SportsWrath

Vendetta's Giants Mock Draft I

mastershake

I would love to get Stephen Hill.....somehow, I don't think he'll be on the board at 32. Hill is long, tall and fast, which means he'd be paired up on the outside opposite Nicks and Cruz would go back to slot. If we pick up a hard nosed slot reciever, Cruz will go to the outside.

I can see us taking a WR in the first round (Stephen Hill or Kendall Wright) more than I see us taking a RB in the first. Since Reese has been at the helm, he's never taken a RB earlier than a 4th round and even though David Wilson, Lamar Miller, and Doug Martin are ranked in the first round by most analysts, the truth is...there's quite a drop off after Richardson who is a legitimate 1st round choice. And I don't see any RB that can outrun Scott who posted 40 times in the 4.3's last year and in preseason took a handoff 97 yds for a TD against the Bears and against the Patriots, took a fake punt handoff 65 yds for a TD. I think Scott is going to get a lot more touches this year and he's so freakin fast that he could end up splitting time equally with Bradshaw if he proves himself to TC. I also think Brown is gone so we could end up drafting 2 RB's before it's through....at the very least, there'll be several UDFA RB's in camp.

I like offensive weapons and if the staff burned their 1st pick on a WR (Hill or Wright) or TE (Fleener) I'd be very happy.

On the other hand, if there is even a smidgeon of a chance that SS Mark Barron is still on the board (and some analysts believe he could slip based on other teams needs and past draft styles), we have no choice but to take him. We lost Grant, Kenny is in his last year of his contract, Jones' future is up in the air, and Rolle is a salary cap killer. There's only 1 safety in this year's group that is a sure stud and future pro-bowler and that's Barron. There is no way we'll pass on him if he's there.....unless of course, Reese and TC are hell bent on getting Chandler Jones.

And....if Jones is there, he'd also be a great kid to be grooming for the future and I can see why the Giants would snap him up and I'd be happy.

Stephen Hill at #32 is indeed wishful thinking. CBS Sports has him ranked #30 overall, and Walters Mock Draft has him going #22 to the Browns. It's likely he's not around, but I can always wish. Stranger things have happened on draft day - Teams may be higher on other players, plus WR's and RB's have tended to fall as of the past several drafts. Hill is also not a finished product, he has some development he needs to do with route running, etc.

People are also saying Shwartz is surging up draft boards, so he may not be around at #64.

I'm sure I'll have to revise my draft once more as we move closer to draft day.

Revised - Mock Draft II

1 - Stephen Hill 6'4 215, WR Georgia Tech

2 - Mitchel Shwartz 6'6 310, OT California

3 - Trent Robinson 5'10 195, S, Michigan St

4 - Jack Crawford 6'5 265, DE Penn St

4 - (Compensation Pick) Terrance Ganaway, 6'0 239, RB Baylor

6 - Corey Harkey 6'4 260, (Blocking) TE UCLA

7 - Marquis Maze, WR (more of a PR/KR) 5'8 186, Alabama

I don't see us picking a 6 6" 310 lbs OL, simply put he's too tall for his weight for his position and those don't usually make great OLs. See Snee, O'Hara, Suebert for the prototype OL. I also don't see us going WR unless this guy you picked is the BPA available.

I see you are mocking Ganaway. I kinda like him. I just don't know. He's a big dude, I think he could be just a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" kind of guy at the next level. I think he'll go later than the 4th, personally, I think that's a reach... could be available in the 6th.

I see you are mocking Ganaway. I kinda like him. I just don't know. He's a big dude, I think he could be just a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" kind of guy at the next level. I think he'll go later than the 4th, personally, I think that's a reach... could be available in the 6th.

Asking as a question, have you seen him play?

His acceleration and speed remind me of an early Brandon Jacobs, without the height.

Asking as a question, have you seen him play?

His acceleration and speed remind me of an early Brandon Jacobs, without the height.

I've seen some game vids. Not the highlight vids, the game vids that show all his reps for a game. I'm on the fence with him. I like his size, I think Jacobs was a faster and quicker player coming out than Ganaway.

Vendetta's Final Mock Draft!

1 - Chandler Jones, 6'5 266 DE Syracuse

I'm convinced that this is a solid pick. In the game tape I've watched on Jones, he's a guy who find ways to put pressure on the quarterback, whether it be pushing back lineman or getting around them. He may be only average against the run to start, and he's played the vast majority at the RE position (where JPP excels), but at #32, you're not looking to hit a home run; you're trying to get a solid player with starting potential who can contribute. The move makes even more sense considering Osi has one year left at best, and Kiwi is also in the last year of his contract.

2 - Mitchel Schwartz 6'6 310, OT California

I strongly believe the mantra NFL games are won in the trenches. Schwartz is a guy with the ability to be used at a number of offensive line positions. He should be able to crack the starting lineup as a rookie, and for the giants it can't come too quickly. The giants OL in general produced average results in 2012, particularly in the run game. Diehl, Locklear, Baas and Snee are all +30, and aren't long term solutions. Beatty has one year left on his contract, and Booth is only a rotational player.

3 - Cyrus Gray, 5'10 206, RB Texas A & M

Might be wishful thinking of Gray falls this far, but RB's as of the past few years tend to slip, as the NFL game focus has turned to the pass. Gray is an all around back with great intangibles. Not the power back the giants are looking for, but is deceptively strong for his size. Gray is also a definite need considering Bradshaw generally can't carry for 250+ attempts consistently. Solid receiver out of the backfield, and not afraid to put up a block as well. Might be an exaggeration, but when I watched games of him, at times I thought he showed flashes better than Trenton Richardson.

4 - Keenan Robinson, 6'3 235, LB Texas

Solid and underrated LB prospect. Another player who might go higher than people think.

4 - Greg Childs, 6'3 217, WR Arkansas

Large possession receiver with 3rd or 2nd wideout potential. Ran a respectable 4.55 at the combine. Overshadowed by fellow Arkanzas receivers Joe Adams and Jarious Wright, and could be a potential steal in the 4th round.

A role player to help support the running game. Considered one of the top blocking TE's in this class.

7 - Ethan Johnson, 6'4 300, DT Notre Dame

Was a solid starter for three years, hampered by an ankle injury in 2011. Projects as a rotational lineman.

Vendetta's Final Mock Draft!

1 - Chandler Jones, 6'5 266 DE Syracuse

I'm convinced that this is a solid pick. In the game tape I've watched on Jones, he's a guy who find ways to put pressure on the quarterback, whether it be pushing back lineman or getting around them. He may be only average against the run to start, and he's played the vast majority at the RE position (where JPP excels), but at #32, you're not looking to hit a home run; you're trying to get a solid player with starting potential who can contribute. The move makes even more sense considering Osi has one year left at best, and Kiwi is also in the last year of his contract.

2 - Mitchel Schwartz 6'6 310, OT California

I strongly believe the mantra NFL games are won in the trenches. Schwartz is a guy with the ability to be used at a number of offensive line positions. He should be able to crack the starting lineup as a rookie, and for the giants it can't come too quickly. The giants OL in general produced average results in 2012, particularly in the run game. Diehl, Locklear, Baas and Snee are all +30, and aren't long term solutions. Beatty has one year left on his contract, and Booth is only a rotational player.

3 - Cyrus Gray, 5'10 206, RB Texas A & M

Might be wishful thinking of Gray falls this far, but RB's as of the past few years tend to slip, as the NFL game focus has turned to the pass. Gray is an all around back with great intangibles. Not the power back the giants are looking for, but is deceptively strong for his size. Gray is also a definite need considering Bradshaw generally can't carry for 250+ attempts consistently. Solid receiver out of the backfield, and not afraid to put up a block as well. Might be an exaggeration, but when I watched games of him, at times I thought he showed flashes better than Trenton Richardson.

4 - Keenan Robinson, 6'3 235, LB Texas

Solid and underrated LB prospect. Another player who might go higher than people think.

4 - Greg Childs, 6'3 217, WR Arkansas

Large possession receiver with 3rd or 2nd wideout potential. Ran a respectable 4.55 at the combine. Overshadowed by fellow Arkanzas receivers Joe Adams and Jarious Wright, and could be a potential steal in the 4th round.

A role player to help support the running game. Considered one of the top blocking TE's in this class.

7 - Ethan Johnson, 6'4 300, DT Notre Dame

Was a solid starter for three years, hampered by an ankle injury in 2011. Projects as a rotational lineman.

I love your first 3 picks, but think a WR would be better than a LB with the first 4th pick. I don't know much about the WR's after the top 4 or 5 so I can't really add any good comments on who we should get nor can I comment on Childs because I know nothing about him. All in all.....I'd be really happy with this draft if it pans out that way. I really like Jones, but have a bad feeling that he'll be off the board by 32. But ya never know.

Childs had a significant knee injury I believe, in 2010, right? I know during an earlier season he was a bigger part of the offense. He has big size, a big body, not great speed or quickness that I've seen. Last year, he did not put up good numbers at all, I'm sure coming off the knee was part of that, but he was the 6th leading receiver for Arkansas despite playing in 9 games.

On the plus side, he's a physical receiver that can catch balls in traffic, he will fight for the ball against corners and win that matchup most of the time. Obviously teams are thinking that because of his prototypical size (6'3", around 220), he will develop into a #1 type of receiver in the NFL.

I happen to think that Jarius Wright, his teammate, who was Arkansas' leading receiver, is a better fit for us, though. I really like Wright's game.

I don't see us picking a 6 6" 310 lbs OL, simply put he's too tall for his weight for his position and those don't usually make great OLs. See Snee, O'Hara, Suebert for the prototype OL. I also don't see us going WR unless this guy you picked is the BPA available.

Sorry Nas, you are a little confused. 6'6", 300 lb+ OT's are the prototype. Orlando Pace was 6'7", around 320. Ryan Clady is 6'6", around 310 or so. Joe Thomas, one of the best LT's in the game, is 6'6" around 310. Joe Staley is 6'5" 315. Levi Brown is 6'6" 325. It seems most of the great T's in the NFL are right around 6'6", over 300. Hell, even Kareem McKenzie is 6'6" 330. And our own Will Beatty is 6'6", 319. Typically your interior linemen are shorter and stout. But that's not a rule, either. Steve Hutchinson, maybe the greatest OG of all time is 6'5", around 313. Carl Nicks is 6'5", 343. But Schwartz has prototypical size for what you want in a OT.

Childs had a significant knee injury I believe, in 2010, right? I know during an earlier season he was a bigger part of the offense. He has big size, a big body, not great speed or quickness that I've seen. Last year, he did not put up good numbers at all, I'm sure coming off the knee was part of that, but he was the 6th leading receiver for Arkansas despite playing in 9 games.

On the plus side, he's a physical receiver that can catch balls in traffic, he will fight for the ball against corners and win that matchup most of the time. Obviously teams are thinking that because of his prototypical size (6'3", around 220), he will develop into a #1 type of receiver in the NFL.

I happen to think that Jarius Wright, his teammate, who was Arkansas' leading receiver, is a better fit for us, though. I really like Wright's game.

It's true, Child's wasn't really healthy in 2011 due to his injury at the end of the 2010 season. Prior to the injury in 2010, many scouting circles considered him to be a 2nd round talent.

I'd love for Jarius Wright as well, if he falls as far as the end of the fourth round, but Childs could be a good value pick. He performed well at the combine, and during his pro day showed he's back to full health. I really like Child's better in the 5th round, but we don't have a 5th round pick. At the end of the fourth round, again, not looking to hit a home run here, but am looking for a guy who can be a solid #3 receiver, spot start in the near term if there are injuries, and can develop into a #2 receiver down the line. He also has the height and frame to be an end zone target.

Anyway, my goal during the draft, whether it be Child's or not, is to pick up a capable WR in the middle rounds - whether it be Child's or someone else. My draft assumes nobody else better falls to us in the 4th round. If available, the other two Arkansas WR's would be great, as would TJ Graham from NC State, Ryan Broyles from Oklahoma (both of whom also have a return game), Tommy Streeter, etc. We'll see - I'm not totally locked into just Childs by any means. If a better WR prospect is there, take him.

Here is Greg Child's Profile:

6'3 217, 4.52 40

Biography: Part-time starter the past three seasons, finishing with 41 receptions/518 yards/2 touchdowns as a senior after posting 46/659/6 the prior year. Sophomore totals included 48/894/7.

Positives: Nice-sized possession receiver who never elevated his game after a terrific 2008 campaign. Finds the soft spot in the defense, extends his hands and looks the pass in. Easily makes the reception running laterally, fights for the ball and gets up in a crowd to grab the ball. Quickly transitions from making the catch to running after the reception. Works to make the catch away from his frame. Displays soft and strong hands with the ability to snatch the pass from the air. Effectively uses his frame to protect the pass or defeat opponents.

Negatives: One-speed receiver who does not display a burst. Lacks a quick release off the line of scrimmage and slows into routes.

Analysis: Childs rated high on the list of receiver prospects after his sophomore season, but lost playing time to the speedier, field-stretching wideouts on the Arkansas roster the past two years. He possesses the size and pass-catching skills to be an effective third receiver at the next level and could develop into a No. 2 if he elevates his game.