SportsWrath

Well....Tolly's gone - crap!

BleedinBlue

"Dave Tollefson Agrees to Terms With Raiders"

What a bummer. And he only got a 2-year contract worth a total of 2.5 mil......I can't believe the Giants couldn't pony up 1.25 million a year to keep Tolly. He was a superb role player who played with his entire heart and never complained about sitting behind the stars of the game. When he came in....he always made his presence known and was simply a great player to come off the bench to spell the big guns.

I'm pissed at how little he could be signed for and that the Giants didn't even attempt to keep him. The front office must know something we don't.

Yeah, I just don't think they had any room with the salary cap that would leave them space for rookies and a little wiggle room to make moves later.

It doesn't seem like a lot, though, and I always thought Tolly was under-appreciated. It always seemed like when he was on the field, he was doing something positive. Good luck in the Black Hole, Tolly. I hope he plays very well for them, and gets to start.

Sorry to see him go...but I think Tollie was another Chad Bradzke and the Giants knew it. Strahan should have gotten a third of the money of guys contracts who lined up on the other side of him. Tollie played on a line with JPP, Tuck and Osi so maybe they elevated his game. Who knows the next Tollie might be even better. :P The Giants have taught me not to be too wedded to any player since the end of the George Young era...he was a big proponent of resigning his own even in the early free agent era and we paid dearly for it. You can't look at your own players with rose tinted glasses if you want to win consistently in today's league.

Sorry to see him go...but I think Tollie was another Chad Bradzke and the Giants knew it. Strahan should have gotten a third of the money of guys contracts who lined up on the other side of him. Tollie played on a line with JPP, Tuck and Osi so maybe they elevated his game. Who knows the next Tollie might be even better. :P The Giants have taught me not to be too wedded to any player since the end of the George Young era...he was a big proponent of resigning his own even in the early free agent era and we paid dearly for it. You can't look at your own players with rose tinted glasses if you want to win consistently in today's league.

I agree that you can't let your heart make decisions in this game, but Tolly was a very, very, useful and solid role player. I don't believe they are going to find as good of a backup on the line for 1.25 million a year. Craig Marshall is on the practice team, but the Giants have cut him and resigned him to the practice squad so many times that I can't think they believe he is the answer. If they dip into the free agent market, they'll never find a backup as good as Tolly for that kind of money. I guess we just have to wait and see what TC and Reese have in mind. Maybe they have their eyes on a DE in the draft....and that certainly wouldn't surprise me as they love to burn early picks on a position that is already stacked. On the other hand, you can't fault them when you see the results they've had doing just that. Still....I will miss Tolly.

Are we THAT tight with the cap that we can't keep such a useful, reliable player as Tolly for $1.25M per? If his replacement makes the minimum, it's saving what? $750,000? I wonder if they'd still like to get Kiwi back to playing DE in more sets and this clears the way for that move?

I agree that you can't let your heart make decisions in this game, but Tolly was a very, very, useful and solid role player. I don't believe they are going to find as good of a backup on the line for 1.25 million a year. Craig Marshall is on the practice team, but the Giants have cut him and resigned him to the practice squad so many times that I can't think they believe he is the answer. If they dip into the free agent market, they'll never find a backup as good as Tolly for that kind of money. I guess we just have to wait and see what TC and Reese have in mind. Maybe they have their eyes on a DE in the draft....and that certainly wouldn't surprise me as they love to burn early picks on a position that is already stacked. On the other hand, you can't fault them when you see the results they've had doing just that. Still....I will miss Tolly.

Yeah I liked him too...but maybe they saw something we didn't...good luck to him in Raider land.

Are we THAT tight with the cap that we can't keep such a useful, reliable player as Tolly for $1.25M per? If his replacement makes the minimum, it's saving what? $750,000? I wonder if they'd still like to get Kiwi back to playing DE in more sets and this clears the way for that move?

Might be...

Bleedin, he's going to get more playing time in Oakland, which gives him the chance to earn more later if he impresses out there. I'm sure he doesn't want to be a role player all his life. I think the Raiders get a decent player and we can possibly address his replacement in the draft or in the cuts. Good luck to the lad.

I liked him but he won't be very hard to replace.

He'll be damn hard to replace for 1 1/4 million a year - especially another player with two SB rings on his hand. He was always giving the stars a breather and played hard every play; never complained; didn't make bonehead mistakes on the field; knew our system inside and out; and was a coaching delight.

I hope he does well in Oakland and he finally gets the credit he deserves. I wish him the best of luck and tip my hat to the guy for the time spent in a Giants uniform.

He'll be damn hard to replace for 1 1/4 million a year - especially another player with two SB rings on his hand. He was always giving the stars a breather and played hard every play; never complained; didn't make bonehead mistakes on the field; knew our system inside and out; and was a coaching delight.

I hope he does well in Oakland and he finally gets the credit he deserves. I wish him the best of luck and tip my hat to the guy for the time spent in a Giants uniform.

As Lindval Joseph/Canty and even Bernard played well this year, Tolly got on the field less. Giants were using less of the 4 end lineup and even when they did go to it, Canty was the 4th end a lot of the time. I think he made a smart move here. I agree with you though, I thought he was very underated.

When Tuck and Osi were out earlier in the year, Tolly was a big part of the rotation and played pretty damn well. For a guy who played limited reps for him to get 5 sacks for us and 2 FF's as a 4th DE, that's pretty huge. Many people may not know that he had as many sacks as Tuck during the regular season. Who knows, without his 2 sacks in that AZ game we might not win that game.

He really did play great when he was in, I think he's going to win a starting job in Oakland if he is blessed with good health. Just saying a rookie isn't going to replace him. I still think he left because the Giants weren't going to pay anything more than the vet minimum for a rotational guy, and he knows with JPP, Tuck, Osi, and Kiwi all here, and all playing at least some time at DE (in Kiwi's case), he had a better chance to get a real shot somewhere else, and good for him. He's damn well earned it.

I would not be surprised to see him put together a double digit sack season for Oakland.

While I agree on the concept, I look it at a bit differently... I think Tolly benefited from being well rested. How many times do we see images of Tuck, JPP, or Osi sucking wind... having said that .. I wish Tolly well.

Didn't they let Jacobs go over $500, 000? Cap space may just be that tight.

The Giants have taught me not to be too wedded to any player since the end of the George Young era...he was a big proponent of resigning his own even in the early free agent era and we paid dearly for it.

What... you didn't think Corey Widmer was worth it? ;)

I'm gonna be sad to see Tolly go... solid role-player for us, and seemed like a real stand-up guy. With Tollefson gone and Osi likely out after this year, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Giants pick up someone on the D-line in the first round.

No way in hell Jones lasts to our pick in round 2.

Jones probably is more of a fit has a five technique in a 3-4, I am hearing late first/early second. I would want Whitney Mercilus in round one, maybe even Quinton Coples fall through the cracks and we get him.

I'd love it if we could snag Chandler Jones in round 2. Or Andre Branch in the 3rd.

Mel Kipper has Jones going in the top 16.....which means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Jones is a decent player that I suspect will go in the 2nd round....but not the last pick of the 2nd round. But I agree with you that picking another elite DE is fine with me. It's a strategy that has worked very, very well for the Gints.

I agree with bigblue that Whitney Mercilus would be a great pickup in our first round....if he is still on the board. He's quick, has the right size, and is a sack machine.