SportsWrath

Did We Overpay for Canty??

Guest StrahansGap

If he performs from day 1 through the life of his contract, although high priced, I don't think overpaid. (Even though I think a vast majority of athletes in general are overpaid, but that's a different subject). If he comes out slow, gets sidelined for 'turf toe' and dandruff, and then all of a sudden has a fantastic year the final year of his contract, then yeah, we got screwed. I think only time will give the real answer to your question. I'd be interested in what Dallas fans think about losing him though.

well we're going to have to win with defense because the offense doesn't look great status quo- wa wa

With the defense we'll be trotting out there, I think the offense only needs to worry about scoring about 14 to 17 points to get a 'W'. This might be the kind of defense that is mentioned alongside the '85 Bears, '86 Giants, and 2000 Ravens. I'm talking BETTER than last year's Steelers team. All-time good. A lot of it will have to do with health, but we are officially loaded.

If he performs from day 1 through the life of his contract, although high priced, I don't think overpaid. (Even though I think a vast majority of athletes in general are overpaid, but that's a different subject). If he comes out slow, gets sidelined for 'turf toe' and dandruff, and then all of a sudden has a fantastic year the final year of his contract, then yeah, we got screwed. I think only time will give the real answer to your question. I'd be interested in what Dallas fans think about losing him though.

From the ones I've talked to they all pretty much agree that it really sucks that they let him walk and he is a really good player, plus a pretty big team guy as well. They all try to play it off though like he has some major fault "Oh I really wish we kept him....but...but..he wont do well in your system/he is to big to be a DT" that type of thing.

All in all the ones I've talked to anyway are pissed we landed him and are fearing for Romo with Tuck/Osi/Kiwi/Robbins/Alford/Cofield/Bernard/Canty :drool: :drool:(makes me drool just thinking about it) on our team.

With the defense we'll be trotting out there, I think the offense only needs to worry about scoring about 14 to 17 points to get a 'W'. This might be the kind of defense that is mentioned alongside the '85 Bears, '86 Giants, and 2000 Ravens. I'm talking BETTER than last year's Steelers team. All-time good. A lot of it will have to do with health, but we are officially loaded.

Let's take it down a notch Jim. Ross is iffy at CB right now, no one knows who our safeties are, and we're still basically missing an LB right now.

Top 3 defense? Most likely. But I doubt they will make it to all-time status. It's one helluva rotation on d-line.

Let's take it down a notch Jim. Ross is iffy at CB right now, no one knows who our safeties are, and we're still basically missing an LB right now.

Top 3 defense? Most likely. But I doubt they will make it to all-time status. It's one helluva rotation on d-line.

Well gateb, if Osi comes back 100% with him and Tuck on the ends it's going to be frightening. The addition with Boley is huge and Phillips and Johnson are our safeties, and Phillips looks like he's a great player, Webster is starting to be recognized by unbiased parties as a shut-down corner, and even on a down year Ross was pretty good... throw in Terrell Thomas and Dockery as our depth at corner, and your right, we are missing a LB and some depth at safety. Come on, gateb, that is pretty sick! Even if they moved Chase Blackburn to SLB that would be sick. But don't be surprised if they wind up with Brian Cushing to play that spot, my friend! It could happen. No matter what with the way this defensive line looks, opposing QB's will be losing sleep over having to face this defense next year.

Guest StrahansGap
I do not. Discuss....

C'mon man. $42 million dollars for 6 years for a guy that nobody really knew? I remember playing against him but I never remembered myself saying, "WOW, that Canty guy sure is a great defensive player. I wish I had him". It just seems like a shitload of money to me. We have other needs that have not been addressed....and the money might not be there when we need to because we're going to have 15 defensive lineman!

Well gateb, if Osi comes back 100% with him and Tuck on the ends it's going to be frightening. The addition with Boley is huge and Phillips and Johnson are our safeties, and Phillips looks like he's a great player, Webster is starting to be recognized by unbiased parties as a shut-down corner, and even on a down year Ross was pretty good... throw in Terrell Thomas and Dockery as our depth at corner, and your right, we are missing a LB and some depth at safety. Come on, gateb, that is pretty sick! Even if they moved Chase Blackburn to SLB that would be sick. But don't be surprised if they wind up with Brian Cushing to play that spot, my friend! It could happen. No matter what with the way this defensive line looks, opposing QB's will be losing sleep over having to face this defense next year.

It's gonna be great but I think all time defenses are made through outstanding linebacking. Our LBers look to be improved next year but won't be at a level that will place us among the all time defenses.

Trust me Jim I'm as excited as you right now. I can't wait for football season.

C'mon man. $42 million dollars for 6 years for a guy that nobody really knew? I remember playing against him but I never remembered myself saying, "WOW, that Canty guy sure is a great defensive player. I wish I had him". It just seems like a shitload of money to me. We have other needs that have not been addressed....and the money might not be there when we need to because we're going to have 15 defensive lineman!

$42 million after incentives. What is it only 17 million actually guaranteed?

I watched that free-agency NFL total access segment today and they said something really interesting. We were in the hunt for Haynesworth and were pretty much in the running to land the guy when the Redskins decided to go shit fuck crazy and sign him for $100 million. Know they figure we offered him around 65-70 million and since we didnt land him we now had the much money free to do what we wanted with it. I guess we basically took that money we were going to offer Haynesworth with and used it to sign Boley/Bernard/Canty with and we still havent used what they figured we were going to offer.

Either way we we're going to be spending alot of money in the last couple of days, either it on one player(Haynesworth) or the three that we landed. Personally I'm happy with the three that we got.

It's gonna be great but I think all time defenses are made through outstanding linebacking. Our LBers look to be improved next year but won't be at a level that will place us among the all time defenses.

Trust me Jim I'm as excited as you right now. I can't wait for football season.

True that, my friend! :cheers:

I'm just in awe of Jerry Reese right now. Essentially our defense that was pretty damn good last year is gaining Michael Boley, Rocky Bernard, Chris Canty, and Osi Umenyiora, and we're not done. Plus a weak link or two is leaving (Butler) and we are letting the studs take on bigger roles (Phillips).

If we land a stud SLB in the draft or free agency I'm going to do back flips. Not for nothing but can you imagine if Reese traded a several picks for us to move way up to grab Aaron Curry? It won't happen but I'm just dreaming here, getting carried away in all this excitement! WOOO!

I can't help but be a little mad that the chances are going even higher of 2011 being a strike season. This team has a chance to make its mark on the league for the next 4-5 yrs IMO. It's hard to project that ahead but I don't want a strike getting in the way of what we're building.

True that, my friend! :cheers:

I'm just in awe of Jerry Reese right now. Essentially our defense that was pretty damn good last year is gaining Michael Boley, Rocky Bernard, Chris Canty, and Osi Umenyiora, and we're not done. Plus a weak link or two is leaving (Butler) and we are letting the studs take on bigger roles (Phillips).

If we land a stud SLB in the draft or free agency I'm going to do back flips. Not for nothing but can you imagine if Reese traded a several picks for us to move way up to grab Aaron Curry? It won't happen but I'm just dreaming here, getting carried away in all this excitement! WOOO!

Please have the paramedics on standby :P

A bit premature to be making this into a topic since he hasn't played a down yet. On paper, its a solid signing that provides us quality veteran depth that we definitely need. A six year contract for a 26 year old player means we are getting him in his prime.

Really? I remember him sacking Eli numerous times...

don't think we overpaid i think it means, i think it means Robbins may be released

Forigve me if I'm not up to date, but where was it stated and why would the Giants release Fred Robbins? The guy is the best player you never hear about on this team. I hope it's not the case. Anyway, about Canty's deal. It's all about the guaranteed money. For him to earn the entire 42 million, he will definitely have earned it if you know what I mean. I thought after signing Bernard they may have hit the brakes but the Giants have gone one step further and solidified what was already the best defensive line in football when at full strength. Canty's ability to play the end gives the team an opportunity to keep everyone fresh and the luxury of perhaps moving Kiwi around with different packages. Needless to say, it's a great start and I couldn't be happier. One thing though, Boley and Bernard were arrested for domestic disputes against their wives/girlfriends. That is the one thing I can't tolerate players doing. I hope it's behind both of them but I hate seeing that. Anyway, a great job by Reese so far.

There are concerns that Robbins wore down by the second half of the season. I hope we don't release Robbins because we have a hellova DT rotation with Alford, Bernard, Colfield, and Canty. Robbins is also in the last year of his contract so if he does stay for this season, it will most likely be his last with the Giants.

Forigve me if I'm not up to date, but where was it stated and why would the Giants release Fred Robbins? The guy is the best player you never hear about on this team. I hope it's not the case. Anyway, about Canty's deal. It's all about the guaranteed money. For him to earn the entire 42 million, he will definitely have earned it if you know what I mean. I thought after signing Bernard they may have hit the brakes but the Giants have gone one step further and solidified what was already the best defensive line in football when at full strength. Canty's ability to play the end gives the team an opportunity to keep everyone fresh and the luxury of perhaps moving Kiwi around with different packages. Needless to say, it's a great start and I couldn't be happier. One thing though, Boley and Bernard were arrested for domestic disputes against their wives/girlfriends. That is the one thing I can't tolerate players doing. I hope it's behind both of them but I hate seeing that. Anyway, a great job by Reese so far.