SportsWrath

On the bright side...

Allstarjim

When you tell me that you sat through the Arnsparger/McVay years and stayed loyal to this point and beyond, then you can lecture me. Until then, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't call me a bandwagoner.

I happen to think this will be a very good team next year: possibly the one to beat. But not this year.

1. We are far too raw early on, when our schedule is easiest; so it isn't likely we'll maximize the opportunity;
  2. When we actually do kick into gear (assuming we do), we'll be playing very strong teams;
  3. In the one year when a veteran team has an advantage, we are relying heavily on 1st- and 2nd- year players; which, ironically, is not typical of TC teams;
  4. Let's face it--there are flaws in this team with the talent remaining, how it's run, and its overall morale.

The positive is that we'll have a nice core of young players with experience; we'll know where we stand with all of the new draftees going forward and have a clearer idea of team needs; and with the possible exception of RT, we'll have a nice, stable oline for years to come. That's all very positive for 2012.

But this year is shaping up to be 2009 all over again. We're expecting way too much from players that are simply not ready to meet those expectations yet. Prince is going to come back in a few weeks and magically fix the backfield with two practices under his belt? Hixon (IR last season), Cruz (2nd year, UDFA, and IR'd last year), and Jernigan (rookie) are going to immediately replace a probowler? If not, Barden (IR'd half of last season, missed all of preseason) is going to fly off of PUP in November and immediately save the day? :facepalm:

Please don't point to last year's Packers. They were the exception, not the rule.

So my routine this season is going to be about the same as it has been for almost 40 years now. I will watch this team every opportunity I can; and I will hope that they win every game they play. What I will NOT do is expect them to win 10-11 games.

Exactly effing right. Schedule analysis is spot on. Depending on how fast we jell & develop, could be 8-8 and don't be stunned if it's 5-11.

And my point was that while all these players are developing and jelling - esp the OL - they are getting beat on too many plays and our QB is under siege. Eli can't hold the ball and see that his receiver has improvised; he has to release the ball before or right at the receiver's break. Large chunks of your playbook go out the window if you can't give your QB time to look upfield. The OL has to get better. It all starts there for the offense.

And yeah, those McVay/Arnsparger years were bad....but there were a lot of tough years. I was in Yankee Stadium for renditions of "Goodbye Allie"!