SportsWrath

Giants should move up to Rams pick for Crabtree.

Plax 4 Prez

What is with the BS posts in a football thread. :brooding:

We have a notoriously short attention span here, easily distracted, saying one thing reminds us of another. Best to just roll with it, and casually steer the conversation back when the moment arises.

Or, just join in the bs and live life like the rebel you know you want to be.

1: Crabtree isn't in the same ballpark as Calvin Johnson was as a prospect. CJ didn't have a dent in the armor, the media loved him, the scouts and coaches loved him (from what i heard), every day you turned on the TV it was something about CJ, running a 4.3 in borrowed spikes or some shit. There was talk of him going number 1 overall, 6'5", 240, blazing speed, great leaping ability. The dude was a Madden created player as a prospect.

As a wr prospect alone, prior to being drafted, CJ and Crabtree are completely uncomparable.

2: It is my huimble opinion that Crabtree wilkl never be more than an average nfl wr.

3: To say it is impossible to trade for the second pick in the draft, or to trade for Crabtree is not true. a 1st, 2 2nd's, a 3rd, a 4th and 2 5ths won't get the 2nd overall pick? Bologna. Improbable, unlikely, unwise? yes, impossible? No.

After reading this entire thread, here's a summary:

The Rock=Tiger Woods>Vijay Singh=Jake the Snake Roberts>the Ultimate Warrior>Calvin Johnson>Michael Crabtree>Freddie Mitchell.

I know nobody mentioned Freddie Mitchell, but it's soooooooooooooo obvious.

3: To say it is impossible to trade for the second pick in the draft, or to trade for Crabtree is not true. a 1st, 2 2nd's, a 3rd, a 4th and 2 5ths won't get the 2nd overall pick? Bologna. Improbable, unlikely, unwise? yes, impossible? No.

Look at the numbers. When you draft at the bottom of every round (which we do), your picks aren't that valuable. If a team inside the top 10 or 12 (say, the 49ers) offered that package, then they would be able to move up to 2. A team drafting 29th? No chance.

Stated differently...

VG, I'll give you $997 if you give me $2,600. Deal?

1: Crabtree isn't in the same ballpark as Calvin Johnson was as a prospect. CJ didn't have a dent in the armor, the media loved him, the scouts and coaches loved him (from what i heard), every day you turned on the TV it was something about CJ, running a 4.3 in borrowed spikes or some shit. There was talk of him going number 1 overall, 6'5", 240, blazing speed, great leaping ability. The dude was a Madden created player as a prospect.

As a wr prospect alone, prior to being drafted, CJ and Crabtree are completely uncomparable.

2: It is my huimble opinion that Crabtree wilkl never be more than an average nfl wr.

I agree completely about Johnson > Crabtree. I remember some people calling Calvin Johnson not only the best player in the draft, but among the best college prospects EVER.

I also agree that the Giants have enough ammo to get Crabtree, mainly because I think he could very well drop down lower than #5. Again, if he is around by pick #10, I would not be surprised at all.

and i agree somewhat with VG

i think crabtree will be good but i dont think AS good as where he will be drafted.

i dont think he will have the best career out of this draft class of WRs.

i think maclin will have the better early numbers and someone(maybe maclin) will be better overall.

Look at the numbers. When you draft at the bottom of every round (which we do), your picks aren't that valuable. If a team inside the top 10 or 12 (say, the 49ers) offered that package, then they would be able to move up to 2. A team drafting 29th? No chance.

Stated differently...

The biggest reason why I think it could happen is because the Rams don't want the #2 pick payout, and they need to address several positions

Unless we agree to trade Eli, it's not remotely attainable.

So you think we couldn't move into the top 5 picks without trading our franchise qb?

Yes we could. Will we? Nope, not likely.

But going on and on about how it's impossible, isn't accurate.

So you think we couldn't move into the top 5 picks without trading our franchise qb?

Actually we coudlnt, we would literally have to trade this years draft and picks from next year to get to that position. So your right that we can get it, its just never going to happen unless Matt Millen is our GM.

Actually we coudlnt, we would literally have to trade this years draft and picks from next year to get to that position. So your right that we can get it, its just never going to happen unless Matt Millen is our GM.

Exactly. It can be done.

Ditka traded his whole draft for Ricky Williams- then went golfing before round one was over.

Ditka traded his whole draft for Ricky Williams- then went golfing before round one was over.

Yep and a couple of picks from the next year as well. And he only moved up from 11th/12th.

But he was also very stupid about it, basically telling everyone 'he wanted williams and he'd give up his whole draft for him.'

Whats even more pathetic is how Washington had basically two drafts worth of picks and failed to build any sort of team outta them.

that's cuz they traded 4 of the 9 picks (all from the same ricky williams draft) to the bears to trade up from 12 to 7 so they could take champ bailey.

the next season they had the 2nd and 3rd overall picks and took lavar arrington and chris samuels--i dont remember which one of those picks were from the saints though.

The biggest reason why I think it could happen is because the Rams don't want the #2 pick payout, and they need to address several positions

That doesn't make them more likely to strike a deal where they would be getting awful, awful value. They could do waaaaaaaaay better, if they do indeed desire to trade the pick.

All of our picks combined add up to 997 points. The 2nd pick is worth 2,600. The difference between 2,600 and 997, is 1,603 -- roughly the equivalent of the 6th overall pick in the draft. That's how big of a gap we're talking here.

If the Giants offered their 2010 1st rounder, it still wouldn't be enough becuase we have a high expected win total.

Realistially, for the deal to work out in terms of value, the Giants would have to offer their entire 2009 draft, plus their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks in 2010. 12 picks altogether.

So if you think that qualifies as "possible" and insist on being a literalist, then you win (though I used the term "functionally impossible," which is a big difference). How about we shift the description to "Never ever gonna happen in a million years for any two teams competiting with National Football League"? Happy?

Stated differently...

I don't buy it. No way a team passes on 4 first day picks, and 6 of the top 150 picks. The number 2 overall pick is a highly coveted pick for a team that can afford it, but if you own that pick based on record, you're looking to rebuild, and 4 first day picks alone is extremely attractive to a team looking for more than 1 premium player. thats not even taking into account the price tag associated with the number 2 pick.

I don't buy it. No way a team passes on 4 first day picks, and 6 of the top 150 picks. The number 2 overall pick is a highly coveted pick for a team that can afford it, but if you own that pick based on record, you're looking to rebuild, and 4 first day picks alone is extremely attractive to a team looking for more than 1 premium player. thats not even taking into account the price tag associated with the number 2 pick.

When those picks have the collective value of our picks, a team sure will pass. That's why we've never seen someone in the 20's trade into the top-5. It's not rocket surgery ... just a simple but relevant numbers game.

So you're gonna send me that check for $2600??

When those picks have the collective value of our picks, a team sure will pass. That's why we've never seen someone in the 20's trade into the top-5. It's not rocket surgery ... just a simple but relevant numbers game.

I really don't give a damn about pick value scales, I'm telling you with 100 % certainty that a team sitting in the 2nd spot who is motivated to sell will absolutely take 7 pf the top 150 picks in the draft and 4 of the top 100 as compensation.

Now, there are teams that could always one up us, but it's far from impossible to make thast5 trade without offering a single player, let alone our best players.

All of our picks combined add up to 997 points. The 2nd pick is worth 2,600. The difference between 2,600 and 997, is 1,603 -- roughly the equivalent of the 6th overall pick in the draft. That's how big of a gap we're talking here.

If the Giants offered their 2010 1st rounder, it still wouldn't be enough becuase we have a high expected win total.

Realistially, for the deal to work out in terms of value, the Giants would have to offer their entire 2009 draft, plus their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks in 2010. 12 picks altogether.

So if you think that qualifies as "possible" and insist on being a literalist, then you win (though I used the term "functionally impossible," which is a big difference). How about we shift the description to "Never ever gonna happen in a million years for any two teams competiting with National Football League"? Happy?

So which is it then smart ass? Possible or impossible?

Yeah we all know it's not probable. We've all been saying that for a while now.

What's literalist about saying it is possible? You just said it yourself.

And you're choosing to ignore many factors, purposely I suspect, such as teams being wary in this economy about signing high picks and more and more seeking trade DOWNS, or future draft picks packaged, or packaged players. It's definately a possiblity.

Never ever gonna happen in a million years for any two teams competiting with National Football League"

That's essentially what Ditka did in 99. It doesn't matter if he had no first round pick, he would've found a way to trade up for Ricky Williams.

I realize that you want to make Plax4Prez look stupid and to do that you must go on and on about what an impossibly stupid idea trading up is, but at least be accurate. It is possible.

ROCKET SURGERY???