SportsWrath

Did We Overpay for Canty??

Guest StrahansGap

One thing though, Boley and Bernard were arrested for domestic disputes against their wives/girlfriends. That is the one thing I can't tolerate players doing. I hope it's behind both of them but I hate seeing that.

Don't worry man... rumor has it the bitches deserved it. Dinner wasn't hot, OR on the table.

Forigve me if I'm not up to date, but where was it stated and why would the Giants release Fred Robbins? The guy is the best player you never hear about on this team. I hope it's not the case. Anyway, about Canty's deal. It's all about the guaranteed money. For him to earn the entire 42 million, he will definitely have earned it if you know what I mean. I thought after signing Bernard they may have hit the brakes but the Giants have gone one step further and solidified what was already the best defensive line in football when at full strength. Canty's ability to play the end gives the team an opportunity to keep everyone fresh and the luxury of perhaps moving Kiwi around with different packages. Needless to say, it's a great start and I couldn't be happier. One thing though, Boley and Bernard were arrested for domestic disputes against their wives/girlfriends. That is the one thing I can't tolerate players doing. I hope it's behind both of them but I hate seeing that. Anyway, a great job by Reese so far.

I like Robbins too, he's been very underrated for us...I thought he was on his way earning a Pro Bowl last year. But he's 32, coming off two broken hands, a lame shoulder, and a knee injury in the playoffs (the severity of which we know little about, except that he's still not healthy). So, there you go...

I know the guy is a beast, but I think we gave him too much money. Discuss...

I don't for the following reasons:

He's a product of the "Parcells Tree". Coached by Al Groh, drafted by Parcells, and now signed by Coughlin.

He's an intelligent, hard worker, he and Justin Tuck will get along great.

He's a native New Yorker. He's going to give this 110%.

He's young, and huge.

He can play tackle or end.

Frankly, the lack of a Chris Canty last season is one of the reasons why they couldn't beat the Eagles last season in the playoffs.

Guest StrahansGap
I don't for the following reasons:

He's a product of the "Parcells Tree". Coached by Al Groh, drafted by Parcells, and now signed by Coughlin.

He's an intelligent, hard worker, he and Justin Tuck will get along great.

He's a native New Yorker. He's going to give this 110%.

He's young, and huge.

He can play tackle or end.

Frankly, the lack of a Chris Canty last season is one of the reasons why they couldn't beat the Eagles last season in the playoffs.

How do you know he'll get along with Tuck or anyone else for that matter? I'll even go as far to say that I think there will be some major animosities come August. Let me explain: Justin Tuck signed a 5 year/$30 million contract. Osi signed a 6 year/$40 million contract. They signed Canty for 6 years/ $42 million AND with more money guaranteed then Tuck and Osi. How do you think that is going to go over? Osi and Tuck are true blue since they came into the NFL and now here they are giving a COWBOY (of all people) more money than them. Tuck and Osi got them a ring, Canty didn't. Can you say slap in the face?

I think Reese dropped the ball. He should have (out of respect for the other players on the Giants) given Canty less money on principle alone!!

How do you know he'll get along with Tuck or anyone else for that matter? I'll even go as far to say that I think there will be some major animosities come August. Let me explain: Justin Tuck signed a 5 year/$30 million contract. Osi signed a 6 year/$40 million contract. They signed Canty for 6 years/ $42 million AND with more money guaranteed then Tuck and Osi. How do you think that is going to go over? Osi and Tuck are true blue since they came into the NFL and now here they are giving a COWBOY (of all people) more money than them. Tuck and Osi got them a ring, Canty didn't. Can you say slap in the face?

I think Reese dropped the ball. He should have (out of respect for the other players on the Giants) given Canty less money on principle alone!!

What if the less money would have deterred him from signing? When Osi and Tuck signed, those were huge, perfectly fit contracts. Things change every year almost, and Canty is someone we need right now. He was that much in demand NOW. You cant compare contracts from different years. Different circumstances. I believe that Osi and especially Tuck, will understand and look at it like that. They all want another ring more than anything.

Actually Osi is getting $14 million guaranteed with Tuck getting $16 million. Canty is only making about one-two million more then Osi or Tuck, which in all honesty inst a big deal. Osi has proved to be injury prone his most recent putting him on IR, if he starts bitching about money you can bank on Reese having a "sit down" with him or even looking at shipping him out. Tuck so far has proved he is a team player and hasn't raised a peep about money or contract issues, so I see no problem with him.

The only person who might have a problem is Osi and even he has to realize after coming off an IR season your not going to be attracting the big $$$.

Honestly I don't see the problem.

Oh and it isnt the 1960s there no more "loyalty" as you put it in the NFL.

1. Osi has no leg to stand on this year, he was out all last year. I expect a grip in 2010 if he has

a good season, but not now.

2. Tuck knew what he was getting into when he signed that deal during the playoff run last year,

he didn't have too...but he did it anyway. I think Tuck is a consummate professional who believes

the team is above himself, the same can be said for O'Hara and Jacobs because they could have gotten

alot of money elsewhere..but chose to stick around.

If you were our GM, the Giants would suck. Their is no such thing as loyalty anymore.

I think the Giants know that Robbins at 32 is slowing down a bit and nearing the end and I think they saw the young uy that they wanted as a replacement in Canty a year early. He has tremendous size at 6 7 and the Giants are taking a leap of faith that a guy who was a 3/4 end can now play tackle(most of the time) in a 4/3 alignment. I think they just saw this as the guy they wanted and at 26 he is still very young. Personally I remember him batting down at least 2 passes a game when I saw him, at 6 7 he should do that.

I agree that the Canty signing is one that is to replace Robbins after this season. They haven't released Robbins, and if they were going to do that I really thought they would do it by the end of today so he would be able to go to another team sooner rather than later when rosters are more rounded out. This leads me to believe that they plan on keeping Robbins, and just having an unbelievable DT rotation of Canty, Cofield, Bernard, Robbins and Alford, with Canty sometimes lining up at DE. I dare say the 4 aces package will be pack on passing downs with Kiwi on the end, Tuck and Canty inside, and of course Osi on the other side. And you still have Bernard who is a good pass rusher, and would allow matchup flexibility if they wanted to do a package of Tuck, Bernard, Canty, and Osi. I'm drooking right now. They have so much flexibility and so much talent on the D-line, the secondary just has to wait for the wobbly ducks to land in their laps!

How do you know he'll get along with Tuck or anyone else for that matter? I'll even go as far to say that I think there will be some major animosities come August.

If Tuck suddenly loses his professionalism, then there will be animosity. But from everything I've read so far about Canty, the guy is very focused and professional. That's exactly the sort of player that Tuck is.

And considering that Tuck was running on fumes at the end of the year, bringing in another guy that can be plugged in pretty much anywhere on the line will be something I'm sure he'll welcome.

maybe joemorrisforpres is Justin tuck :unsure:

As I said in the other Canty thread: "10 Sacks in 4 years? Playing next to Ware?"

Yes I think we overpaid. He's essentially an experiment, not a proven performer at DT.

...............in a 3-4 in which he was key to stopping the run and letting players such as DeMarcus Ware make plays....did you somehow forget this?

...............in a 3-4 in which he was key to stopping the run and letting players such as DeMarcus Ware make plays....did you somehow forget this?

1 sack every 6 1/2 games is low no matter what his role on the line. I'd expect that from a NT.

1 sack every 6 1/2 games is low no matter what his role on the line. I'd expect that from a NT.

Dude, he essentially was, he plays at 6 7 over 300 lbs...aside from rotating to NT and DE(similar to how we rotate Tuck to DT on certain downs and distances) his job was to allow the playmakers at LB to jack up the line of scrimmage...he was an integral part in the 3-4 scheme they ran there. It's not at all surprising he had half the sacks Fred Robbins had last year because that isn't the scheme they ran there.

He would definitely be more suited as a DT on this team and would probably see more sack numbers switching to DT permanently.

Please stop displaying your ignorance!

If you look at any of the 3-4 DE's, they do not get alot of sacks.

Do you think it is a coincidence that 3 of the top 4 sack leaders in the NFL last year were 3-4 LB's?

Do you think it is a coincidence that 3 of the top 4 sack leaders in the NFL last year were 3-4 LB's?

With the exception of Richard Seymour, this is largely true. Corey Williams had 8 sacks in '07 as a member of the Packers, but then only recorded 0.5 last year as a 3-4 DE in Cleveland. It's just not a role that's conducive towards accumulating sacks.

Last year Canty had five PDs, which are just as good as sacks.

For what it's worth, the Titans were looking to get Canty after Haynesworth signed with Washington. So the Giants aren't the only reputable team to project him as a valuable player in a 4-3

I think you're way off... Tuck and Osi got huge contracts.. how much a free agent gets in 2009 should have no bearing on what they SIGNED for...

Besides, last I checked.. CANTY is a Giant.

Then why the fuck is everyone convinced he'll be a beast in a 4-3? Like I said, he's essentially an experiment at the position and we paid him top dollar. If he'd excelled as a pass rusher from a 3-4 you'd have an argument.

Ignorance is drawing conclusion without correlating evidence.

take that shit back to Giants.com or over to the politics section

Well the thinking behind the potential success of Canty in a 4-3 alignment is that he would be responsible for a smaller space and possibly facing a blocking mismatch on the inside. Sure its an experiment but it is one that has a high chance of success.

I wouldn't consider the contract the Giants gave Canty as top dollar since the Redskins made sure that Haynesworth became the top dollar DT in the league. There have only been two other DT's in the league that have been picked up through free agency: Jovan Haye (4 year $16 million) and Colin Cole (5 year $21 million). Cole was a backup lineman for the past 4 years while Haye bounced around the league and has only been starting for the past 2 seasons. So I believe the Giants paid market value for a 4 year starter.

Then why the fuck is everyone convinced he'll be a beast in a 4-3? Like I said, he's essentially an experiment at the position and we paid him top dollar. If he'd excelled as a pass rusher from a 3-4 you'd have an argument.

3-4 DEs typically don't excel as pass rushers, at least in terms of getting sacks. But Canty does move the pocket and he gets his hands up, which are coveted skills and just as important as sacking the QB outright.

As for his transferable skills, it's not a difficult projection to make from a scouting standpoint. In general, 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT are similar positions with similar responsbilities (though this can vary depending on the scheme and the fronts). Projecting 4-3 DTs to 3-4 alignments has actually proven to be trickier. In a 4-3, Canty will have more iso block situations and he'll have to deal with fewer double teams than he did in a 3-4 ... I'm sure he's very excited about that.

...or kind of just looking at a guys stats and not realizing what his responsibilities were in that particular scheme.

But you are not ignorant you know whats expected of a 3/4 DE.

...or kind of just looking at a guys stats and not realizing what his responsibilities were in that particular scheme.

But you are not ignorant you know whats expected of a 3/4 DE.

Yes I do. He'll be taking on a different role here which everyone is assumes he'll excell at, yet we have no evidence of that. He's spent all his pro career eating blocks and stuffing the run. Yet he's played next to the one of the most dominant pass rushers in the game. Wouldn't we expect that to free him up a little?

I just find the instant acceptance of his as-yet unseen pass-rushing prowess to be laughable. I hope it works out but it's far from a sure thing.