SportsWrath

$20 million per season

Tempest

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...ant_payday.html

Quarterback Eli Manning aiming high in quest for next Giant payday

BY Ralph Vacchiano

dAILY news sports writer

Friday, June 19th 2009, 6:01 AM

Eli Manning is still in line to get one of the most lucrative contracts in NFL history. He is just going to have to wait a little longer than expected.

Manning and the Giants remain far apart in their negotiations on a new deal, according to two NFL sources with knowledge of the talks. Nobody is panicking, even though 2009 is the last year of Manning's rookie contract, and both sides expect a deal will eventually get done.

But they had originally hoped to do it this spring, with the Giants prepared to make Manning one of the NFL's richest players. According to one source, Manning's agents "want to make him the highest-paid player." Another source suggested the Super Bowl XLII MVP's initial asking price was up near an average of $20 million per year.

Neither Manning nor co-owner John Mara would discuss details when asked during Giants minicamp this week. And when Manning, whose original six-year deal was worth $45 million to $54 million, was asked if he wanted to be the NFL's highest-paid player, he said, "I don't have an ego about that.

"I'll leave it to my agent and the Giants," Manning said. "They'll figure out all the details. My job is to prepare, get this team ready and let everything else play itself out."

Though $20 million per year might be too high, league sources expect Manning - who will make $9.4 million this season - eventually will get a deal worth around $15 million per year. Several league executives and NFL agents expect the final package to be for seven or eight years and be worth around $110 million-$120 million, with more than $40 million in guaranteed money.

The largest contract in NFL history was the 10-year, $130 million deal (with $37 million in guarantees) the Atlanta Falcons gave Michael Vick in 2003. The seven-year, $98 million contract Peyton Manning got in 2004 averaged $14 million per season, which was an NFL high until this spring when the Oakland Raiders signed cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha to a complicated, three-year, $45 million deal that could average $15 million per.

The Giants know the price will be high, but they have no intention of letting Manning hit free agency. Even if he plays out his contract, they likely would place the franchise tag on him next March to prevent him from going anyplace.

"Obviously we want him to spend the rest of his career here, and we'll reach an agreement in due time," Mara said. "But I can't guess when that will be."

Manning couldn't guess either, but he said the timing doesn't matter.

"I signed a six-year deal and I have one more year," Manning said. "Something could happen before the season starts, but I'm not worried about it right now. I hope (it'll get done). I've had a great five years here. I love the organization, I love my teammates. I hope they feel the same way. But we'll see. You never know."

PRICE IS WRIGHT: CB DeAndre Wright, the Giants' sixth-round pick, agreed to a four-year deal that could be worth as much as $4 million. . . . Tom Coughlin's message to players Thursday at the end of their three-day minicamp was to remember the "bitter bitterness" of how they collapsed at the end of last season. "They need to think long and hard about the disappointment of January," he said. . . . Eighteen players missed at least one practice due to injuries. DE Justin Tuck and G Chris Snee were excused Thursday for personal reasons. . . . Players are off now until Aug. 2, when they report to training camp in Albany.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...ant_payday.html

Quarterback Eli Manning aiming high in quest for next Giant payday

BY Ralph Vacchiano

dAILY news sports writer

Friday, June 19th 2009, 6:01 AM

Eli Manning is still in line to get one of the most lucrative contracts in NFL history. He is just going to have to wait a little longer than expected.

Manning and the Giants remain far apart in their negotiations on a new deal, according to two NFL sources with knowledge of the talks. Nobody is panicking, even though 2009 is the last year of Manning's rookie contract, and both sides expect a deal will eventually get done.

But they had originally hoped to do it this spring, with the Giants prepared to make Manning one of the NFL's richest players. According to one source, Manning's agents "want to make him the highest-paid player." Another source suggested the Super Bowl XLII MVP's initial asking price was up near an average of $20 million per year.

Neither Manning nor co-owner John Mara would discuss details when asked during Giants minicamp this week. And when Manning, whose original six-year deal was worth $45 million to $54 million, was asked if he wanted to be the NFL's highest-paid player, he said, "I don't have an ego about that.

"I'll leave it to my agent and the Giants," Manning said. "They'll figure out all the details. My job is to prepare, get this team ready and let everything else play itself out."

Though $20 million per year might be too high, league sources expect Manning - who will make $9.4 million this season - eventually will get a deal worth around $15 million per year. Several league executives and NFL agents expect the final package to be for seven or eight years and be worth around $110 million-$120 million, with more than $40 million in guaranteed money.

The largest contract in NFL history was the 10-year, $130 million deal (with $37 million in guarantees) the Atlanta Falcons gave Michael Vick in 2003. The seven-year, $98 million contract Peyton Manning got in 2004 averaged $14 million per season, which was an NFL high until this spring when the Oakland Raiders signed cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha to a complicated, three-year, $45 million deal that could average $15 million per.

The Giants know the price will be high, but they have no intention of letting Manning hit free agency. Even if he plays out his contract, they likely would place the franchise tag on him next March to prevent him from going anyplace.

"Obviously we want him to spend the rest of his career here, and we'll reach an agreement in due time," Mara said. "But I can't guess when that will be."

Manning couldn't guess either, but he said the timing doesn't matter.

"I signed a six-year deal and I have one more year," Manning said. "Something could happen before the season starts, but I'm not worried about it right now. I hope (it'll get done). I've had a great five years here. I love the organization, I love my teammates. I hope they feel the same way. But we'll see. You never know."

PRICE IS WRIGHT: CB DeAndre Wright, the Giants' sixth-round pick, agreed to a four-year deal that could be worth as much as $4 million. . . . Tom Coughlin's message to players Thursday at the end of their three-day minicamp was to remember the "bitter bitterness" of how they collapsed at the end of last season. "They need to think long and hard about the disappointment of January," he said. . . . Eighteen players missed at least one practice due to injuries. DE Justin Tuck and G Chris Snee were excused Thursday for personal reasons. . . . Players are off now until Aug. 2, when they report to training camp in Albany.

I know it's crazy for me to say. 20 Mil a year...uh, no thanks. :unsure:

the dog would have to agree - 20 million is definately way too high...however, if the new stadium is wind-resistant, well then by all means...

I agree. He's good but not that good. If he carried the team like let's say Brees then maybe but to be honest he's a decent QB and not an all star.

well, considering the dearth of talent at the QB position, the top 10 in the league can basically right their own ticket. i agree he's not great but the giants would be hard pressed to replace him.

somewhere around 15 mill would be fine if he has a top 10 season this year.

I think we should just make the nfl socialized football and pay them all less so every american can afford to go to the games.

It sounds like a great plan to do it to healthcare workers. Why not football?

I think we can all agree that Manning does not command a $20M per salary.. even Manning himself will concede to that. However, does that guy have to break the bank and strangle his team's salary cap situation?

By that I mean wouldn't it be nice if the guy settled for $10M per year? it's not like it would make much difference for him anyway, right? First.. his whole family is a bunch of millionaires.. and he's pretty much in the highest tax bracket anyway. I think Eli should take the high road and take $12M per.

I think we can all agree that Manning does not command a $20M per salary.. even Manning himself will concede to that. However, does that guy have to break the bank and strangle his team's salary cap situation?

By that I mean wouldn't it be nice if the guy settled for $10M per year? it's not like it would make much difference for him anyway, right? First.. his whole family is a bunch of millionaires.. and he's pretty much in the highest tax bracket anyway. I think Eli should take the high road and take $12M per.

Eli has a salary cap number of around $14.3m this season

remember in 2007 the Giants used a buy back option in Eli's. His original rookie contract expired after 2012, the buy back option brought it back to after 2009.

Eli has already been paid like a top QB and really he the hury is out as to whether he has played up to it (although he has shown potential). Alot of the Giants offesnive problems have come back to poor execution, Eli has more than his fair share.

I think this may be a make or break year for Eli, if he can take it to the next level, then he certainly has earned his pay, if he doesn't then it gets really interesting.

The other factor is David Carr, who will have been well established in the Giants system.

If (and it is a big if) the Giants are ok to consider lif without Eli, then we could franchise and trade him. There are a few teams in need of a QB who would consider a trade (eg: San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Jacksonville, Buffalo)

Maybe it could come down to do we pay Eli his $20m/year + (with alot guaranteed) or do we go with say David Carr (perhaps $6m-7m) and have extra draft picks.

I think it comes down to performance, does Eli become a truly elite QB or does he remain just a good one.

remember in 2007 the Giants used a buy back option in Eli's. His original rookie contract expired after 2012, the buy back option brought it back to after 2009.

Eli has already been paid like a top QB and really he the hury is out as to whether he has played up to it (although he has shown potential). Alot of the Giants offesnive problems have come back to poor execution, Eli has more than his fair share.

I think this may be a make or break year for Eli, if he can take it to the next level, then he certainly has earned his pay, if he doesn't then it gets really interesting.

The other factor is David Carr, who will have been well established in the Giants system.

If (and it is a big if) the Giants are ok to consider lif without Eli, then we could franchise and trade him. There are a few teams in need of a QB who would consider a trade (eg: San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Jacksonville, Buffalo)

Maybe it could come down to do we pay Eli his $20m/year + (with alot guaranteed) or do we go with say David Carr (perhaps $6m-7m) and have extra draft picks.

I think it comes down to performance, does Eli become a truly elite QB or does he remain just a good one.

This may sound weird but I agree with this...

i kinda don't agree with this.. you know how hard it is to find a QB? teams such as Raiders, Minny , SF to name a few has spend millions on top of millions looking for their QB. Having Carr replace Eli to save a few(million) bucks is just insane. This entire team is build around Eli and his mellow personality and to replace him is like rebuilding again. You're right that he doesn't perform like a top QB especially during windy games. But you can't say he's the worst QB we ever had. Record breaking payout? No, but near the air up there, yeh..

His agent is looking at $20 million. I'm sure there's wiggle-room, and the price probably won't be that out of whack with the going price for starting QBs.

It took how long to replace Simms? You guys really want to replace a superbowl MVP and pro-bowler from last season with David Carr, who could be one multi-sack game from going back to bad habits?

His agent is looking at $20 million. I'm sure there's wiggle-room, and the price probably won't be that out of whack with the going price for starting QBs.

It took how long to replace Simms? You guys really want to replace a superbowl MVP and pro-bowler from last season with David Carr, who could be one multi-sack game from going back to bad habits?

no- i would prefer that eli manning proves his worthiness this coming season.

Its a very tough situation to be in. Lets look at the positives:

Eli has something that very few QB's have he can win under pressure.

You can't teach that. He has that. He finds a way to win in very big games.

Most GM's dream of finding a player who can win under pressure. We already

have that in Eli.

He commands the field very well and his reading of defenses is great.

He is able to size up where to go with the ball. He is not Peyton but

has that same feel for the game. and yes Peyton has only 1 S-Bowl too.

He has a great relaxed relationship with his teamates and that personality

to be relaxed and deal with pressure spills over to the entire team.

Eli is a great teamate. He comes accross as being a modest hardworking player.

One of the boys.

Eli is not a mobile QB but finds his way out of tight spots and can make plays

and can avoid the rush.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets look at the negatives:

Eli at times is inaccurate. He will have streaks of inaccurate passing.

(throws high, throws behind etc..)

Eli at times does not throw tight spirals.

Eli has trouble with the deep ball and at times under throws his receivers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think in many ways Eli is now the foundation of the Giants. He comes with a few

negatives but those negatives may improve. If Eli continues to improve his game

and is more accurate, throws better deep balls and is better statistically he is worth

close to the money their asking. I always expected to pay higher that he is statistically

worth but Eli is a winner infact a S-Bowl winner.

True you can win a S-Bowl without a Qb star calibre player. The Giants won with a

backup in Jeff Hostlieter so to look at it from that perspective you can say well maybe

we can win one with David Carr but its a gamble because we dont know how Carr will

react under high pressure.

Eli we know exactly what we have under pressure. If he continues to improve again with

this semi-new receiving core than the Giants don't have that much of a choice. Its Eli's team they built

and you have to pay him close to what he wants. Its a lot of money I agree. But I have faith

that he can win a few more S-bowls with the team thats around him. Any other QB will be a

big risk. Show Eli the money!

no- i would prefer that eli manning proves his worthiness this coming season.

How, Blu? What does he have to do to prove it that he hasn't done already?

Increase his completion percentage? He can do that easily enough by not throwing the ball away, ala Warner. But the fact is, he already has a higher career completion percentage (55.9%) than Simms (55.4%), and towers above Phil's first 6 years (52.7%--I used 6 years because I wanted to adjust for his injuries and the lost '83 season--and '84 was a decent year for Phil). Collins is the only QB with a better percentage as a Giant (58.4), but he isn't close in td/int ratio (81/70) or wins/losses (35-33-0).

Increase his accuracy? I have a feeling that's coming with time (you can already start to see it), and our receiving core's willingness to actually work with him.

His td/int ratio is in the positive (98/74).

But most importantly, his career w/l is 42-29-0.

Increase his completion percentage? He can do that easily enough by not throwing the ball away, ala Warner. But the fact is, he already has a higher career completion percentage (55.9%) than Simms (55.4%), and towers above Phil's first 6 years (52.7%--I used 6 years because I wanted to adjust for his injuries and the lost '83 season--and '84 was a decent year for Phil). Collins is the only QB with a better percentage as a Giant (58.4), but he isn't close in td/int ratio (81/70) or wins/losses (35-33-0).

Increase his accuracy? I have a feeling that's coming with time (you can already start to see it), and our receiving core's willingness to actually work with him.

Well said Fish ! Its a lot of money but Eli had a 700% winning percentage!

Pay him the money

(i haven't seen his accuracy increase.) all he has to do for me is stay in the top 10 passer rating. i don't need him to be the best of all time, i just need him to be among the best of this time.

by using phil simms as your benchmark, i guess you agree with that. otherwise, you'd use peyton or montana.

also, he has to complete at least one smooth looking screen pass <_<

For all the little things we complain about when it comes to Eli, I'd still rather he continues to win ugly than lose looking great. Overthrow the receiver by 10 yards, throw passes at receivers ankles 5 feet away, throw an interception or two if it will help settle you down, but just keep on winning.

Now when it comes to his salary, I'm betting he gets about $15-17 million a season. The cap keeps growing, keep reinvesting that in the key positions and continue to improve this team. Come on guys, its not like the Giants are going to be giving the fans back this money. I'd rather pay Eli than go through the QB merry-go-round again or have you all forgotten that already?

(i haven't seen his accuracy increase.) all he has to do for me is stay in the top 10 passer rating. i don't need him to be the best of all time, i just need him to be among the best of this time.

by using phil simms as your benchmark, i guess you agree with that. otherwise, you'd use peyton or montana.

also, he has to complete at least one smooth looking screen pass <_<

Do you know who had the top 2 passer ratings this past year? Phillip Rivers and Chad Pennington. Matt Shaub was in the top 10.

Do you know who was ranked behind Manning in that statistic? Cutler. Flacco. So how reflective of the QB's actual value is that statistic?

You expect him to complete a smooth screen pass!?! Throwing to Jacobs? :P

I just want him to continue winning ball games. Personally, if he's 3-35 but those 3 completions are TDs, I'm OK with it.

Do you know who had the top 2 passer ratings this past year? Phillip Rivers and Chad Pennington. Matt Shaub was in the top 10.

Do you know who was ranked behind Manning in that statistic? Cutler. Flacco. So how reflective of the QB's actual value is that statistic?

You expect him to complete a smooth screen pass!?! Throwing to Jacobs? :P

I just want him to continue winning ball games. Personally, if he's 3-35 but those 3 completions are TDs, I'm OK with it.

you have 2 different arguments going- (mostly with yourself)

a) do i want him to remain a giant?- hell yes

b) is he worth top 10 money?- if he's top 10, he does.

if, by some chance the passer rating doesn't tell the whole story, then i'm ok with other criteria that make him top 10. if he has an average season and rides the defense to a championship a la dilfer, he should be paid accordingly.

you have 2 different arguments going- (mostly with yourself)

a) do i want him to remain a giant?- hell yes

b) is he worth top 10 money?- if he's top 10, he does.

if, by some chance the passer rating doesn't tell the whole story, then i'm ok with other criteria that make him top 10. if he has an average season and rides the defense to a championship a la dilfer, he should be paid accordingly.

Yes, but I'm the only person that will talk to me... :(