SportsWrath

Super Bowl hero now in fight for spot on Giants' roster

BlueInCanada

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story?id=0...mp;confirm=true

Article has a really good video with it as well.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - David Tyree has learned that fame is fleeting.

Not too long ago, he was one of the most recognizable sports figures in the country, having made arguably the most spectacular catch in Super Bowl history on the New York Giants' game-winning drive over previously unbeaten New England. Now, he rarely bumps into anyone who doesn't ask what team he is playing for, or if he's still in the NFL.

NFL.com is following five players who enter their respective training camps hoping to be one of their team's 53. Here are their stories as they strive to hold on to their NFL dreams. Go inside the series.

The Players:

Monday: Ian Johnson, RB, Vikings

» Fiesta Bowl hero now undrafted free agent

Tuesday: Coy Wire, LB, Falcons

» Working hard to keep NFL dream alive

Wednesday: David Tyree, WR, Giants

» Super Bowl hero now in fight for roster spot

Thursday: Boomer Grigsby, FB, Texans

Friday: Lance Long, WR, Cardinals

As he prepares for the start of training camp next week with the New York Giants -- yes, he's still with the Giants -- his future in the NFL is in question. Eighteen months after one of the greatest moments in the team's history and coming off an entire season on injured reserve, Tyree suddenly finds himself on the fringes of the team's roster, in a fight with much younger guys that have a fraction of his NFL experience -- some with none at all -- for one of the Giants' final wide receiver jobs.

Tyree, 29, re-joins a roster that is now without Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer. On the surface, it looks like a prime opportunity to fill a void he missed on last season. The offseason has been filled with speculation as to how the Giants are going to replace Burress and Toomer, and Tyree seems like a good fit to help offset their departures in some way.

Yet, he never hears his name mentioned as part of the solution. Truth be told, he rarely hears his name anymore, period.

That's why he recently went on Facebook to let people know he's still with the Giants.

"I got cut by the fans," he says smiling.

He doesn't fault people for their Tyree-amnesia. He hasn't been in a Giants' uniform since Super Bowl XLII. Even Burress took more snaps for the Giants in 2008. A freak offseason knee injury and the recurring hamstring problems that accompanied it landed Tyree on injured reserve at a time when the Giants could have used his special-teams prowess and his help at wide receiver. Burress missed much of the season after accidentally shooting himself in the leg and being suspended by the team, and Toomer, in his 13th season, saw his role reduced.

Photo gallery

» Five players 'On The Fringe'

» NFL.com's complete photo archive

Compounding the wide-ranging emotions that came along with not being able to play was the secret Tyree kept as to how he shredded the fibers in his right meniscus.

"It was the beginning of the offseason program in March and I was just getting back into the flow of things," he said. "I go to lotion up and I bent my body (awkwardly) to pick up my lotion, and my knee locked up. I couldn't straighten it out."

Tyree eventually was able to straighten the knee, but felt a "pop" when he did so. The extent of the injury was revealed shortly thereafter in an MRI exam. The freak injury had thwarted his Super Bowl momentum.

"I'm a particular man of faith, and I really felt like God did something great in my life -- not about me -- but he put something great in my life," Tyree said about the XLII catch. "Then to have it snatched away at a whim. At first it was a raw taste of humility to get you to understand how short-lived some moments can be, even though it's had a tremendous impact.

"My greatest desire was not to be defined by one moment. I still feel the catch was more the beginning of something than the end of something. That's what I am anxious about this year."

The Giants open camp on Monday with a roster stockpiled with young wide receivers acquired over the past few years, including Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Dominik Hixon, Sinorice Moss and two rookies -- Hakeem Nicks (first round) and Ramses Barden (third round). Tyree views the situation more as an opportunity than a challenge.

"If I'm not salivating at the mouth because of the way things look then I'm in the wrong business," he said. "It's wide open. I like starting in a pit, and I'm going to dig my way out. And when I'm free, I'm going to run with it."

The numbers don't seem to be in his favor, but they rarely have. Despite Tyree's Super Bowl heroics, he always has earned his NFL keep on special teams, where he earned Pro Bowl honors in 2005. In five NFL seasons, he has just 54 regular-season receptions and four touchdowns. The former sixth-round selection from Syracuse wants to make his mark catching the ball, but he also knows he has to earn his keep as an aggressive, sound, anchor in the kicking game.

David Tyree, WR

New York Giants

Height: 6-0 Weight: 206

College: Syracuse

Experience: 6th season

"My rookie year, it was a numbers thing: 'They're going to keep five, maybe six, wide receivers. They got that guy locked in. I've got to put every ounce into my performance every day and let the chips fall where they may. Special team is the reason why I got to this league. I've recognized it as my bread and butter. If there's ever been a close competition -- there always is -- that's my edge."

Tyree is well aware of his predicament. His amazing catch in Arizona 18 months ago isn't going to grant him another shot. Diligence, good health, hard work and some lucky breaks will. And while he said he'll always be known for that catch, simply running into Giants Stadium in uniform will be equally as rewarding.

"It's not like I can say I'm going to do something better; can't guarantee that," Tyree said of his Super Bowl heroics. "I've had moments where I felt like just grabbing a photo of the catch and burning it. I feel like I've added much more. That's a great, climactic moment.

"There's only one thing I visualize, and that's running out the tunnel at the home opener. I'm a Jersey boy, and it's been a great six years. I know there's folks rooting for me, I know there's folks that's saying, 'He's in the can.' It's going to mean that much more to me to run out of the tunnel again as a New York Giant."

Good luck Tyree.

This man will not be cut........won't happen

He's too valuable in many areas

Adios Tyree

I told you once Jack , I'll tell you again. Tyree will be the first cut from the WR corps .

his value ended In February two years ago

Adios Tyree

I told you once Jack , I'll tell you again. Tyree will be the first cut from the WR corps .

Mark my words he'll be on the final roster, and will be a solid WR who will get his chances

Besides the NY DA just opened up a solid roster spot for us.........do they allow air horns on Rikers Island???? or do you have to hand over your air horn before the cavity search?

i too think tyree is on the final roster

and jack is trying to make this tyree thread about pierce.

Tyree epitomizes what it means to be a NY Giant.....the guy is a WINNER.............air horn epitomizes pass interference, soft tackles, late hits and incomprehensible behavior

If it comes down to one of these guys you know who I want on the team

Holy cow I agree with Jack. Tyree will make this team. Not because the Giants are going to carry 7 WR's on the 53 man roster, either. If it's not Tyree, someone else will start the year on PUP so Tyree is in uniform week 1. I can't think of one time where Tyree came out on the field and didn't make plays. When he gets his opportunities, the guy delivers. And he is the best Special Teamer we have, and I'm including DeOssie in that. DeOssie and Tyree on the same Specials unit? That will be great.

I think the Giants don't want to cut any of their top 7 wideouts. One thing to watch is the health of Moss and the other receivers. You have a strained hammy... automatic PUP unless your name is Nicks or Smith, maybe Hixon. Somehow, some way this team will keep Tyree, even if that means carrying 7 wide receivers which I don't think is likely to happen.

<!--quoteo(post=487579:date=Jul 29 2009, 06:38 PM:name=JackStroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JackStroud @ Jul 29 2009, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=487579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This man will not be cut........won't happen

He's too valuable in many areas<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Adios Tyree

That's a bit harsh, Lug. The dude isn't just a WR, he's pretty good on Special Teams. Besides it's not like he's demanding a contract. I sure hope there's a spot for him.

I think the Giants would be making a mistake letting him go. I'd put Ramses Barden on the practice squad this year and get him ready for next before cutting Tyree.

I think the wild card in all this is.................Terrell Thomas. Why?. Because Thomas was great on special teams last season in the same sort of slot Tyree held. If the Giants think they've got a replacement for Tyree on ST, then the one edge Tyree had on everyone else is gone making him way more vunerable.

If it comes down to Moss or Tyree, I think Tyree sticks. I was a little worried about Moss sticking, but the only thing you can depend on with Moss is an injury. He didn't let me down during minicamp.

You're never going to get a 1,000 yds/season from Tyree; but you will get that one needed reception that seems to come from nowhere. And top-notch special teams play, which is what he was primarily drafted to do.

If Moss doesn't make one of the top 3 positions at wide receiver, I can't see him staying.

If it comes down to Moss or Tyree, I think Tyree sticks. I was a little worried about Moss sticking, but the only thing you can depend on with Moss is an injury. He didn't let me down during minicamp.

You're never going to get a 1,000 yds/season from Tyree; but you will get that one needed reception that seems to come from nowhere. And top-notch special teams play, which is what he was primarily drafted to do.

If Moss doesn't make one of the top 3 positions at wide receiver, I can't see him staying.

Actually Tyree was in at WR quite a bit during the SB run (the coaches were showing more and more faith in him), and the SB itself and made one other notable end zone TD catch..........where are the brains located on your anatomy that comes up with this stuff?

Why do you think he was on the playing field for the Immaculate Reception...........he wandered out there by mistake?????????

Actually Tyree was in at WR quite a bit during the SB run (the coaches were showing more and more faith in him), and the SB itself and made one other notable end zone TD catch..........where are the brains located on your anatomy that comes up with this stuff?

Why do you think he was on the playing field for the Immaculate Reception...........he wandered out there by mistake?????????

Your reading comprehension is horrible Jack. That's not what Fishy said. Let's read it again:

"You're never going to get a 1,000 yds/season from Tyree; but you will get that one needed reception that seems to come from nowhere."

:LMAO:

The bifocals are a bitch, aren't they, Jack?

Well, I'm not sure...was he a member of the Raiders or Steelers back then?

If you're talking about our SB, maybe the coaches think of Tyree the same way I do?

So non Tyree related yet relevant still is the Giants waived Michael Rucker. You might remember him from a few months ago when a number of you jumped on the bandwagon and heralded him as the next great Giants wide receiver.

David Tyree fights for a roster spot every year; he keeps winning those battles. If the choice at the beginning of the season is between mini camp king Sinorice Moss who might make it through a training camp this year and Tyree... Well the edge still belongs to Tyree. David Tyree is clutch and easily our best special teamer under 40.

So non Tyree related yet relevant still is the Giants waived Michael Rucker. You might remember him from a few months ago when a number of you jumped on the bandwagon and heralded him as the next great Giants wide receiver.

David Tyree fights for a roster spot every year; he keeps winning those battles. If the choice at the beginning of the season is between mini camp king Sinorice Moss who might make it through a training camp this year and Tyree... Well the edge still belongs to Tyree. David Tyree is clutch and easily our best special teamer under 40.

good God , I actually agree with you for once

Tyree and Biddle or Hagen to the Ravens for Prescott Burgess

Derrick Mason just retired a week or so ago. Mark Clayton is their only real threat.

Also Not knowing what looms for pierce we would be smart to pick up another LBer

Tyree and Biddle or Hagen to the Ravens for Prescott Burgess

Derrick Mason just retired a week or so ago. Mark Clayton is their only real threat.

Also Not knowing what looms for pierce we would be smart to pick up another LBer

I don't get it Lughead

Tyree is a WINNER........he always does something exciting on the field.......these are the kinds of people you want........ not get rid of

Years ago the Packers had Max McGee.........Max practiced poorly and was never considered for the Pro Bowl (I believe Tyree has made the Pro Bowl on specials)

He was simply a winner on Sundays.......especially in critical situations

Some guys wilt under game pressure.......some raise their level of intensity

Once Tyree gets his hands on a football its not going anywhere.......once he targets someone on KOs they are going down......Blackburn also has this knack on specials

How many times have we had KO's returned in our faces.......these are moments you want to banish. They can turn games around on you

I agree we need another LBer but not at the expense of one our hallmark players

I don't get it Lughead

Tyree is a WINNER........he always does something exciting on the field.......these are the kinds of people you want........ not get rid of

Years ago the Packers had Max McGee.........Max practiced poorly and was never considered for the Pro Bowl (I believe Tyree has made the Pro Bowl on specials)

He was simply a winner on Sundays.......especially in critical situations

Some guys wilt under game pressure.......some raise their level of intensity

Once Tyree gets his hands on a football its not going anywhere.......once he targets someone on KOs they are going down......Blackburn also has this knack on specials

How many times have we had KO's returned in our faces.......these are moments you want to banish. They can turn games around on you

I agree we need another LBer but not at the expense of one our hallmark players

Tyree WAS good on Special teams I agree that he WAS. Other than the Superbowl Catch Name a memorable catch he has had ? Maybe He Did have one in Green Bay that -10 degree night. Oh no that was a dump off 4 yard catch just before the 2 minute warning at the end of the game.

but now its time to move on he is 29 had to have Knee surgery and had 2 bad hamstrings . We do not need an aging , injured WR who has been displaced as Special teamer and quite frankly a WR .

Let me Break it down for you Jak

2003 Tyrees 1st year

16 receptions 211 yards 0 TDs. On ST 16 Solo tackles 1 assist

10 receptions 155 yards 1 TD. On ST 13 Solo tackles 1 Assist

5 receptions 52 yards 1 TD. On ST 13 Solo tackles 3 Assist

19 receptions 197 yards 2 TDs . On ST 13 Solo tackles 2 Assist

4 receptions 35 yards 0 TDs . On ST 7 Solo tackles 2 Assist

-- -- --- ---

Now Tyree IS a stand up Guy and I like him and his personality But football Is a business not a love affair . There are way to many younger and bigger WR's on the team now and Tyree wont make it ,it's just the way the football will bounce .

Tyree's Career Stats

Tyree WAS good on Special teams I agree that he WAS. Other than the Superbowl Catch Name a memorable catch he has had ? Maybe He Did have one in Green Bay that -10 degree night. Oh no that was a dump off 4 yard catch just before the 2 minute warning at the end of the game.

but now its time to move on he is 29 had to have Knee surgery and had 2 bad hamstrings . We do not need an aging , injured WR who has been displaced as Special teamer and quite frankly a WR .

Let me Break it down for you Jak

2003 Tyrees 1st year

16 receptions 211 yards 0 TDs. On ST 16 Solo tackles 1 assist

10 receptions 155 yards 1 TD. On ST 13 Solo tackles 1 Assist

5 receptions 52 yards 1 TD. On ST 13 Solo tackles 3 Assist

19 receptions 197 yards 2 TDs . On ST 13 Solo tackles 2 Assist

4 receptions 35 yards 0 TDs . On ST 7 Solo tackles 2 Assist

-- -- --- ---

Now Tyree IS a stand up Guy and I like him and his personality But football Is a business not a love affair . There are way to many younger and bigger WR's on the team now and Tyree wont make it ,it's just the way the football will bounce .

Tyree's Career Stats

If you're going off of just stats, Lug, then you can't say he looks great. But what others and myself are looking at is that in those moments when he has gotten on the field, which has been few and far between, the guy has come up with big catches. He doesn't have the big numbers because he's not on the field long enough to accumulate them. But he makes plays when he is out there. You said other than the Super Bowl catch name another memorable catch he has had. Well, if you remember, he also had a touchdown in that game as well, which is often overlooked. Out of his three catches in SuperBowl 42, he managed to score one of two touchdowns in the game, and set the other one up with a catch that was all about wanting it more. That is not the kind of football player you cut in favor of Sinorice Moss, who despite being fast, contributes little on Special Teams and can't stay on the field.

Tyree IS a winner. If Sinorice makes the team ahead of him, how much is he realistically going to contribute in the passing game? I can tell you, not much. Nicks, Smith, and Hixon will all be ahead of him and all we get more receptions, and Manningham might also. So what good is your 4th or 5th WR unless he contributes on Special Teams? And here you have Tyree, who is an OUTSTANDING special teamer, but you're going to cut him in favor of Moss, who isn't tackling anyone and probably isn't going to return you kicks, either? Sounds foolish to me.

I think this conversation is moot because I don't think Moss will even be healthy at the start of the season.

Lug, what your stats don't show are the number of times it was Tyree that downed a Feagle's punt within the 5-yard line. He seems to do that with more consistency than anyone I've ever seen, and I'd argue that doing that is more important than getting a solo tackle on ST.

If you're going off of just stats, Lug, then you can't say he looks great. But what others and myself are looking at is that in those moments when he has gotten on the field, which has been few and far between, the guy has come up with big catches. He doesn't have the big numbers because he's not on the field long enough to accumulate them. But he makes plays when he is out there. You said other than the Super Bowl catch name another memorable catch he has had. Well, if you remember, he also had a touchdown in that game as well, which is often overlooked. Out of his three catches in SuperBowl 42, he managed to score one of two touchdowns in the game, and set the other one up with a catch that was all about wanting it more. That is not the kind of football player you cut in favor of Sinorice Moss, who despite being fast, contributes little on Special Teams and can't stay on the field.

Tyree IS a winner. If Sinorice makes the team ahead of him, how much is he realistically going to contribute in the passing game? I can tell you, not much. Nicks, Smith, and Hixon will all be ahead of him and all we get more receptions, and Manningham might also. So what good is your 4th or 5th WR unless he contributes on Special Teams? And here you have Tyree, who is an OUTSTANDING special teamer, but you're going to cut him in favor of Moss, who isn't tackling anyone and probably isn't going to return you kicks, either? Sounds foolish to me.

I think this conversation is moot because I don't think Moss will even be healthy at the start of the season.

But what others and myself are looking at is that in those moments when he has gotten on the field, which has been few and far between

I under stand where you guys are coming from . But I don't think you can see where I am coming from.

the guy has come up with big catches.

1 Superbowl TD and the greatest catch in SB history other than that name another. All of his other 52 career catches where run of the mill game play. I don't recall anything spectacular .

I believe it will come down to Moss or Tyree one will stay one will go and I think it will be Tyree based on age and injury . and the fact he would have more trade value than moss well unless the Giants talk to the redskins . Moss was tearing it up in practice .

I was wrong when I said Tyree would be the first cut seems it was Rucker