SportsWrath

Missed the boat on Marshall

Virginia Giant

[

b]Brandon Marshall Headed To Dolphins[/b]Adam Schefter on the reported trade of Brandon Marshall to the Dolphins

Tags: NFL, Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins, Brandon MarshallLearn More » Report a bug » Feedback »

Brandon Marshall Headed To Dolphins

The Denver Broncos are trading wide receiver Brandon Marshall to the Miami Dolphins for a second-round pick in next week's NFL draft and what league sources say is an additional second-round pick in 2011.

Nice Catch For Miami?

Fifteen wide receivers have caught passes for the Dolphins the past three seasons. In that span, Brandon Marshall has more touchdowns and 100-yard games than all of them combined.

Category Marshall Miami

Receptions 307 521

Rec. yards 3,710 6,257

Rec. TDs 23 18

100-yard games 10 9

If the trade goes through, Marshall will join a Dolphins team that struggled in the passing game last season.

Category Dolphins NFL Rank (out of 32)

Receptions 331 18th

Rec. yards 3,396 21st

Rec. TDs 15 T-27th

Yards/catch 10.3 T-29th

The trade is contingent upon the league processing the paperwork and Marshall passing his physical, neither of which is expected to be an issue Wednesday.

Marshall is scheduled to fly to Miami to take his physical and, if he passes, sign what will be one of the most lucrative wide receiver deals in NFL history, according to league sources.

In return, the Broncos will get two high draft picks for a player who caused them headaches in addition to making plays.

In a little more than a year, with a pair of blockbuster trades, Denver has recouped two first-round picks, two second-round picks, a third-round pick and quarterback Kyle Orton in exchange for Jay Cutler and Marshall.

The Broncos head into next Thursday's draft armed with three picks in the first two rounds, but with a big hole to fill at wide receiver. Marshall caught 101 passes for 1,120 yards and 10 touchdowns last season. He has 327 career receptions for 4,019 yards and 25 touchdowns in four seasons, all in Denver.

The trade also shakes up things in the AFC East, as Miami will match and arguably top the deal the New York Jets made earlier this week, when they traded a fifth-round draft pick for talented but troubled Steelers recevier Santonio Holmes.

Marshall, 26, is one of the game's best young wide receivers, a mercurial talent at the position where the Dolphins needed help most. He is in the prime of his career. But like Holmes, he also brings a reputation of being difficult to handle and a record that has him one strike from a year-long suspension.

Once Marshall signed his $2.5 million tender with the Broncos Tuesday, it freed Denver to begin shopping him. Miami was hot after Marshall, as was Seattle. Tampa Bay showed some interest, and even the Jets considered making a play for Marshall before making their deal for Holmes, according to sources.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

Two seconds? Ouch

[

Two seconds? Ouch

I am sure Blunatic doesn't think so, :smartass: , and it's actually not that bad. Miami needs a good WR and no draft pick is a given but Marshall is. The Broncos and McDaniels now has a team he is building so if they crash and burn it's all on him.

I am sure Blunatic doesn't think so, :smartass: , and it's actually not that bad. Miami needs a good WR and no draft pick is a given but Marshall is. The Broncos and McDaniels now has a team he is building so if they crash and burn it's all on him.

I said ouch because thats a steal. We were arguing over wether he'd be worth the 15th overall pick plus a second or third, and Miami got him for a couple second rounders. Even if we don't need him, thats something we could have easily spared on an upper tier player at a premium position.

tis a sad day indeed-but 2 second rounders is steep. i actually think there's more value in the 2nd round than the 1st.

pretty accurate assessment. If for no other reason than the risk / reward. You have a real good shot at a quality player at about 1/2 to 1/3 less cash outlay.

2 second rounders. and a contract making him the highest paid wr in history.

from adam shefter:

Filed to ESPN: Brandon Marshall reaches agreement with Dolphins on four-year, $47.5 million extension, including $24 million guaranteed.

Marshall signed his one-year, $2.5 million tender with Denver yesterday, so it's five years in Miami for total of $50 million. Wow.

Looks like Brandon Marshall's new $50 million deal makes him the highest paid WR in NFL history. Lot to live up to this season.

For two players -- LB Karlos Dansby and WR Brandon Marshall -- Dolphins spent $93 million ($46 guaranteed) for 5 years.

This trade may help the Giants land McClain in the first. Denver, at 11, and rumored to be one of the teams interested in McClain, may now opt for Dez Bryant with their pick... their top 3 receivers right now are Jabar Gaffney, Eddie Royal, and Brandon Stokley.

Two seconds is a lot to give up. But the contract is not a big deal. They won't have to pay 30% or so after all the fines and suspensions Marshall will be levied with when he inevitably screws the team over with his immaturity.

I think this is a good move, but not sure about Marshall and that Miami nightlife, but Sparano and Parcells kept Owens in check when he was in Big D. He should be on his best behavior for the most part and I don't think he really ever did anything bad, he's just in that category with T.O were everything he does get scrutinized there are alot worst human beings then Marshall (McNabb) in the NFL, the Patriots will not make the playoffs next year Miami and the Jets are the class in that division now.

This trade may help the Giants land McClain in the first. Denver, at 11, and rumored to be one of the teams interested in McClain, may now opt for Dez Bryant with their pick... their top 3 receivers right now are Jabar Gaffney, Eddie Royal, and Brandon Stokley.

I think Dez is sliding to round 2 scouts are not loving him, and we still have Oakland,Buffalo and Cleveland that are interested in McClain, and they are all 3-4 teams were McClain would fit better. I think Demaryius Thomas is Denver's pick or they get Eric Decker in round 2

Santonio Holmes for a 5th and Marshall for 2 seconds (one of them next year)? Where was Resse when this was going on?

People may say we don't 'need' either, but if it came to light that Pittsburgh or Denver (or both for that matter) came to Reese with those deals, and he said "Thanks but no thanks, we'll go with Sinorice", there would be a beheading as the first event to open the new stadium.

Santonio Holmes for a 5th and Marshall for 2 seconds (one of them next year)? Where was Resse when this was going on?

People may say we don't 'need' either, but if it came to light that Pittsburgh or Denver (or both for that matter) came to Reese with those deals, and he said "Thanks but no thanks, we'll go with Sinorice", there would be a beheading as the first event to open the new stadium.

The thing is why would they come to the Giants? Our passing attack has been the best it has been in years. You honestly think the Pittsburgh or Denver were saying "Oh look Eli set passing records last year...so they obviously need WR help lets call them"

I dont understand this thinking of Reese better of had his hand in these WR trades, when WR is no where near any need we will possibly need in the next number of years. It would be like Colts fans saying "Oh our GM better of sent offers for McNabb"

I think this is a good move, but not sure about Marshall and that Miami nightlife, but Sparano and Parcells kept Owens in check when he was in Big D. He should be on his best behavior for the most part and I don't think he really ever did anything bad, he's just in that category with T.O were everything he does get scrutinized there are alot worst human beings then Marshall (McNabb) in the NFL, the Patriots will not make the playoffs next year Miami and the Jets are the class in that division now.

It's a joke, right?

Mc Nabb has said and done all the right things... essentially he's been a boy scout in Philly, where the fans kill and eat you if you fart in the wrong place.

Here is Marshall's criminal rap sheet... and mind you, that's just the things he's done OUTSIDE THE LAW. He's a locker-room nightmare and a pain in the ass to boot (not catching passing during camp last year? Kicking the ball, anyone? Cutting your hand while "wrestling" with your brother?)

Seriously, BigBlue? Comparing Mc Nabb to Marshall? :huh:

The thing is why would they come to the Giants? Our passing attack has been the best it has been in years. You honestly think the Pittsburgh or Denver were saying "Oh look Eli set passing records last year...so they obviously need WR help lets call them"

I dont understand this thinking of Reese better of had his hand in these WR trades, when WR is no where near any need we will possibly need in the next number of years. It would be like Colts fans saying "Oh our GM better of sent offers for McNabb"

I know there was the infamous Brandon Marshall thread, so I'm not going to dig up the "why's" of the benefits of signing him. But you can't deny if he was offered to us for 2 second round picks, that we should have grabbed him. That's cheap, you can't question that. The contract is a different matter, but the picks.....a 30 overall for Marshall? That's insane. I wasn't criticizing Reese, I was saying that IF it was found out that we were in the mix and passed on it, fans would go nuts.

You can't compare going after McNabb when they've got Peyton, to going after Marshall when we've got Smith. Smith's very good, but Marshall is better.

tis a sad day indeed-but 2 second rounders is steep. i actually think there's more value in the 2nd round than the 1st.

I agree with the first part of your statement.. the "tis a sad day indeed" yada yada.. but the 2nd part is a curve ball.. i mean.. if the 2nd is better than the first, shouldn't it be first? Just sayin' :blink:

I agree with the first part of your statement.. the "tis a sad day indeed" yada yada.. but the 2nd part is a curve ball.. i mean.. if the 2nd is better than the first, shouldn't it be first? Just sayin' :blink:

nothin new here- just waiting for the draft.