SportsWrath

Just in: GIANTS INK CANTY !!!!

BleedinBlue

New York Giants sign defensive lineman Chris Canty

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Sunday March 01, 2009, 4:59 PM

Three players in, three players added.

The Giants have plugged another free-agent piece into their defensive front today by signing lineman Chris Canty to an undisclosed contract, the team announced moments ago. The NFL Network is reporting it's a 6-year, $42-million deal with $17.5 million guaranteed. The former Cowboy will join LB Michael Boley and DT Rocky Bernard - both signed yesterday - as integral members of the Giants' front seven.

Canty, 26, is the biggest of the three additions - and the biggest surprise. A 3-4 defensive end for four seasons since the Cowboys drafted him in the fourth round of the 2005 draft, the 6-7, 304-pound Canty will now likely switch to tackle in the Giants' 4-3 scheme. It won't be that big of an adjustment, though Canty will now have to get used to playing over opposing guards instead of tackles. He had 10 sacks (6 1/2 combined in the past two seasons) in his four years with Dallas. There's also a chance the Giants could line Canty up at end in some situations.

With a contract like the one he just sign, Canty will surely be a starter, which means either Fred Robbins or Barry Cofield will soon be in a backup role as part of a tackle rotation.

Robbins was one of the Giants' best defensive players through the first six games of last season, as he equaled his career-high of 5 1/2 sacks. But Robbins didn't register a sack the rest of the season and didn't get nearly as much penetration after suffering two broken hands and a shoulder injury. Robbins also injured his knee in the playoff loss to the Eagles and, like Cofield, he recently had his knee scoped.

Cofield is expected to be 100 percent by late spring and Robbins should also be recovered in the next few months. But Robbins will be 32 next month and will be a free agent after this upcoming season, so he might be the one losing his starting job for Canty and his days with the Giants could be numbered. And Jay Alford, a third-round pick in 2007 who's also the short snapper for field goals, is now seemingly fifth on the depth chart at tackle.

The Giants have plugged another free-agent piece into their defensive front today by signing lineman Chris Canty to an undisclosed contract, the team announced moments ago. The NFL Network is reporting it's a 6-year, $42-million deal with $17.5 million guaranteed. The former Cowboy will join LB Michael Boley and DT Rocky Bernard - both signed yesterday - as integral members of the Giants' front seven.

Canty, 26, is the biggest of the three additions - and the biggest surprise. A 3-4 defensive end for four seasons since the Cowboys drafted him in the fourth round of the 2005 draft, the 6-7, 304-pound Canty will now likely switch to tackle in the Giants' 4-3 scheme. It won't be that big of an adjustment, though Canty will now have to get used to playing over opposing guards instead of tackles. He had 10 sacks (6 1/2 combined in the past two seasons) in his four years with Dallas. There's also a chance the Giants could line Canty up at end in some situations.

With a contract like the one he just sign, Canty will surely be a starter, which means either Fred Robbins or Barry Cofield will soon be in a backup role as part of a tackle rotation.

Robbins was one of the Giants' best defensive players through the first six games of last season, as he equaled his career-high of 5 1/2 sacks. But Robbins didn't register a sack the rest of the season and didn't get nearly as much penetration after suffering two broken hands and a shoulder injury. Robbins also injured his knee in the playoff loss to the Eagles and, like Cofield, he recently had his knee scoped.

Cofield is expected to be 100 percent by late spring and Robbins should also be recovered in the next few months. But Robbins will be 32 next month and will be a free agent after this upcoming season, so he might be the one losing his starting job for Canty and his days with the Giants could be numbered. And Jay Alford, a third-round pick in 2007 who's also the short snapper for field goals, is now seemingly fifth on the depth chart at tackle.

Aaaaaah, now I'm starting to get it. :clap:

I heart Jerry Reece

i hope tuck or osi dont get pissed about this guy making more money than them

It doesn't matter. Everyone needs to honor with they sign for.. and they should be wise enough to know salaries only go up with time.

It doesn't matter. Everyone needs to honor with they sign for.. and they should be wise enough to know salaries only go up with time.

yeah well this isnt candyland and people do get pissed about shit like that and sometimes hold out

Salaries are going up much further than the cap is Nas. Osi has every right to be worried.

However apart from Robbins, it's Kiwi that I think gets squeezed when it's contract time.

yeah well this isnt candyland and people do get pissed about shit like that and sometimes hold out

I don't think any of the players are on the Defensive Line has a screwed up head and lack of character as to attempt anything that stupid.

I don't think any of the players are on the Defensive Line has a screwed up head and lack of character as to attempt anything that stupid.

osi's complained about money before so i wouldnt say its impossible

capt.86a3b649eb284039bee57ef0fd6b4c32.giants_bernard_football_ny159.jpg

:glare: :rolleyes:

Dallas.

There's also a chance the Giants could line Canty up at end in some situations.

I guarantee you Canty will be lining up at end quite often. His wingspan (6-7) and his performance against the Giants last year no doubt has Coughlin thinking of using Canty at end quite a bit.

I love this signing....our DT position is set, and we have extra depth at defensive end.

And now, finally, we have a LB in Boley that can provide a speed rush, too.

I'm calling it right now: Justin Tuck has a 20 sack year thanks to all this new help.

I guarantee you Canty will be lining up at end quite often. His wingspan (6-7) and his performance against the Giants last year no doubt has Coughlin thinking of using Canty at end quite a bit.

I love this signing....our DT position is set, and we have extra depth at defensive end.

And now, finally, we have a LB in Boley that can provide a speed rush, too.

I'm calling it right now: Justin Tuck has a 20 sack year thanks to all this new help.

:rock: