SportsWrath

Eli Manning Sticks Up For Tiki Barber

Mr. P

Eli+22giants_1_600.jpg

New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning scored some points in the locker room before the '07 season when he fired back at retired running back Tiki Barber regarding some critical comments he'd made. This week, Manning wasn't taking the bait during his weekly visit with ESPN 1050 in New York via sportsradiointerviews.com:

"You know if they’re asking him questions, he’s gonna say something and say whatever is on his mind," said Manning, who always measures his words carefully. "A few years ago, he made comments about me and I kinda fired back and went through the whole deal. Not that I feel bad for Tiki, but it’s unfortunate how everything has happened. My brother told me that when they introduced him [sunday] there were a lot of boos. It’s just unfortunate because he was a great player for the Giants, had a great career, and was a great player in my first years here and helped us win a lot of games when I wasn’t playing particularly well.

"It’s unfortunate how it’s all happened, but I think he’s definitely deserving of making the Ring of Honor. It’s unfortunate how people view him now because he was a great player for the Giants, but things have happened that are unfortunate."

I think Barber's fortunate Manning took such a gracious approach. And he's right about the positive impact Barber had with the Giants. On the flip side, no one forced Barber to call out his former head coach last week. During a week when you're being honored by the Giants organization, it seems like poor form to talk about how he's losing the locker room.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/19518/eli-manning-sticks-up-for-tiki-barber

Fact is most ex-players get a free pass when it comes to being critical of their old teams. Tiki's gone out of his way to make waves and get attention by taking jabs at the Giants. Sanders, Faulk, Irvin etc. are all dumb fucks but they've never needed to resort to torching their old teams.

Fact is most ex-players get a free pass when it comes to being critical of their old teams. Tiki's gone out of his way to make waves and get attention by taking jabs at the Giants. Sanders, Faulk, Irvin etc. are all dumb fucks but they've never needed to resort to torching their old teams.

Then you havent heard Sanders talk about the Falcons and why he left the town or how Faulk still believes he was over used by the Rams which lead to a shorter career.

Irvin is just to fucking stupid to think of anything intelligent so he gets a pass on whatever he says.

Like most fans I was very upset with Barber. A few months ago I stated I was over the drama and that Barber is one of my all time favorite Giants. I'm shocked he was booed by the fans... I thought they'd be gracious enough to cheer the guy.. I know I would have.

in the grand scheme of things, Tiki Barber has done nothing wrong except voice his opinion, an opinion mind you that has had a point at times. Eli isn't a good leader, one year after Tiki questioned Coughlin's methods, Coughlin admittedly changed his methods somewhat. Tiki suggested that Coughlin might have lost the dressing room, and after the Titans game you could have made the point that it looked that way.

Bottom line is and always will be for me, for several years Tiki barber carried the fucking offense, in every way shape and form. The Giants have never had a player like him. I met Tiki on 77th st and Columbus one day and I went over and shook his hand and said thanks, and the only other guy I'd ever do that for is Rodney if I ever saw his fat ass again.

The same Giants fans who booed Tiki probably would have given LT a standing ovation. And LT is a bigger asshole off the field than Tiki will ever be.

in the grand scheme of things, Tiki Barber has done nothing wrong except voice his opinion, an opinion mind you that has had a point at times. Eli isn't a good leader, one year after Tiki questioned Coughlin's methods, Coughlin admittedly changed his methods somewhat. Tiki suggested that Coughlin might have lost the dressing room, and after the Titans game you could have made the point that it looked that way.

Bottom line is and always will be for me, for several years Tiki barber carried the fucking offense, in every way shape and form. The Giants have never had a player like him. I met Tiki on 77th st and Columbus one day and I went over and shook his hand and said thanks, and the only other guy I'd ever do that for is Rodney if I ever saw his fat ass again.

The same Giants fans who booed Tiki probably would have given LT a standing ovation. And LT is a bigger asshole off the field than Tiki will ever be.

And all this... from a guy named BOO-yah. Interesting.

Fans have a love-hate thing going with Tiki.

I think he was a great player for the Giants.....but this latest flare up is just another example of what irritates fans about this guy.

He's being honored at Giants Stadium, and with no dog in the fight (i.e., no media gig that is paying him for his opinion), he talks about how Coughlin's job is in jeopardy, and questions whether players have tuned him out.

I totally understand that comments can be taken out of context....but Tiki has something of a track record going.

Like Eli said...."unfortunate"......but entirely self-inflicted.

I give Tiki credit for being a free thinker....but when you speak, you should expect a reply.

Fans have a love-hate thing going with Tiki.

I think he was a great player for the Giants.....but this latest flare up is just another example of what irritates fans about this guy.

He's being honored at Giants Stadium, and with no dog in the fight (i.e., no media gig that is paying him for his opinion), he talks about how Coughlin's job is in jeopardy, and questions whether players have tuned him out.

I totally understand that comments can be taken out of context....but Tiki has something of a track record going.

Like Eli said...."unfortunate"......but entirely self-inflicted.

I give Tiki credit for being a free thinker....but when you speak, you should expect a reply.

Seriously though, what weight does it carry and if there is weight involved, it out weighs his career?.

Now I'm going away to eat some curds and whey.

Seriously though, what weight does it carry and if there is weight involved, it out weighs his career?.

Now I'm going away to eat some curds and whey.

I definitely think his career outweighs some of his incendiary remarks.

And if not for his kickass performance in that Redskin game, Coughlin might have been fired in 2006.

One thing is for sure....every time he makes a remark, the Giants seem to get fired up.

Technically all people should. As do I. But I seriously have no fucking clue how I even know about that - Im not even talking about using it as a handle on a MB.

Iceman was a boss from the Mega Man video games.... :rolleyes:

And from some lame ass movie about fighter pilots.... :rolleyes:

:smartass:

It is, Tiki is one of my all time favorite Giants and I think this whole back and fourth thing has been taken way out of proportion by the media.

I still love my Tiki-bear as Harooni would say.

Agree 100%. I love Tiki. I dont understand why speaking your mind is a bad thing? And he didnt say anything that wasnt true. And an organization he spent his whole career with. If anyone can be critical, its Tiki. Its not "callin out" anyone, or "throwin anyone under the bus"....its saying what needs to be said about a team he will always be a part of. If you cant handle the truth, figure out how.