SportsWrath

On the bright side...

Allstarjim

Well, Bradshaw has at least the threat of catching a pass. Plus he's a tough runner. My thought is why do they stick with a run up the middle in a 8 or 9 man box... you have a #1 overall QB in his prime, and 2 receivers that are supposed to be one of the league's best tandems, but you don't go to them when you absolutely need a first down with the game on the line?

that's true, but it hink a pass would be more effective if they saw the threat of jacobs rather than bradshaw. in either case, a pitch to the outside isn't a good call and neither is a run up the middle with bradshaw. i could definitely live with a pass on either of those plays but i think jacobs is a better rb to have back there in that situation

the playcalling is still just as pathetic as ever

why is bradshaw in on short yardage situations? it's stupid and indefensible

The timeout before the Washington punt was pretty stellar too.Good thing we lost by two touchdowns and didn't end up needing it.

The timeout before the Washington punt was pretty stellar too.Good thing we lost by two touchdowns and didn't end up needing it.

Ya, what the fuck is up with stupid little mistakes like that? Tom Coughlin was supposed to be the fucking BOSS. We were supposed to have less penalties, less turnovers, less mistakes, and less injuries. We still struggle with the things that were supposed to be corrected with Tom Coughlin. We always have.

Well, Bradshaw has at least the threat of catching a pass. Plus he's a tough runner. My thought is why do they stick with a run up the middle in a 8 or 9 man box... you have a #1 overall QB in his prime, and 2 receivers that are supposed to be one of the league's best tandems, but you don't go to them when you absolutely need a first down with the game on the line?

All that have to start with the O-line. They can't even give Eli a good second. Through out the whole game you can tell Eli was uncomfortable with the protection.

Well, our oline was very inconsistent and that had an effect on our passing and running games. Our defense showed that we could not absorb the loss of Tuck as well; that no matter how promising he might be, Jones is a rookie; and that there was a reason Thomas had Ross beaten on the depth chart.

But let's face it, that was an improved Redskin team as well, and they looked better than they have in years. Give them some credit.

Here are some bright spots for you guys:

• Boley is playing better than I've seen him since he signed his contract
  • Our oline will gel, hopefully soon
  • JPP is frighteningly good
  • Ballard didn't look too bad at all
  • We actually had a pass to a fullback for a completion!
  • Phillips had a couple of nice plays

The second half killed us--our defense couldn't give us much in the way of field position and was cut apart by Grossman and made Hightower look good; the offense did nothing with the ball; and even when it did, specials blew the FG. Next game.

Well, our oline was very inconsistent and that had an effect on our passing and running games. Our defense showed that we could not absorb the loss of Tuck as well; that no matter how promising he might be, Jones is a rookie; and that there was a reason Thomas had Ross beaten on the depth chart.

But let's face it, that was an improved Redskin team as well, and they looked better than they have in years. Give them some credit.

Here are some bright spots for you guys:

• Boley is playing better than I've seen him since he signed his contract
  • Our oline will gel, hopefully soon
  • JPP is frighteningly good
  • Ballard didn't look too bad at all
  • We actually had a pass to a fullback for a completion!
  • Phillips had a couple of nice plays

The second half killed us--our defense couldn't give us much in the way of field position and was cut apart by Grossman and made Hightower look good; the offense did nothing with the ball; and even when it did, specials blew the FG. Next game.

Yea but Rolle needs to get his head of our his ass and learn how to tackle.. better yet.. don't fucking tackle.. just touch the guy when he's already down.. don't lead with your fucking head and give them a first down :furious:

Fish, all good observations. I think what troubles me the most is that I look around the league at the other premier QB's and they seem to handle the blitz better than Eli. It seems all the Redskins needed to do was rush 6 and they were going to win that play. Success in the NFL at QB can in some way be measured by how you react to the blitz. Maybe he just needed to get that out of his system, but I'd like Eli to play with less calm sometimes and play with some urgency.

And Gilbride sucks. I'm reading a lot about how we need to run the ball more. I think that's true to a degree... but I don't have a problem with the ratio of run to pass as much as I do that the situations in which he chooses to run drive me crazy. They ran up the middle on 2 and 20. Even if you get a 10 yard run out of that you are still 3rd and 10. They run every time in the obvious running situations. To me, the offense has a very long way to go if the Giants have any intention of finishing the season with a winning record, forget the playoffs. And that starts with Gilbride and Eli.

I agree, Jim. The Giants, in general, rely far to heavily on their players making important mental decisions on the fly. The defensive personnel is just not good enough to do it. The offense is never on the same page. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Nicks and Manning don't completely devastate teams all game. It's like Eli forgets he has one of the league's best wide receivers in the second half.

::applause::

we'll never really know what we have in this offense because they've got these guys trying to make too many adjustments on the field, mid-play. 18 plays is enough for Peyton Manning, why isn't it enough for the Giants?

If human beings were actually capable of using it to its fullest, the Gilbride offensive system would be unstoppable. But getting eleven guys to play with the same set of eyes is damn near impossible.

Here's another problem: Peyton would have told his coaches to sit down and shut the fuck up when they try to run something he knows won't work. Either Eli doesn't know his coaches have him proverbially running into a wall over and over, or he just doesn't have the stones to insist on a scheme his guys can run.

The brightest spot of the whole game for sure was THERE WERE NO INJURIES. Yeah, Nicks had his wrist looked at (turned out it's okay) and Ballard had a bruised hip (he too is okay), and Eli got flattened plenty of times, BUT NO INJURIES.

With Osi and Tuck back on the line soon and the unveiling of Prince (take a seat Ross), we should be good enough to find ourselves with a mediocre record and get to draft among the second tier prospects next year....which is hardly a consolation prize. We could be drafting ahead of all three of our division rivals. That's really stretching it to find a bright spot, but there you go.

Fish, all good observations. I think what troubles me the most is that I look around the league at the other premier QB's and they seem to handle the blitz better than Eli. It seems all the Redskins needed to do was rush 6 and they were going to win that play. Success in the NFL at QB can in some way be measured by how you react to the blitz. Maybe he just needed to get that out of his system, but I'd like Eli to play with less calm sometimes and play with some urgency.

And Gilbride sucks. I'm reading a lot about how we need to run the ball more. I think that's true to a degree... but I don't have a problem with the ratio of run to pass as much as I do that the situations in which he chooses to run drive me crazy. They ran up the middle on 2 and 20. Even if you get a 10 yard run out of that you are still 3rd and 10. They run every time in the obvious running situations. To me, the offense has a very long way to go if the Giants have any intention of finishing the season with a winning record, forget the playoffs. And that starts with Gilbride and Eli.

Are we really blaming Eli for failed blocking? Even on that great pick-up block by Jacobs, the guy he blocked at the very last second was running free. Our problem with blitzing is pretty simple at the moment: we don't have anyone that's particularly good receiving short range, and our oline isn't good enough at the moment to hold the rushers up enough to go further downfield.

Every QB has issues with blitzing, and if they didn't, blitzing would be a thing of the past.

Do we really need to play this "blame Gilbride" crap already? I didn't see any facet of this team stand out as particularly let down by any other facet. The special teams had an opportunity to put points on the board and failed; the defense gave up points and more importantly gave up enough yardage where the offense started consistently behind the 20 yard line; and the offense gave up points and failed to move the ball consistently. Blame one, blame them all.

Here, I'll do my part. One thing that drives me absolutely crazy is 4th and 1, and we only have one guy in the backfield...is anyone fooled by that?

The brightest spot of the whole game for sure was THERE WERE NO INJURIES. Yeah, Nicks had his wrist looked at (turned out it's okay) and Ballard had a bruised hip (he too is okay), and Eli got flattened plenty of times, BUT NO INJURIES.

With Osi and Tuck back on the line soon and the unveiling of Prince (take a seat Ross), we should be good enough to find ourselves with a mediocre record and get to draft among the second tier prospects next year....which is hardly a consolation prize. We could be drafting ahead of all three of our division rivals. That's really stretching it to find a bright spot, but there you go.

Agreed Bleedin.....NO INJURIES. Thank goodness.

I didnt see it either. Some say our Dline played well. Other than JPP thats just false.

Canty and Tollefson both had sacks... Tollefson got pushed around a little, but the interior linemen for the most part played very well. The problem is that faith in Greg Jones and the other young linebackers this early was misplaced. I'm going to re-watch sometime this week but from what I saw, we missed Tuck, but the other guys did well on the front four. But again, you can't play great defense based on your front four alone. You've got to have the linebackers filling gaps and stopping the underneath, short yardage passing game. That didn't happen.

I didnt see it either. Some say our Dline played well. Other than JPP thats just false.

Going back to the highlights, they did bring a linebacker on a delayed blitz on the long pass to Campbell... although that might have just been a linebacker crashing on his man coverage responsibility, its possible his guy stayed in to block... if it was a blitz, it sure wasn't well designed, there was no rush lane... that was the play that Rolle had really good coverage, but it was just a perfect pass and catch. When Gaffney burned Ross (and Deon Grant... not sure who was supposed to have him there) they only brought four.

I don't think they brought a real blitz on more than four or five plays all day.

Canty and Tollefson both had sacks... Tollefson got pushed around a little, but the interior linemen for the most part played very well. The problem is that faith in Greg Jones and the other young linebackers this early was misplaced. I'm going to re-watch sometime this week but from what I saw, we missed Tuck, but the other guys did well on the front four. But again, you can't play great defense based on your front four alone. You've got to have the linebackers filling gaps and stopping the underneath, short yardage passing game. That didn't happen.

They did??? I missed those completely.

Are we really blaming Eli for failed blocking? Even on that great pick-up block by Jacobs, the guy he blocked at the very last second was running free. Our problem with blitzing is pretty simple at the moment: we don't have anyone that's particularly good receiving short range, and our oline isn't good enough at the moment to hold the rushers up enough to go further downfield.

Every QB has issues with blitzing, and if they didn't, blitzing would be a thing of the past.

Do we really need to play this "blame Gilbride" crap already? I didn't see any facet of this team stand out as particularly let down by any other facet. The special teams had an opportunity to put points on the board and failed; the defense gave up points and more importantly gave up enough yardage where the offense started consistently behind the 20 yard line; and the offense gave up points and failed to move the ball consistently. Blame one, blame them all.

Here, I'll do my part. One thing that drives me absolutely crazy is 4th and 1, and we only have one guy in the backfield...is anyone fooled by that?

What about having DJ Ware in the backfield on that 3rd and long when they were backed up to their own goalline?

Seriously, we have two solid backs who were both running well, why is the third-string guy in there on a crucial play?

But see, if they had decided to pass on 2nd and 20, Gilbride would have dialed up a wide receiver screen, which our team consistently fails at running every time......

Gilbride is lost.

What about having DJ Ware in the backfield on that 3rd and long when they were backed up to their own goalline?

Seriously, we have two solid backs who were both running well, why is the third-string guy in there on a crucial play?

Well, I know why Bradshaw isn't on the field....he couldn't block Steve Weatherford in pass protection.

Jacobs isn't exactly a receiving threat.

So I'm guessing they go with the back that is best at both pass protection and receiving. It would be Ware, but he still is awful.

We have the worst 3rd down personnel in the league. No tight end. No slot wide receiver (why wasn't Hixon on the field more??). No receiving running back.

Why is Devin Thomas not the third receiver I wonder? He was the best of the bunch after Nicks and Manningham all preseason. What's crazy is we have players that can inject life into this stagnant, cesspool of an offense. They just don't get snaps... The most exciting player in the backfield of that offense is Da'Rell Scott, who can catch the ball... you would think you could carve out a role for him and make him the 3rd down RB.

Well, I know why Bradshaw isn't on the field.... he couldn't block Steve Weatherford in pass protection.

Jacobs isn't exactly a receiving threat.

So I'm guessing they go with the back that is best at both pass protection and receiving. It would be Ware, but he still is awful.

We have the worst 3rd down personnel in the league. No tight end. No slot wide receiver (why wasn't Hixon on the field more??). No receiving running back.

:laugh: Hey Steve Weatherford is a good athlete! :laugh: