SportsWrath

Tony Gonzalaz

Lughead

Tony Gonzalez: I'd Love to Be a Giant

But can New York make it happen?

benton_46x46.jpg Posted on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 12:21 PM

by: Dan Benton Tagged as: NFL , New York Giants , Tony Gonzalez

The idea of Tony Gonzalez possibly being traded to the New York Giants is not a new one.

A potential deal was discussed in early October, but General Manager Jerry Reese and the Kansas City Chiefs were unable to agree to terms. Then, shortly after Big Blue's loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, Jay Glazer of FoxSports suggested that New York rekindle those talks, and do all they can to secure the Hall of Fame-bound tight end.

tony-gonzalez-200rb.jpgNow, with Super Bowl XLIII finally in the rearview mirror and the offseason rapidly approaching, Gonzalez has spoken out in support of the idea.

"They've got a good group. Hopefully, they re-sign some of those players they have. If the Giants were interested, I would definitely entertain that, there is no doubt about that. They are a good football team," he said.

There's no question that the Giants could use some skillful hands on the offensive side of the ball, especially with Plaxico Burress hanging in limbo. But just how much would it take for them to acquire the service of the soon-to-be 33-year-old?

If Kansas City were only asking for a mid-round draft pick or two mid-round draft picks, a deal is likely to get done. However, if they're expecting a first- or second-round pick, there's no way Jerry Reese even entertains a second phone call.

It will be interesting to see how the New York Giants approach this, or whether they even entertain the idea at all. If nothing else, at least it's provided Giants fans with a little something to talk about heading into the offseason.

Maybe a 2nd and a Moss

that's not a blockbuster deal if you ask me. He's good, but old. I think the wear and tear on them necessitates that you draft and build not buy old. They just get hurt too often; all of them. Besides, i like what I saw our of Darcy and obviously Boss continues to mature. We need help at WR, let's fix that and get a real Z up in here!

I'm torn on this one. if the deal had been done the first time around, I don't think we'd have lost to Philly in the playoffs, nor Arizona. Pitt would've been a fight, but a winnable game. Now, I think it's too late. We've got a lot to work with in the draft and we can build on what we have with good young talent. Maybe a little help in fa.

I'm torn on this one. if the deal had been done the first time around, I don't think we'd have lost to Philly in the playoffs, nor Arizona. Pitt would've been a fight, but a winnable game. Now, I think it's too late. We've got a lot to work with in the draft and we can build on what we have with good young talent. Maybe a little help in fa.

I'm with you on that. Why go after him now? To me it's too late and would be pretty dumb.

I'm with you on that. Why go after him now? To me it's too late and would be pretty dumb.

Because even at his age he's a very good receiver, the blocking is a bonus. If we have Tony for a couple years, that would give us time to find a top notch wr, either in FA or in the draft this year with a couple years to let him grow. And hopefully a tall receiver.

I would've rather had him half way during last season. WHat happens if we suck next year?

What does that matter?. If you get the get the guy now, you have a chance to suck less.

He didn't get a whole lot worse in 7-8 games that he's not worth the effort now.

ive been told its at like 7mil

not sure though

Tony Gonzalez contract: 1/12/2006: Signed a five-year, $35 million contract. The deal includes $17.75 million guaranteed. 2009: $4 million, 2010: $4.5 million, 2011: $5.75 million, 2012: Free Agent

Source: rotoworld

I think the contract is the highest by salary contract for a TE in the NFL. I did some digging on rotoworld and he makes more per annum than Gates, Witten, Cooley, Heap, et al.

that's not a blockbuster deal if you ask me. He's good, but old. I think the wear and tear on them necessitates that you draft and build not buy old. They just get hurt too often; all of them. Besides, i like what I saw our of Darcy and obviously Boss continues to mature. We need help at WR, let's fix that and get a real Z up in here!

sounds a lot like your wife

*squirt*

Because even at his age he's a very good receiver, the blocking is a bonus. If we have Tony for a couple years, that would give us time to find a top notch wr, either in FA or in the draft this year with a couple years to let him grow. And hopefully a tall receiver.

the dog would have to agree...gonzalez gives more credibility to the TE position (Boss hasn't sold the dog as of yet), and he immediately bolsters the teams passing game...a good TE makes a world of difference for a QB, and creates more single coverage opportunities on the outside...he wouldn't cure the WR issues, but it helps...

Boss has become a nice red zone reciever, but Gonzalez is a downfield threat at the Te position. Think Shockey 2002, only with hands. He had 90 some odd catches this year with no QB to speak of and not much help at WR. I think in hindsight he would have been a good pickup this past season, especially when numbnuts shot himself. .

As for the cap hit its not awful, I would think though a guy that wants to win would be willing for some restructuring if he truly wants to get to what on paper is a better team in NY.

If it can be done I am all for, adds another dimension to the passing game.