like Doug Martin (another Boise St) guy to drop to us, or to pick up someone like Cyrus Gray in the middle rounds. Nevertheless, again I still believe the priority is OL first, and RB's will follow - There's no reason Ware can't compliment Bradshaw, and supplement with Scott (remember Tiki had fumbalidus before his career took off). I think Reese will go RB, possibly high in the draft as well, but in my estimation, we should focus on OL (and we all know I'm more qualified than Reese, haha).

-My LB only being picked in the middle rounds assumes Goff comes back healthy, Rivers is in the mix, and Sintim comes back healthy. When you look at it, we have a fair amount of depth + young players on the team currently: Boley, Goff, Kiwi, Rivers, Sintim, Jaquan Williams (I think he's very talented) and the two rookie FAs.

I agree to some extent, but a few things:

-Based on Reese's draft history, he doesn't like drafting TE's (I think Shiancoe was still Ernie Arcosi, correct? so he's only drafted Beckum) - and this may be the case this year, especially given that he signed Bennett already, has Pascoe, Beckum (who I know is sub par), and Ballard should he come back healthy.

In all likelihood, Ballard won't play this year...at all...and is a free agent at the end of the season. Beckum sucks. Pascoe is a backup. Bennett was only signed for a year. While we might not favor drafting a TE, especially early, we should address it, again, if for no other reason, than to provide flexibility NEXT year. Whatever production we'd get out of the draft pick this year, would be bonus.

-OT to me seemed like the logical first round choice, my problem is when I got through to the #32 pick, there were no players available worthy of the pick. Same thing when I got to pick #64. All capable players were picked prior to those, based on what I've seen in other mock drafts

Mike Adams may very well be available and would be worth the #32 in my opinion. I like Bobbie Massie too, but probably not until our 2nd round pick...thought admittedly, that'd be a stretch for him to make it that long. I'd be okay using our normal 4th rounder, to move up in the 2nd, to get Massie should we miss out on Adams in the first.

-RB - Outside of Trend Richardson, it's generally only an average class out there, and many of the backs are similar to what we already have, Bradshaw. I'd love for a guy like Doug Martin (another Boise St) guy to drop to us, or to pick up someone like Cyrus Gray in the middle rounds. Nevertheless, again I still believe the priority is OL first, and RB's will follow - There's no reason Ware can't compliment Bradshaw, and supplement with Scott (remember Tiki had fumbalidus before his career took off). I think Reese will go RB, possibly high in the draft as well, but in my estimation, we should focus on OL (and we all know I'm more qualified than Reese, haha).

RBs in general are having less of an importance in an ever-more passing friendly league. Richardson is definitely the cream of the crop this year, but there are definitely a few out there that I wouldn't mind having. I like Bernard Pierce in the 3rd, but would not complain about Doug Martin in the first if he's still there.

-My LB only being picked in the middle rounds assumes Goff comes back healthy, Rivers is in the mix, and Sintim comes back healthy. When you look at it, we have a fair amount of depth + young players on the team currently: Boley, Goff, Kiwi, Rivers, Sintim, Jaquan Williams (I think he's very talented) and the two rookie FAs.

I think Goff is as good as gone given the trade for Rivers. I think with LB, the young guys will only get better. Boley, Kiwi, Rivers, Williams...that's not a bad lineup...with Herzlich, Jones, Sintim in reserve. I'd still want a draft pick on LB though, because I have to believe that Osi is going to bolt next year when his contract is up. Someone's going to pay him handsomely, and I don't see that being us. So, moving Kiwi back to DE, might happen this year some, but would probably happen moreso next year. Filling that hole before it's truly a hole...my kind of proactive move (as opposed to being reactive and filling it when we have to).

I really wouldn't mind seeing us take a wr in the first. I'm not ruling Barden out, but I think he would have shown something by now. I know he's been injured and buried and I hope thats just been the case, but he's been here a few years right?

It would be nice to have a top tier TE, but we've won 2 super bowls without one, we just don't use that position to the extent other teams do, but we like our 3 receiver sets and spreading the ball around.

I know there are needs everywhere, and I know shit about this years draft class, but if there is a guy who falls to us, I'd like to see it.

I really wouldn't mind seeing us take a wr in the first. I'm not ruling Barden out, but I think he would have shown something by now. I know he's been injured and buried and I hope thats just been the case, but he's been here a few years right?

It would be nice to have a top tier TE, but we've won 2 super bowls without one, we just don't use that position to the extent other teams do, but we like our 3 receiver sets and spreading the ball around.

I know there are needs everywhere, and I know shit about this years draft class, but if there is a guy who falls to us, I'd like to see it.

I can see Reese taking a WR in the 1st or 2nd round. I think between picks 30-70 are where there is some real value available at the WR position in this draft class.

I can see Reese taking a WR in the 1st or 2nd round. I think between picks 30-70 are where there is some real value available at the WR position in this draft class.

Barden is going to have 3,000 yards and 32 TDs this year.

You heard it here first.

Typically I'm not a fan of tall OLs. If you recall we had our best running game when we had O'Hara, Snee, and Suebert. They have a lower center of gravity and are able to push DL's off a lot more effectively than taller guys... just look at the drop in the line since O'Hara got injured.

The way I see it Seph, the giants interior line is aging, and overall is below average. The team can't run the ball, and was generally getting their assess pushed back on running and passing downs. Diehl is very average at guard, and is also getting up there in age. Baas was a huge disappointment. Even Snee had issues last year. Boothe is a career backup and spot starter (and I think is currently a free agent).

I think Petrus is also serviceable and may even develop into a starter down the road, but looking ahead, we have two more interior line positions to fill.

Zeitler is a true road grade blocker, who can also play the pass well. He's a workaholic in the weight and film room as well. I think he can redefine the giants Oline in general, and get them back to being a balanced team with an effective run game. He's also a guy that can likely start right away.

I also think OT is a position of need on this team, despite Locklear, but I couldn't find any OT's worthy of drafting at the 32 spot, nor in the 2nd, 3rd round either.

Great post....and yeah, I agree, Zeitler would be a huge pick for the Giants.

Wisconsin offensive lineman are total blue chippers, too.

Unless you think of Diehl as a guard (and I don't), out interior line isn't particularly old. Snee is 30-31 this year, and the other guys are in their mid-20's. You could argue that the interior line never gelled last year due to injuries, but we lost the old guys last year.

We need OT's. Brewer is an unknown, Beatty is ok with no one behind him, and Diehl is getting long in the tooth. Wouldn't mind drafting a center, but that's because Baas was a little too injured for my tastes, not because he was particularly bad.

Zeitler looks good, I won't deny that.

But I'm thinking we're going defensive lineman 1st round. I don't know who, but with Tollefson gone and Osi gone shortly; Tuck walking wounded most seasons and only Austin and Bernard behind Canty and Joseph, it makes the most sense with our defensive configuration. Our offense, despite the oline weaknesses, was not the problem last season, and I don't take the losses of Manningham and Jacobs as gravely as some.

Just don't pick a running back in the first round, that's all I ask. Outside of Hampton, our first round runningbacks have been disasters for literally decades.

Unless you think of Diehl as a guard (and I don't), out interior line isn't particularly old. Snee is 30-31 this year, and the other guys are in their mid-20's. You could argue that the interior line never gelled last year due to injuries, but we lost the old guys last year.

We need OT's. Brewer is an unknown, Beatty is ok with no one behind him, and Diehl is getting long in the tooth. Wouldn't mind drafting a center, but that's because Baas was a little too injured for my tastes, not because he was particularly bad.

Zeitler looks good, I won't deny that.

But I'm thinking we're going defensive lineman 1st round. I don't know who, but with Tollefson gone and Osi gone shortly; Tuck walking wounded most seasons and only Austin and Bernard behind Canty and Joseph, it makes the most sense with our defensive configuration. Our offense, despite the oline weaknesses, was not the problem last season, and I don't take the losses of Manningham and Jacobs as gravely as some.

Just don't pick a running back in the first round, that's all I ask. Outside of Hampton, our first round runningbacks have been disasters for literally decades.

Agree...just like I was not wailing and gnashing my teeth last year about Boss and Smith...I am not wearing a hair shirt for Jacobs and Manningham either.

Revised - Mock Draft II

1 - Stephen Hill 6'4 215, WR Georgia Tech

2 - Mitchel Shwartz 6'6 310, OT California

4 - Jack Crawford 6'5 265, DE Penn St

4 - (Compensation Pick) Terrance Ganaway, 6'0 239, RB Baylor

6 - Corey Harkey 6'4 260, (Blocking) TE UCLA

Revised - Mock Draft II

1 - Stephen Hill 6'4 215, WR Georgia Tech

2 - Mitchel Shwartz 6'6 310, OT California

4 - Jack Crawford 6'5 265, DE Penn St

4 - (Compensation Pick) Terrance Ganaway, 6'0 239, RB Baylor

6 - Corey Harkey 6'4 260, (Blocking) TE UCLA

I would love to get Stephen Hill.....somehow, I don't think he'll be on the board at 32. Hill is long, tall and fast, which means he'd be paired up on the outside opposite Nicks and Cruz would go back to slot. If we pick up a hard nosed slot reciever, Cruz will go to the outside.

I can see us taking a WR in the first round (Stephen Hill or Kendall Wright) more than I see us taking a RB in the first. Since Reese has been at the helm, he's never taken a RB earlier than a 4th round and even though David Wilson, Lamar Miller, and Doug Martin are ranked in the first round by most analysts, the truth is...there's quite a drop off after Richardson who is a legitimate 1st round choice. And I don't see any RB that can outrun Scott who posted 40 times in the 4.3's last year and in preseason took a handoff 97 yds for a TD against the Bears and against the Patriots, took a fake punt handoff 65 yds for a TD. I think Scott is going to get a lot more touches this year and he's so freakin fast that he could end up splitting time equally with Bradshaw if he proves himself to TC. I also think Brown is gone so we could end up drafting 2 RB's before it's through....at the very least, there'll be several UDFA RB's in camp.

I like offensive weapons and if the staff burned their 1st pick on a WR (Hill or Wright) or TE (Fleener) I'd be very happy.

On the other hand, if there is even a smidgeon of a chance that SS Mark Barron is still on the board (and some analysts believe he could slip based on other teams needs and past draft styles), we have no choice but to take him. We lost Grant, Kenny is in his last year of his contract, Jones' future is up in the air, and Rolle is a salary cap killer. There's only 1 safety in this year's group that is a sure stud and future pro-bowler and that's Barron. There is no way we'll pass on him if he's there.....unless of course, Reese and TC are hell bent on getting Chandler Jones.

And....if Jones is there, he'd also be a great kid to be grooming for the future and I can see why the Giants would snap him up and I'd be happy.