SportsWrath

Shockey Still Has "Bitter Taste"

Mr. P

alg_sean_payton.jpg

Ex-New York Giant Jeremy Shockey speaking out with New Orleans Saints

Jeremy Shockey will likely celebrate his first catch against the Giants this weekend with fist-pumping, finger-pointing and all the assorted trash-talking and showboating that became his trademark in the six years he played here.

Shockey was a cult hero when he arrived in 2002 with the long blond hair, the big plays and runaway mouth. But over the years, he transitioned from game-changer and one of Wellington Mara's favorites to tight end diva and a royal pain to management.

It is no coincidence that the Giants went on their magical Super Bowl run in 2007, and Eli Manning became a better player, after Shockey broke his leg in the 14th game that season against the Redskins.

It's almost as if a burden was lifted from Manning when Shockey was no longer around complaining about not getting the ball, although obviously nobody wanted to see him get injured and his teammates hurt for him when he missed the Super Bowl.

Still, it was not good for the QB's confidence when Shockey would throw a fit after Manning would bounce one at his feet or sail one over his head. The antics had grown old and tired.

Shockey gets his shot at revenge when the undefeated Saints and Giants meet Sunday in the Superdome. The defense should expect plenty of yapping from him. The Giants were thrilled to dump Shockey, who had become a divisive malcontent, and Saints coach Sean Payton, his offensive coordinator with the Giants in his rookie year, was glad to hand over second- and fifth-round picks right before training camp in 2008.

Shockey had been one of the faces of the franchise. But whether it was a bruised ego when the Giants won the Super Bowl without him or a feeling he was disrespected by management or money, it was clear his act had grown stale in New York and he forced his way out of town.

Shockey told the New Orleans Times-Picayune in yesterday's editions that he had a "bitter taste in my mouth," from his Giants days. "It's just something that if you cross me once - it's hard enough to gain my trust as it is - and if you lie to me and if you say something behind closed doors between that person and myself ...

"I needed change in my life," he said.

He had a blowup with GM Jerry Reese during a minicamp in June of '08 and that made it impossible for him to return. He is happy and healthy in New Orleans after he was injured for much of last season, playing in 11 games and catching 50 passes with no TDs. In the Saints' 4-0 start, he leads the Saints with 18 catches and also has two touchdowns. He is the third receiving option for Drew Brees after Marques Colston and Reggie Bush.

Ten days ago against the Jets, he had four catches for 34 yards and looked like an afterthought in the offense. The Giants know he will be motivated against them.

"Yeah, I am sure he is excited for the game," Manning said. "I think he gets excited for every game. I am sure he will be ready to play."

Manning doesn't think Shockey's absence took the pressure off him as the Giants began their Super Bowl run. "Shockey was and is a tremendous player, a great talent and a great teammate of mine for a number of years," he said. "He scored a lot of touchdowns, made a lot of big plays for us. When he got hurt, we struggled for some time without him."

Manning was just being kind. In Shockey's final game as a Giant, Manning was a dreadful 18-of-52 for 184 yards in a 22-10 loss to Washington on a windy day at Giants Stadium. The next week they scored 38 points in rain and snow to beat the Bills, then scored 35 in the loss to the Patriots in the final game of the regular season. The Giants followed that up by winning three NFC playoff games on the road and then beat New England in the Super Bowl.

"Going to the Pro Bowl four out of six years is a very big accomplishment and I was expecting a little more respect than I was receiving," Shockey said.

Shockey will try to put on a show Sunday. It will be up to the Giants' defense to shut him up.

Source: NY Daily News

"It is no coincidence that the Giants went on their magical Super Bowl run in 2007, and Eli Manning became a better player, after Shockey broke his leg in the 14th game that season against the Redskins."

Bullshit, that's the very definition of a coincidence. Shockey didn't make Eli worse.

"It is no coincidence that the Giants went on their magical Super Bowl run in 2007, and Eli Manning became a better player, after Shockey broke his leg in the 14th game that season against the Redskins."

Bullshit, that's the very definition of a coincidence. Shockey didn't make Eli worse.

THe chain of events that made the Giants a better team were:

Tiki Retiring

Shockey leaving

Plax getting arrested

This is no disrespect to Plax but Eli's personality is to lead with a more reserve focus and

not be pressured to throw the ball to whinnning me players. Eli simple puts the ball where the

defense lets him and therefore he blocks out a players number. Its only after the play is over that

he correlates the player with the number with the face.

It seems to work very well for him. Go Eli !!

Yah, I don't know how much correlation you can draw from that...losing your starting tight end certainly doesn't make the team BETTER...

Fuck Jeremy Shockey. His act was tired from day one.

Shit, he's such a douche that New Orleans almost cut him in the offseason because he was so universally hated in the locker room.

I'll take our combined win percentage without him the past two years than the win percentage with him any day.

I'm not so sure, but I wouldn't phrase it quite like that anyway...its more like losing Shockey made Eli better.

There was a time when we all were excited about Shockey but his antics made him less popular over the years. Whether his absence made Eli better is a matter of opinion that can't be proved or disproved. The Giants as an organization are better with low key blue collar performers... like Boss and Steve Smith. It is what it is.

a classic loudmouth, not a classy guy. Many no name teams are the best. We are a unit, he is an island.

I admired his pluck, but Shockey is and always was a divisive force for us, the opponents, etc. The problem is that he believes that he is the center of the thing.

I thank him for some big plays and I regret that he dropped some very catchable balls (like in SF) and that I own a Shockey jersey that I should have shipped to a third world country.

regardless of coincidence or not, we went on a superbowl run after he went down. I wouldn't change a thing.

Even if he has a good game against the Giants, there is nothing he can do to top what we did without him unless he goes to an AFC team and beats us in the superbowl when we are about to go undefeated for the season. Good luck with that one Jeremy.

Shockey's Revisionist History:

Former Giants TE Jeremy Shockey has repeatedly said he was disrespected by the Giants by being asked to watch Super Bowl XLII from a luxury box, not the sideline. He apparently referenced it again the other day to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

Well, not to burst his revenge bubble, but apparently all the injured players were asked to do the same thing.

“We were all on the field and then we were asked to go upstairs,” said DE Mathias Kiwanuka, who was out with a broken leg. “He did his job, did his duty to the team and did what he was asked to do. … We were on the field at the beginning and then asked to go upstairs; we just didn’t listen.”

Kiwanuka then laughed and said, “I just got myself in trouble, but…”

The difference was Shockey was on crutches while Kiwanuka, RB Derrick Ward, S Craig Dahl and others were walking around. Plus, there’s the issue with Shockey’s huge profile.

“Everybody knows where Shockey is at all times,” Kiwanuka said, adding: “I got away with one.”

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/10/ny_giants_linebacker_bryan_keh_1.html

I am bitter too,

For his missed OTA's

Always Injured

And his Drops.

I was one of the biggest Shockey haters on this board for years. I was sick of the me first attitude, sick of the drops, sick of the failure to play to the ball every down, and sick of just about everything about Jeremy Shockey. I was LIVID when the Saints gave up those picks for him. I must say though, that he seems to be a totally different person in this system. He participated in all the voluntary offseason practices, took extra time after practices to work one on one with Brees, and has kept his big mouth shut for the most part. Last year he caught an attitude with Brees during the Chargers game in England and Brees got right in his face and told him to shut the fuck up or he would not throw one more pass to him for the rest of the year. Shockey has quietly been having a solid season this year, and is our leads the team in receptions so far this year, and has managed to stay healthy so far. He will never put up the numbers he did in NY simply because we spread the ball around too much, but so far he has been a model player. I am still waiting for a blowup, or injury though.

If anyone thinks Eli got better because

Schockey left your buying into the propaganda the Post and News started. That and your a moron. :jerkoff:

Its not absurd at all, I've seen similar scenarios time and time again...fact is, when someone has to learn to make do with less, the added challenge often leads to improvement.

So yes, losing Shockey would almost by default lead to Eli becoming a better player. But the change wouldn't be overnight, and it wouldn't necessarily make the team better, which is where I think the media failed to make a clear distinction.

I was one of the biggest Shockey haters on this board for years. I was sick of the me first attitude, sick of the drops, sick of the failure to play to the ball every down, and sick of just about everything about Jeremy Shockey. I was LIVID when the Saints gave up those picks for him. I must say though, that he seems to be a totally different person in this system. He participated in all the voluntary offseason practices, took extra time after practices to work one on one with Brees, and has kept his big mouth shut for the most part. Last year he caught an attitude with Brees during the Chargers game in England and Brees got right in his face and told him to shut the fuck up or he would not throw one more pass to him for the rest of the year. Shockey has quietly been having a solid season this year, and is our leads the team in receptions so far this year, and has managed to stay healthy so far. He will never put up the numbers he did in NY simply because we spread the ball around too much, but so far he has been a model player. I am still waiting for a blowup, or injury though.

And Shockey's got the bitter taste? Sounds like he's learned his lesson...

Its not absurd at all, I've seen similar scenarios time and time again...fact is, when someone has to learn to make do with less, the added challenge often leads to improvement.

So yes, losing Shockey would almost by default lead to Eli becoming a better player. But the change wouldn't be overnight, and it wouldn't necessarily make the team better, which is where I think the media failed to make a clear distinction.

The link they miss is it took losing Shockey for Gilbride to make offensive adjustments.