SportsWrath

Travis Beckum Could Dramatically Change the Offense

BleedinBlue

This article was in this morning's Daily News and found it quite interesting. I've heard the coaches say that Beckum will give defenses headaches and all, but this article goes into depth on the subject. Now the Giants have coined a new term called the "Wildcat Offense", in which Beckum is the "Wildcat" and in one-on-one situations, will post up at a variety of non-traditional positions that should wreak havoc of defenses. A worthwhile read.

Giants' new tight end Travis Beckum a changed man

BY Ralph Vacchiano

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 9:35 PM

The whole idea is just "crazy" when Travis Beckum really thinks about it. Here he is, an offensive weapon so promising for the Giants, GM Jerry Reese said he could be a "nightmare" for opponents. The coaches are already drawing up plays just for him.

Yet until three years ago he had never played offense at all.

In fact, after the 2005 season, when he first approached Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema, who had just been promoted from defensive coordinator, and suggested switching from linebacker and defensive end to tight end, Beckum wasn't exactly given a ringing endorsement.

"At first he kind of giggled at me," Beckum said. "So I said, 'Coach, no, I'm being serious.' That following year I made the transition during spring ball and I'm at where I'm at now."

Here's where he's at now: Drafted in the third round (100th overall) by the Giants two weeks ago, he's penciled in as the Giants' H-back and the coaches are already brainstorming creative ways to use him. After getting his first look at the playbook at the Giants' rookie camp last weekend, Beckum can already see how he'd be used at almost every offensive skill position except quarterback.

And with the rising popularity of the Wildcat formation, you never know. He could see a snap or two at QB as well.

"I think they kind of want to use me off the line, in the slot, just someone that moves a lot," said the 6-3, 239-pounder. "I think that they drafted me because they can see my abilities to spread the field and that's what I look to do."

Those abilities were pretty clear to everyone in the Giants' draft room, according to tight ends coach Mike Pope. "He's big, he can run fast, he's quick, he's got good hands," Pope said of Beckum. "Now we've just got to figure out how to utilize him."

At the rookie camp, they lined Beckum up mostly at tight end, "just so he'd have a basis to begin," Pope said. In reality, though, Beckum will rarely be used at the true tight end spot - next to the tackle - because he's too small to be an effective blocker against NFL defensive ends. The idea, Pope said, is to get Beckum into space, where the Giants can find matchups he should be able to exploit.

"Where you could really see he's a potentially exciting player is when we did the one-on-one things (in camp)," Pope said. "I mean, he can run, he can separate. The talent is there."

That was obvious immediately at Wisconsin, where in his first two years as an offensive player - as a sophomore and a junior - Beckum caught 136 passes for 1,885 yards and 11 touchdowns. A hamstring injury and later a broken left leg caused him to miss half his senior season, though he still caught 23 passes for 264 yards in six games. What the Giants saw when they scouted him, according to Reese, was a player who "could be a nightmare as a matchup problem for linebackers and strong safeties" and a big, inside target who could get open quickly and help Eli Manning late in the season when the Giants Stadium winds start to swirl.

The idea that he could be all that was never a thought when Beckum was growing up in Milwaukee and on his way toward becoming Wisconsin's high school player of the year as a linebacker in 2004. But in college, his coaches switched him to defensive end in the middle of his freshman season. He struggled, his playing time diminished, and he didn't see much of a future for himself at that spot.

That's when he had the offensive brainstorm that gave Bielema a laugh.

"I knew I had pretty good hands, and with a little bit of work I could learn to run routes," Beckum said. "It was definitely tough. I definitely had to make some changes in what I did and how I looked at things. I guess I looked at it as a challenge. I love taking the challenges and seeing what I can make out of it, and that's what I've done.

"It just shows you that sometimes you just have to leave your options open, so when one thing doesn't work out you try another thing. Obviously I did that. It's worked out great."

The wildcat sucks.

This year you're going to see it go downhill fast.

I don't know. I remember saying for years before we drafted Brandon Jacobs, that we should have a two-man backfield consisting of a scat back and a big power back like Csonka. I had suggested many times that we convert Visanthe Shianco into that rushing power back as he was getting so little use behind Shockey. I took my share of ridicule for that one, but I think the Giants have proven that a big power back works well in tandem with a scat back. It was a novel idea back then, but no one in the NFL is laughing at the idea anymore.

Offenses become so predictable in the NFL that any new twist could have dramatic results - either negative or positive. As long as the O-line can give the QB time, having additional options in the playbook that are untraditional could yield incredible results and even start a trend.

I will find it very interesting to see how the Giants use this wildcat. He can run the ball, he can catch on a reverse sweep, can cut through the middle, or even go long like a wide reciever. I think that's cool.

I don't know. I remember saying for years before we drafted Brandon Jacobs, that we should have a two-man backfield consisting of a scat back and a big power back like Csonka. I had suggested many times that we convert Visanthe Shianco into that rushing power back as he was getting so little use behind Shockey. I took my share of ridicule for that one, but I think the Giants have proven that a big power back works well in tandem with a scat back. It was a novel idea back then, but no one in the NFL is laughing at the idea anymore.

Offenses become so predictable in the NFL that any new twist could have dramatic results - either negative or positive. As long as the O-line can give the QB time, having additional options in the playbook that are untraditional could yield incredible results and even start a trend.

I will find it very interesting to see how the Giants use this wildcat. {b]He can run the ball, he can catch on a reverse sweep, can cut through the middle, or even go long like a wide reciever. I think that's cool.[/b]

Oh yeah, I'm all for new wrinkles in the offense... but honestly... I'm just not a fan of taking out a QB and direct snapping the ball to a back, who's more likely to throw an INT than a TD. If you have a Kordell Stewart or Michael Vick and can pull off those kinds of formations, then you can make it work... but I think now that there's a year of film to study, you're going to see the demise of the Wildcat pretty quickly... at least the "slash" style of wildcat, I'd bet.

I love the idea that we're getting an H-back. We haven't had one since the days of Aaron Pierce... who always seemed to flash brilliance right before a big mistake, lol. But they can definitely be a versatile player... I remember seeing Pierce run the ball on a sweep down by the goal line in the Dan Reeves days... but sometimes they'd split him out wide, use him as a lead blocker, or keep him in close to the line to block. THAT kind of versatility is cool... but let the QB stick to throwing the bulk of the passes.

And I've been pounding the "power back" drum for a good five years now, too. As defenses get smaller and quicker, you beat them not with speed... but by hitting them in the mouth. And then hit them in the mouth again... and then for variety, hit them in the mouth again. :deadhorse:

Then once they're down, unleash the Ahmad Bradshaws and Sinorice Mosses on 'em. :TU:

Oh yeah, I'm all for new wrinkles in the offense... but honestly... I'm just not a fan of taking out a QB and direct snapping the ball to a back, who's more likely to throw an INT than a TD. If you have a Kordell Stewart or Michael Vick and can pull off those kinds of formations, then you can make it work... but I think now that there's a year of film to study, you're going to see the demise of the Wildcat pretty quickly... at least the "slash" style of wildcat, I'd bet.

I love the idea that we're getting an H-back. We haven't had one since the days of Aaron Pierce... who always seemed to flash brilliance right before a big mistake, lol. But they can definitely be a versatile player... I remember seeing Pierce run the ball on a sweep down by the goal line in the Dan Reeves days... but sometimes they'd split him out wide, use him as a lead blocker, or keep him in close to the line to block. THAT kind of versatility is cool... but let the QB stick to throwing the bulk of the passes.

And I've been pounding the "power back" drum for a good five years now, too. As defenses get smaller and quicker, you beat them not with speed... but by hitting them in the mouth. And then hit them in the mouth again... and then for variety, hit them in the mouth again. :deadhorse:

Then once they're down, unleash the Ahmad Bradshaws and Sinorice Mosses on 'em. :TU:

I couldn't agree more. Although I don't think I gleaned from the article that they'd be using Beckum to chuck the ball.

I agree on the powerback. I loved watching Csonka carry three guys for 5 yards into the end zone. He was like a bulldozer. Franco Harris was good too, but I never saw him drag guys for lots of extra yards the way the Zonk did. I think Jacobs is the most exciting power back since Csonka.

I couldn't agree more. Although I don't think I gleaned from the article that they'd be using Beckum to chuck the ball.

I agree on the powerback. I loved watching Csonka carry three guys for 5 yards into the end zone. He was like a bulldozer. Franco Harris was good too, but I never saw him drag guys for lots of extra yards the way the Zonk did. I think Jacobs is the most exciting power back since Csonka.

Good reading here. For me, I loved to watch Earl Campbell...well, his highlights at least, unfortunately I missed out on watching him. Since then we've got Riggens, Okoye, Jacobs? Its a dying breed.

Beckum sounds like an exciting player, sort of like a Chris Cooley or Dallas Clark. It would be great if it works out, a guy like that would be a great compliment to Kevin Boss, who developed into a hell of a blocker last year.

im excited about beckum, excited about alot of our rookies this year actually.

beckum has been nice in madden for me(not that it means anything)

and ive loved the idea of a power back since back when they advertised dayne as that.

im excited about beckum, excited about alot of our rookies this year actually.

beckum has been nice in madden for me(not that it means anything)

and ive loved the idea of a power back since back when they advertised dayne as that.

I can't believe anyone ever called 5'10" tubby little Ron Dayne a "power back". He was fast in track when he was young, but he never carried a few guys for 5 to 10 extra yards because they couldn't bring him down.

There are very gew true "powerbacks" in NFL history. Csonka was 6'3" and had the strength of a bull and had the heart of a champion and bowled tacklers over when they got in the way. He almost always picked up a couple of extra yards after being tied up and sometimes dragged tacklers for many yards. I never saw him go backwards after a hit. Franco Harris was smaller at 6'2", but again, was strong as a bull and had a heart of a champion and could truck opposing players the way Jacobs does today. Jim Brown was probably the most famous "powerback" in NFL history and he was 6'2".

Csonka was the only running back in history (to the best of my knowledge) who ever got flagged for "unnecessary roughness" after hitting a tackler "too hard".

Dayne was short and his heavy weight came from being fat and soft from too many donuts.....and no one would ever accuse him of having the heart of a champion and he never trucked anyone in his entire career.

I can't believe anyone ever called 5'10" tubby little Ron Dayne a "power back". He was fast in track when he was young, but he never carried a few guys for 5 to 10 extra yards because they couldn't bring him down.

Csonka was 6'3" and had the strength of a bull and had the heart of a champion and bowled tacklers over when they got in the way. He almost always picked up a couple of extra yards after being tied up and sometimes dragged tacklers for many yards. I never saw him go backwards after a hit. Franco Harris was smaller at 6'2", but again, was strong as a bull and had a heart of a champion and could truck opposing players the way Jacobs does today.

Csonka was the only running back in history (to the best of my knowledge) who ever got flagged for "unnecessary roughness" after truckin a tackler.

Dayne was short and his heavy weight came from being fat and soft from too many donuts.....and no one would ever accuse him of having the heart of a champion and he never trucked anyone in his entire career.

it was our brilliant coaching staff and the brilliant sports media

besides him sucking it was a big reason he wasnt effective for us other than 1 season. coaches tried to play him like a powerback.

You know, we've seen quite a few TE's hurt us. Witten comes to mind. That dude from SD.. Gates. I think the Giants wanted to go after a pass catching TE to put defenses in check.

You know, we've seen quite a few TE's hurt us. Witten comes to mind. That dude from SD.. Gates. I think the Giants wanted to go after a pass catching TE to put defenses in check.

Witten has done more than hurt us....man, he's destroyed us in some games. If it wasn't for Witten, we would have owned the Cowboys the past few years. Whenever Romo is in trouble with the Giants closing in on him, he simply dumps it off to Witten who picks up another first down. Man I hate that and have been known to throw things and scream at the TV during those games.

How nice it would be to serve them a little of their own medicine.

Fuck the wildcat offense. That shit is such a stupid novelty.

The best was when the Dolphins used it in their playoff game in the midst of driving at the end of the game and lost 20 yards on one play when the dude failed to handle the pitch.

Stick with real football plays, Giants offense...not tacky College football plays that don't work against players who are the best of the best college players.

I will find it very interesting to see how the Giants use this wildcat. He can run the ball, he can catch on a reverse sweep, can cut through the middle, or even go long like a wide reciever. I think that's cool.

No man, they aren't laughing at that. They are laughing at the thought of putting a Tight End or other skill position at QUARTERBACK, even for only one play. We have Eli Manning. Keep it simple, stupid!

Witten has done more than hurt us....man, he's destroyed us in some games. If it wasn't for Witten, we would have owned the Cowboys the past few years. Whenever Romo is in trouble with the Giants closing in on him, he simply dumps it off to Witten who picks up another first down. Man I hate that and have been known to throw things and scream at the TV during those games.

How nice it would be to serve them a little of their own medicine.

You are talking about the Antonio Pierce effect...well, the effect of having no linebackers that can cover a player like Jason Witten...hopefully, this years new linebackers can have a little more success...

No man, they aren't laughing at that. They are laughing at the thought of putting a Tight End or other skill position at QUARTERBACK, even for only one play. We have Eli Manning. Keep it simple, stupid!

Read the friggin article. It clearly stated that every position except quarterback. Why do you insist on arguing against a mythical point. The positions he would play is half-back, receiving tight end, short dump routes, and even going deep like a wide receiver.

It creates havoc if the defense is not playing zone....AND THAT IS THE POINT of the article. Your idea that we should play extremely predictable football so the defense can be good and ready is pretty damn lame if you ask me.

Before beating your chest and declaring something the Giants are going to try will not and cannot work.....let's wait and see. Hell....if you were half the football genius you pretend to be on this board, every team in the NFL would be knocking on your door begging you to coach their team and tempting you with multi-million dollar offers. Something tells me, that ain't happening.

Read the friggin article. It clearly stated that every position except quarterback. Why do you insist on arguing against a mythical point. The positions he would play is half-back, receiving tight end, short dump routes, and even going deep like a wide receiver.

It creates havoc if the defense is not playing zone....AND THAT IS THE POINT of the article. Your idea that we should play extremely predictable football so the defense can be good and ready is pretty damn lame if you ask me.

Before beating your chest and declaring something the Giants are going to try will not and cannot work.....let's wait and see. Hell....if you were half the football genius you pretend to be on this board, every team in the NFL would be knocking on your door begging you to coach their team and tempting you with multi-million dollar offers. Something tells me, that ain't happening.

Yah, because the wildcat offense worked so well for the Dolphins and the two other teams in the NFL that have even attempted it(your first hint that it's a novelty idea).

I wasn't calling you stupid, but I am now, because you obviously are freaking for some reason and can't take what others think without crying about it. Chill the fuck out ya fuckin drama queen. It's a message board, no one here is an expert on football...no one here takes this as seriously as you do, either.

My point is, which went completely over your head, keep your skill position players at THEIR skill position. He's a tight end.

I based what I said entirely on this tools stupid suggestion of taking one of the best offenses in football and even suggesting that it needs to be changed with some stupid novelty offense. That's far lamer than even you, my friend. And using your very own logic, if he was even remotely right, the Giants would be knocking down his door asking him to coach for them....instead he's writing retarded articles about something we won't, and shouldn't even attempt.

"And with the rising popularity of the Wildcat formation, you never know. He could see a snap or two at QB as well. "

So way to fly off the handle, Douchey McDouche Douche.

And not only that, I am far from the only one who thinks this idea is completely stupid.

"And with the rising popularity of the Wildcat formation, you never know. He could see a snap or two at QB as well. "

So way to fly off the handle, Douchey McDouche Douche.

And not only that, I am far from the only one who thinks this idea is completely stupid.

HEy, no need for names there boy!

If he took a snap at QB, it would be to pull a Vick/McNabb type run. The article clearly states that he could be used in a variety of offensive plays EXCEPT quarterback. With a few WR's lined up, plus Jacobs and/or Bradshaw, plus Hedgecock, etc., it would cause a lot of trouble for defenses if Beckum is also in there. If they key on Beckum, it opens the door for the other guys who end up in single coverage or no coverage at all. If used correctly, it could be a nightmare for defenses. No matter how well your offense plays in traditional roles, the element of surprise as well as one more thing to worry about is how defenses get screwed over.

Lastly, if Reese, Coughlin, and the rest of the coaches are "excited" about Beckum and were "ecstatic" on draft day upon the opportunity to grab him and couldn't wipe the smile off their faces while clearly saying they want to use him in a variety of offensive slots......I really believe you have to give them a little bit of credit for knowing what they are doing. You may disagree with some things they do as a "next day-armchair-expert", but they've proven they know just a little bit about football and picking players in the draft. The Giants staff who worked the draft are not exactly idiots and they aren't Oakland grabbing at straws. They are savvy as hell and can find diamonds in the coal mine.

And oh yeah...from the original article: "...he'd be used at almost every offensive skill position except quarterback".

If Beckum becomes effective than anytime he goes on the field

he becomes dangerous because the opposing D has to account for

him. Whether the play is designed for him or not he in essence

can be used as a decoy once it proves out giving other players great opportunties.

Having a player that can move around anywhere on the field

in combination with a power back in Jacobs could be

extremely hard on defenses.

On one hand you have to "stay home" and key in on Jacobs

but you have to watch Beckum and where he lines up also.

The Linebackers are gonna have fits and ultimately something gives.

The wild cat that parcels brought back is only a non stardard play from center

to RB. The Giants can use Beckum in a non standard formation as a TE.

As always you still have to execute these plays whether standard formation or

non-standard.

I am very excited about what the Giants are trying to do on offense and defense.

Gonna be real fun to watch all this talent hit the field in July !!!

Because its that time of year where logic is not welcomed and every draft pick is that steal of the draft. That undrafted player goes to the pro bowl and your team was smart enough to bring him in.

Why do people always think that whatever rookie TE we draft will drastically change the offense? How did the "Shockshank Redemption" turn out?