SportsWrath

More WR unrest in Dallas

Treehugger

Crayton feels 'betrayed,' wants out of Dallas; team won't release him

NFL.com Wire Reports

Patrick Crayton's feelings for the Dallas Cowboys have gradually changed over the past month. Now he might be past the point of no return.

The veteran wide receiver claimed three weeks ago through his agent that he preferred to stay in Dallas. Then he said earlier this week he would only stay if there's a "true open competition." On Friday, Crayton told a Dallas radio station that he wants the Cowboys to immediately release him.

The sticking point seems to be the team's attempt to trade Crayton during last month's draft. Crayton's agent, Fred Lyles, said earlier this month that he learned about the trade talks from outside sources, and the receiver confirmed it Friday.

"It was behind my back," Crayton said on KESN-FM's Ben and Skin Show. "I just felt kind of, really, betrayed in a way. But that's the business."

The Cowboys don't intend to honor Crayton's request to be released, a team official told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora. Crayton is viewed as a valuable commodity on offense and special teams.

"We are not releasing him!" the team official wrote after being contacted about Crayton's comments.

No trades that make sense for the Cowboys have materialized, and the team isn't shopping Crayton, according to league sources.

Crayton claimed he's the Cowboys' "insurance guy" in a receiving corps that become more crowded last month after the team used its first-round draft pick on Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant. Miles Austin had a breakout 2009 season, and Roy Williams' roster spot appears secure despite his struggles. Sam Hurd and Kevin Ogletree also could be in the mix for more playing time.

Crayton, 31, said he has skipped voluntary workouts because he doesn't want to risk injury during uncertain times. However, he said he will report to a mandatory minicamp June 11-13 and doesn't plan to hold out in July training camp -- if he's still a Cowboy.

"The thing is, you want to be wanted," Crayton said. "... I'm not sure if I'm wanted or not wanted."

Crayton, who signed a four-year, $14 million contract at the end of the 2007 season, is scheduled to make $2 million in 2010. He called staying in Dallas "an uncomfortable situation," although he would honor his contract if that ends up being the case.

"At the end of the day, I don't think that's going to happen," Crayton said.

Crayton, who was born in the Dallas suburb of DeSoto, has spent his entire six-year NFL career with the Cowboys. He has 196 receptions for 2,888 yards and 23 touchdowns in his career, and he returned two punts for scores last season.

He feels betrayed and yet says he understands its a business? :rolleyes: As indicated in the bottom he is a Broke Back homer and would just about cry if he had to leave the Broke Backs. So in a way I can understand it...I am quite sure there are dozens like him who ended up playing with the home town team and been shopped. :P

He feels betrayed and yet says he understands its a business? :rolleyes: As indicated in the bottom he is a Broke Back homer and would just about cry if he had to leave the Broke Backs. So in a way I can understand it...I am quite sure there are dozens like him who ended up playing with the home town team and been shopped. :P

Not only that, he's making 2 millions dollars and he is just an above-average WR....how is that an "uncomfortable situation"? Sounds like one of those cushy government jobs to me. Money for nothing.

so now they have three wideouts who are just gonna half ass it, Roy, Crayton and Dez meanwhile, with no protection for Romo. While are three shitty wideouts have the 25th ranked QB throwing to them, they should win the division.

Hey he is a competitor and I can see his point of view in this situation. He is not in the NFL just to pickup a paycheck, he wants to contribute and warming a bench is not how he wants to spend his season

Not only that, he's making 2 millions dollars and he is just an above-average WR....how is that an "uncomfortable situation"? Sounds like one of those cushy government Raiders jobs to me. Money for nothing.

Fixed.

Hey he is a competitor and I can see his point of view in this situation. He is not in the NFL just to pickup a paycheck, he wants to contribute and warming a bench is not how he wants to spend his season

In other words, these guys don't really get how well they have it. Not to debt all their hard work to get to that point but come on. I'd give me left nut to be riding the bench on any professional sports team. Competitor or not, he isn't better than the guys ahead of him. Collect the paycheck and stfu.

Another reason why he's on an NFL team and you're on a couch watching him on tv. Life is just not about the dollar bill. When you have the passion to play the game you'll do it for peanuts.

Reminds me of the players back in the day who had jobs during the offseason to pay the bills.

In other words, these guys don't really get how well they have it. Not to debt all their hard work to get to that point but come on. I'd give me left nut to be riding the bench on any professional sports team. Competitor or not, he isn't better than the guys ahead of him. Collect the paycheck and stfu.

Another reason why he's on an NFL team and you're on a couch watching him on tv. Life is just not about the dollar bill. When you have the passion to play the game you'll do it for peanuts.

Reminds me of the players back in the day who had jobs during the offseason to pay the bills.

Apparently, you and I don't see eye to eye on that then. I don't bitch and complain when something doesn't go my way and beg to be let go when I'm not as good as someone that's ahead of me. I take my money and work harder and don't complain to other people. All I hear from Patrick Crayton is "blah blah blah, whine whine whine, you owe me, whine, blah blah blah, I'm entitled even though I'm not that good."

And I don't watch Patrick Crayton on TV. Not a Cowboys fan.

Yah right, these guys that have "the passion" would do it for peanuts. That's laughable.

You telling me you wouldn't complain when your boss hires someone to do your job and won't let you go until they are sure the new guy can take over for you? Crayton can't go find another team to play for until he is released. If the Cowboys hold on to him until the last possible minute it hurts his chances to find another team, learn their system and contribute. If he even finds another team he has to decide if he is going to move his family or just himself to wherever he is going to play next.

Like I said, its not just about the money.

The guy didn't say a word until they drafted someone that is going to take away his time on the field.

Apparently, you and I don't see eye to eye on that then. I don't bitch and complain when something doesn't go my way and beg to be let go when I'm not as good as someone that's ahead of me. I take my money and work harder and don't complain to other people. All I hear from Patrick Crayton is "blah blah blah, whine whine whine, you owe me, whine, blah blah blah, I'm entitled even though I'm not that good."

And I don't watch Patrick Crayton on TV. Not a Cowboys fan.

Yah right, these guys that have "the passion" would do it for peanuts. That's laughable.

You telling me you wouldn't complain when your boss hires someone to do your job and won't let you go until they are sure the new guy can take over for you? Crayton can't go find another team to play for until he is released. If the Cowboys hold on to him until the last possible minute it hurts his chances to find another team, learn their system and contribute. If he even finds another team he has to decide if he is going to move his family or just himself to wherever he is going to play next.

Like I said, its not just about the money.

The guy didn't say a word until they drafted someone that is going to take away his time on the field.

So at your job, when you bitch and complain and your employment with them eventually ends and you later have to indicate your place of last employment to your next potential employer, and they back check you a little bit, the bitching and complaining somehow helps you land a different job? No of course not, that hurts his chances to land on another team even more or at least just as much as the Cowboy utilizing him as special teams player and situational receiver and "refuse to let him go" (mind you HE signed the contract). Showing you have some integrity and guts and working to improve yourself instead of bitching to the team management and media that they, god forbid, are attempting to rebuild their aging receiver corps HELPS your chances of landing on a different team. Not to mention sucking it up and doing what you're asked and paid to do.

Obviously they don't think he can do the job. Plus he's old in NFL years. Dez Bryant isn't.

This is the NFL. And the process he's going through is the rebuilding of a position. What are they supposed to do? Let all their wide receivers get old and slow? It happened to Toomer and he bitched and complained, too. And it wasn't any less wrong of him, so I'm not just saying this because he's Patrick Crayton and isn't very good....

Not only that, he's making 2 millions dollars and he is just an above-average WR....how is that an "uncomfortable situation"? Sounds like one of those cushy government jobs to me. Money for nothing.

I'd say he's only an average NFL receiver. Remember, if he doesn't drop that pass against the Giants in the playoffs a few years back, then everyone would be talking about the classic Dallas vs Green Bay championship game.

I'd say he's only an average NFL receiver. Remember, if he doesn't drop that pass against the Giants in the playoffs a few years back, then everyone would be talking about the classic Dallas vs Green Bay championship game.

Thats right...and until then, Crayton had a rep for having great hands. He hasn't seemed like quite the same player since then to me.

"Man, I don't even know who Patrick Crayton is."

- Michael Strahan

Well thanks to his drop in the playoffs.. the Giants wen to win that game on their quest to the Super Bowl...

What's with all this Crayton hating?

Aside from the guy who trapped the ball on his head, he was the Giants "Superbowl team's" greatest weapon.

No one is hating on the dude.. Dallas has players with issues just like any team in the NFL... it is what it is Egg.

And welcome back.

Aside from the guy who trapped the ball on his head, he was the Giants "Superbowl team's" greatest weapon.

I agree.

Hating Patrick Crayton is like hating........Vai Sikahema

No one is hating on the dude.. Dallas has players with issues just like any team in the NFL... it is what it is Egg.

And welcome back.

Actually, I think most of are hating on him...he isn't better than the receivers they have ahead of him yet he's bitching like he is while being severely overpaid.

No, he was just being himself, Crayton was. Weapons are more like....like...like say Toomer. Remember, the guy who dusted that waste of space Roy Williams(the shitty safety, not the shitty WR) on that first drive for a TD? That and our Defense, those are weapons.

With thinking like yours, I could say safety R Williams was one of our superbowl weapons. :cool:

No, he was just being himself, Crayton was. Weapons are more like....like...like say Toomer. Remember, the guy who dusted that waste of space Roy Williams(the shitty safety, not the shitty WR) on that first drive for a TD? That and our Defense, those are weapons.

With thinking like yours, I could say safety R Williams was one of our superbowl weapons. :cool:

:LMAO: