SportsWrath

Keyshawn has a few words for WR's in the league

Tempest

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...tml?eref=si_nfl

A couple weeks back, when I wrote a story about how NFL receivers have dominated the news, one potential source I tried to reach was Keyshawn Johnson. As it turned out, Johnson called me back after I had already finished the piece, but that doesn't mean he didn't have anything interesting to say about the state of the NFL's diva position. No surprise there, as Johnson has been speaking his mind entertainingly since the moment he joined the NFL.

"I know this much,'' Johnson told me. "Back in 1996, I was drafted No. 1 overall [by the Jets]. I was the queen of the ball, the princess, whatever. And all those guys have come after me. I wrote the book on diva receivers. Truly, when you break it all down, I'm the first guy in the last 15 years of receivers who did all that stuff. I threw my helmet to the ground when no one was doing that. I slammed my helmet to the ground and then they changed the rules banning that.''

But Johnson had the good fortune to be drafted and play under Jets head coach Bill Parcells early in his career, and in time, the Tuna taught him how to be a team player even if he never lost his individuality or his penchant for drawing attention to himself at the game's most diva-heavy position.

"It took me two years to figure that out,'' Johnson said. "But eventually I had to admit to myself: 'You had fun with that act for a couple years, kid. But let it go. Now it's time to be a professional, have fun, make money and win games.'''

Johnson said he hasn't been closely following all the offseason storylines involving high-profile receivers this year, but he didn't hold back when I referenced Brandon Marshall's recent request to be traded from Denver.

"Brandon Marshall, what have you ever done?'' Johnson said. "You went to one Pro Bowl, maybe two. You caught a bunch of balls because they threw them to you. Have you even won a playoff game yet? Guys like me and Michael Irvin, we all won rings. Win a ring first and then talk that way.

"He says he doesn't want to play in Denver because he doesn't have a quarterback now that Jay Cutler is in Chicago. Please. When I was with the Jets, our starting quarterbacks were Ray Lucas, Frank Reich, Neil O'Donnell, Glenn Foley, Rick Mirer and Vinny Testaverde. And he's complaining about having to play with Kyle Orton? You should worry about making your quarterback better.''

Johnson serves as an ESPN analyst during the NFL season, and this offseason has been devoting his energies to his new show about decorating on the A&E network: Tackling Design. His opinions apparently never get rusty, no matter what time of year it is.

"I keep seeing where Anquan Boldin wants to be traded from Arizona, or he wants to be paid like Larry Fitzgerald,'' Johnson said. "Anquan, you're a glorified T.J. Houshmandzadeh, so cut it out. They're the same player. You want $11 million? Why don't you take the $8 million they're offering and be happy? You're not Larry Fitzgerald.''

C'mon, Key. Tell us what you really think. Don't hold back.

People may not remember this but midway thru the season, before he broke his jaw, anquan was the freakin man and larry was #2 . media perception- don't buy into it.

secondly a glorified T.J. Houshmandzadeh is much better than meshawn ever was and he was pretty good.

People may not remember this but midway thru the season, before he broke his jaw, anquan was the freakin man and larry was #2 . media perception- don't buy into it.

secondly a glorified T.J. Houshmandzadeh is much better than meshawn ever was and he was pretty good.

Exactly, a "glorified TJ Houshmandzadeh," is 1. Ten times better than Keyshawn Johnson at any point in his career an 2. Better than about 90% of the WRs in the league.

I think Keyshawn made quite a good point...

Shut up and play.

I don't recall him pulling the crap these guys are.

I believe Marshall is quite a way from pulling the stunt he is.

I think Keyshawn made quite a good point...

Shut up and play.

I don't recall him pulling the crap these guys are.

I believe Marshall is quite a way from pulling the stunt he is.

You don't remember his 'Give me the damn Ball' book?

Unlike some here, I was a Keyshawn supporter. He was totally misused as a Jet. Running over the middle and getting clobbered when he was a downfield reciever in college. Furthermore he's right about the QB thing, The Jets QB's sucked ass when he was there. I was at a Jets game one time and watched then throw 6-7 yards out routes to him and overthrow him. Screen passes too. You didn't see Brad Johnson doing that to him in Tampa.

However, he's just too much talk now. If Keyshawn was in Boldin's shoes now, he'd be squawking also, and much louder too. If he was so annoyed about have to play opposite Chrebet, then imagine him opposite Fitzgerald. He'd be demanding a trade.

He comes off as just bitter now.

I think he makes several good points actually.

So do I. These receivers need to shut the fuck up and play ball.

True... but who the fuck is Keyshawn Johnson... o, He of the ONE Super Bowl Ring and Three Pro Bowl Appearances... to give advice to loudmouth receivers?

It'd be like Deion Sanders speaking out against end zone celebrations. Gimme a fucking break.

I agree with the fact that Anquan was the man prior to him breaking his jaw... but, Larry Fitzgerald is still a better wide receiver... Larry was only a #2 stat-wise. One could argue that Anquan was able to put up those gaudy numbers because of the constant double teams required by Larry.

Anquan is a stud, don't get me wrong... but Larry is one of the top receivers in the NFL along with Andre Johnson and probably Calvin Johnson.

Brandon Marshall is close... but he should still shut his mouth, as Keyshawn is saying, because Brandon, given his rap sheet, is lucky to have a job... and he could still screw that up and nobody would be surprised. He needs to concentrate on being a good citizen and help Kyle Orton and that offense. Kyle Orton is a developing quarterback that I believe is getting better, and I'm willing to bet that Denver comes out as a HUGE winner in that Cutler trade.

I agree with the fact that Anquan was the man prior to him breaking his jaw... but, Larry Fitzgerald is still a better wide receiver... Larry was only a #2 stat-wise. One could argue that Anquan was able to put up those gaudy numbers because of the constant double teams required by Larry.

Anquan is a stud, don't get me wrong... but Larry is one of the top receivers in the NFL along with Andre Johnson and probably Calvin Johnson.

Brandon Marshall is close... but he should still shut his mouth, as Keyshawn is saying, because Brandon, given his rap sheet, is lucky to have a job... and he could still screw that up and nobody would be surprised. He needs to concentrate on being a good citizen and help Kyle Orton and that offense. Kyle Orton is a developing quarterback that I believe is getting better, and I'm willing to bet that Denver comes out as a HUGE winner in that Cutler trade.

point is they are both better players and teammates than Keyshawn. And Marshall was mis-diagnosed by the Denver doctors- either that or they knew he needed surgery but didn't tell him- that happens, you know- anyway his beef is not about Cutler.