SportsWrath

On the bright side...

Allstarjim

Everybody's gonna freak out because Eli just got outplayed by Grossman and the Giants defense and Redskins defense looked like they switched places. But, when you think about it, in a couple of weeks we could have Umenyiora, Tuck, and Amukamara playing, as well as a new linebacker that I expect will be signed this week.

Of course, none of that will matter because our offense still sucks. And really, I'd like to hear the apologists and homers come out now. The Giants have been consistently bad throughout the preseason and they were just as bad today. And Eli... I'm sorry... but this was one game but it really is a microcosm of what we've seen. He considers himself a top 5 QB but a top 5 QB would have put the team on his back and given the Giants a chance to win today. I'll say it again, Grossman outplayed him today.

I really do see a losing season for this team and at least it's in part due to a disregard for protecting the health of the starters during the preseason for one. Also, we've seen the same bone-headed play-calling today that we've seen so much of out of Gilbride. They mentioned we were the NFL's worst team in 4th down conversions last year and it comes as no surprise. 3rd or 4th and 2 or less and it's obvious that the Giants are running off tackle or up the middle. Gilbride will run that ball right into the middle of a 9 man front with 7 blockers and will be surprised every time he doesn't make it. At least twice today I''m looking at the Redskins defense and wondering why not just throw a quick slant on 3rd or 4th and short? A #1 overall QB has to make that play regardless of the playcall.

Basically, I predicted a 6-10 season for this team and I might've been too optimistic. This really could be the Coughlin era's last year. The NFL is a dynamic, ever-changing beast. You either change with it or get left behind. You look at what the successful teams are doing and it's so different from what we are doing. We still are playing old school football in a pass-first league. We continue to have a pass-offense that is predicated on receivers and the QB making the same read in real-time. It's not working, it's just not. Anybody can look at the tape today and see that heavy reliance on that philosophy is not going to work. Run the fucking play, and if it's not there, that's why you have checkdowns.

I expect to be roundly criticized because it's only one game, but as inept as this offense has looked throughout the preseason and today, you really can't have an expectation for a good season this year.

Everybody's gonna freak out because Eli just got outplayed by Grossman and the Giants defense and Redskins defense looked like they switched places. But, when you think about it, in a couple of weeks we could have Umenyiora, Tuck, and Amukamara playing, as well as a new linebacker that I expect will be signed this week.

Of course, none of that will matter because our offense still sucks. And really, I'd like to hear the apologists and homers come out now. The Giants have been consistently bad throughout the preseason and they were just as bad today. And Eli... I'm sorry... but this was one game but it really is a microcosm of what we've seen. He considers himself a top 5 QB but a top 5 QB would have put the team on his back and given the Giants a chance to win today. I'll say it again, Grossman outplayed him today.

I really do see a losing season for this team and at least it's in part due to a disregard for protecting the health of the starters during the preseason for one. Also, we've seen the same bone-headed play-calling today that we've seen so much of out of Gilbride. They mentioned we were the NFL's worst team in 4th down conversions last year and it comes as no surprise. 3rd or 4th and 2 or less and it's obvious that the Giants are running off tackle or up the middle. Gilbride will run that ball right into the middle of a 9 man front with 7 blockers and will be surprised every time he doesn't make it. At least twice today I''m looking at the Redskins defense and wondering why not just throw a quick slant on 3rd or 4th and short? A #1 overall QB has to make that play regardless of the playcall.

Basically, I predicted a 6-10 season for this team and I might've been too optimistic. This really could be the Coughlin era's last year. The NFL is a dynamic, ever-changing beast. You either change with it or get left behind. You look at what the successful teams are doing and it's so different from what we are doing. We still are playing old school football in a pass-first league. We continue to have a pass-offense that is predicated on receivers and the QB making the same read in real-time. It's not working, it's just not. Anybody can look at the tape today and see that heavy reliance on that philosophy is not going to work. Run the fucking play, and if it's not there, that's why you have checkdowns.

I expect to be roundly criticized because it's only one game, but as inept as this offense has looked throughout the preseason and today, you really can't have an expectation for a good season this year.

That's the bright side???

We'll see what the injury report looks like next week but the Rams, if Bradford plays, will probably beat us. We have no chance of beating the Eagles. Even if we score 28 points, which would be a helluva day for this offense, the defense will allow 42 with all the injuries we've suffered and the team speed the Eagles' offense has.

I rather suck and get some players back at beginning of the season then start great and shit out at the end. 2007 anyone? 0-2 and look terrible. i wana be optimistic and give them a chance till we get some guys back.

This isn't 2007. We have a similar offense to 2007 but people fail to realize the NFL has adjusted since then. The team we had in 2007 doesn't win the Super Bowl in 2011. That's because the NFC has much better teams now, that can beat you with superior QB play and with receivers that can stretch the field. This is a new era. You have to be able to go 3 or 4 wide and know that your 3rd or 4th receiver is going to beat their defense. We don't have that. And you have to have a QB that can see the whole field and make the proper read.

We don't have that either. Eli needs the eye of the tiger. Not joking. He needs to be able to impose his will on the defense. He has not shown he can do that.

Did you see Drew Brees in the redzone on Thursday night? He pump faked the throw to the outside, faked the draw to the running back, and then threw to the opposite side to Jimmy Graham for the TD. Brees sold the defense a story... and then put a dagger in them. Eli is throwing it and hoping.

I agree, Jim. The Giants, in general, rely far to heavily on their players making important mental decisions on the fly. The defensive personnel is just not good enough to do it. The offense is never on the same page. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Nicks and Manning don't completely devastate teams all game. It's like Eli forgets he has one of the league's best wide receivers in the second half.

I've heard slot about how the Skins are suppost to be better and we have beat them what 7 games straight prior to today??

So they had to win one eventually/

Ross sucks though.

Ross is absolutely awful. I can't remember the last time I've seen a CB so lost in the red zone than that play to Armstrong. It was like he was completely unaware that Gross might consider throwing the ball to his side.

The zone D looked terrible, as it did in preseason. And why were they playing a soft zone on that 4th & 5? Surely you try to jam the receivers there instead of giving them a 7 yard cushion?

Still, the D did enough to keep us in that game if the O could have done ANYTHING in the second half. Just ridiculous. How many years worth of delay-of-game penalties do we need to put up with until they do something about it? How often do we need to see success in the run game only to have Gilbride go pass-happy?

Ross is absolutely awful. I can't remember the last time I've seen a CB so lost in the red zone than that play to Armstrong. It was like he was completely unaware that Gross might consider throwing the ball to his side.

You have to give Grossman some credit; both of those TD passes were right on the money into tight coverage.

I agree, Jim. The Giants, in general, rely far to heavily on their players making important mental decisions on the fly. The defensive personnel is just not good enough to do it. The offense is never on the same page. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Nicks and Manning don't completely devastate teams all game. It's like Eli forgets he has one of the league's best wide receivers in the second half.

Absolutely. You see flashes of it and then they go away from it. The better teams in the league are going to their go-to receivers or dynamic pass catching TE's on 3rd and short and we are running the ball into a literal wall of bodies as if the laws of physics don't apply to our running backs. Eli needs a dynamic cast around him to be great. All this team needs is a Revis-type corner, a tall receiver opposite Nicks, an Antonio Gates-type TE and a MLB like Patrick Willis... Other than that we're good! :TU:

Yea he needs to pick his game up a ton if we want any shot at a winning season.

With all of our injuries, not a single one is even half as bad as the loss of T2.

Absolutely. You see flashes of it and then they go away from it. The better teams in the league are going to their go-to receivers or dynamic pass catching TE's on 3rd and short and we are running the ball into a literal wall of bodies as if the laws of physics don't apply to our running backs. Eli needs a dynamic cast around him to be great. All this team needs is a Revis-type corner, a tall receiver opposite Nicks, an Antonio Gates-type TE and a MLB like Patrick Willis... Other than that we're good! :TU:

Well, we are deathly afraid of good MLBs...so that's out....

You have to give Grossman some credit; both of those TD passes were right on the money into tight coverage.

not gonna lie, he looked really good. even early on when we were pressuring the shit out of him he was stepping up and throwing some darts

the playcalling is still just as pathetic as ever

why is bradshaw in on short yardage situations? it's stupid and indefensible

Well, Bradshaw has at least the threat of catching a pass. Plus he's a tough runner. My thought is why do they stick with a run up the middle in a 8 or 9 man box... you have a #1 overall QB in his prime, and 2 receivers that are supposed to be one of the league's best tandems, but you don't go to them when you absolutely need a first down with the game on the line?