SportsWrath

The Official Keyshawn Johnson Thread

BiG PiMPiN

So, of the big three free agents left that the Giants are intrested in (Keyshawn, LaVar and Grady) we'll land Grady (if we're "lucky" <_< ) I think Will Demps is a bigger signing than Grady Jackson.

But, signing Jackson makes the most cap sense and not to mention the draft is deep in LBers. If we sign a new DT for a year or two we did well enough.

In the wacky off-season, I have a feeling this isn't the end of negotiations. If we sign Lavar, I think Keyshawn will want to be part of a franchise that has the components to definitely make it to the Super Bowl. And if he doesn't get the money he wants from any team, then he may take a pay cut to play with us.

Keyshawn and Giants put talks on hold

Mar 21, 2006

By MSGNetwork.com

MSG's Anthony Fucilli is reporting that the Giants have put talks with free agent Keyshawn Johnson on hold as Johnson is not satisfied with the offer New York has made.

According to Fooch, the Giants and Johnson were close to a deal, but the wide receiver wants to seek out better offers from other teams, specifically Carolina and Seattle.

I believe the deal he wanted was for 3 years with 3 mill each year. The Giants wouldn't budge. I really don't care if the Giants get him or not. He has both positives and negatives, but i believe the negatives outweigh.

He would be a great possession reciever to go over the middle and rely on in the redzone, but another big personallity. This guy doesn't think he gets the ball enough as a #1. Can you imagine him erupting in Eli nd Coughlin as a #2 or 3 reciever. Not a good fit.

On a side note, I hope these talks whip Burress' ass back into shape and realize that we aren't content with only him and make him realize that we are looking for other options.

Let's get real, Burress is not going to be threatened for half a second if we sign KJ.

Guest Carbo
In the wacky off-season, I have a feeling this isn't the end of negotiations. If we sign Lavar, I think Keyshawn will want to be part of a franchise that has the components to definitely make it to the Super Bowl. And if he doesn't get the money he wants from any team, then he may take a pay cut to play with us.
Which is precisely why he is exploring his options with Seattle. Oh, wait. . .you were talking about the Giants?

Guest Lockhart
I think Seattle is going to give him what he wants so I expect him to sign there :TD:

Carolina is perfect for him opposite Steve Smith - he will catch 70 and start.

I don't really understand our interest in Keyshawn if he isn't going to be a #1 or #2. Burress is definitely a top 2 WR on our Giants and I can't see Toomer getting dropped to #3. So I'm just not sure where they were planning on putting Keyshawn if he were to sign here.

I definitely think that more effort should be directed in the direction of LB or DT. Keyshawn would be a nice addition, but I can't help but think that there are other priorities.

When Jon Gruden sent Johnson home from the Bucs with a bad attitude for the final six games of the 2003 season, Barber's twin brother Ronde - Tampa Bay's All-Pro cornerback - defended Gruden's decision, saying it was "necessary." The following season, Johnson verbally attacked Ronde Barber in an Internet interview.

"Ronde Barber's an Uncle Tom," Johnson said. "They'll cut him one day like they do everybody else, but he's trying to be political and kiss Gruden's butt."

When you attack one of the Barber brothers, you attack them both, and Tiki immediately came to Ronde's defense and went after Johnson. "It just proves to me what kind of person he is," Tiki said then. "I have no use for people like that."

Tiki Barber also said at the time: "Last year, Keyshawn quit on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He stopped caring about the team. I don't care what anyone has to say individually about anyone else, but if you're not caring about winning for your team, then you are of no use.... You show me the strength of character in someone in what they do for a living and I'll respect what he has to say off the field."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/401898p-340443c.html

Guest nosebleed

By PAUL SCHWARTZ NYPOST.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEYSHAWN JOHNSON

Email Archives

Print Reprint

Feeds Newsletters

March 22, 2006 -- If Keyshawn Johnson comes aboard as one of the more unlikely players to ever wear a Giants uniform, more than eyebrows will be raised. The controversial Johnson has a history with one of the most prominent Giants - and it's not good.

"He hated my brother," Tiki Barber yesterday told The Post. "He called him an Uncle Tom."

That incendiary epithet was uttered in 2003, when the lanky receiver was feuding with Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden and eventually was banished from the team. When Tampa Bay cornerback Ronde Barber, Tiki's identical twin brother, sided with Gruden, Johnson let him have it. In turn, Tiki Barber came to his brother's defense and ripped Johnson.

"I ripped his ignorance," corrected Tiki Barber, who explained that Johnson had no clue what the literary meaning of "Uncle Tom" actually represented.

The Giants have what a team official terms "legitimate" interest in Johnson, who at times in his 10-year career has been called "Me-shawn" for actions often branded as selfish. Johnson, 34 in July, is available because the Cowboys last week released him hours after the Eagles dumped Terrell Owens. Saturday, Dallas signed Owens to a three-year, $25 million deal.

Johnson arrived here Monday night, had dinner with members of the Giants coaching staff including Tom Coughlin, and yesterday had a physical in the morning at Giants Stadium. He made his exit without signing a contract.

It is believed Johnson wants a multi-year deal averaging about $2.5 million per year. If Johnson wants a guaranteed starting spot, the Giants probably aren't for him as long as Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer are on the scene. Johnson is expected to make other visits, with New England likely the next destination.

Would Tiki Barber have a major problem with Johnson slipping on a Giants uniform?

"Not as far as I'm concerned," Barber said.

Barber is worried what effect a signing by Johnson would have on Toomer, one of Barber's closest friends on the team. Toomer, who like Johnson is a 10-year NFL veteran, parted with his feature-receiver status last season with the addition of Burress. Toomer a year ago caught 60 passes. Johnson led the Cowboys in receptions with 71 but averaged a career-low 11.8 yards per catch.

"Amani is one of the guys who I know gives a [bleep]," Barber said. "He cares. I know what Amani is about, and that's what I want in a teammate. Not saying that Keyshawn is not that way. I just don't know."

It is believed Toomer is in no danger of getting purged from the roster at the expense of Johnson. The Giants do not have a proven third receiver, and the coaching staff envisions a Burress-Toomer-Johnson trio creating matchup problems for opponents.

More than half of Johnson's catches (46) last season went for first downs, and that is where he remains a threat. His great size (6-4, 211 pounds) and willingness to take a hit while venturing across the middle is a great benefit to a team, especially on third down.

"He's still a good player," Barber said. "He'll go across the middle; he's as tough as they come."

Barber, though, does not see where Johnson fits within a roster that includes Toomer and has no proven speed threat at receiver.

"He's not a speed guy," Barber said of Johnson. "Keeping all things equal and the roster the way it is, he's really not our need. We need a guy who can stretch the field and he's not that. The third receiver is a guy who is a game changer in some ways and also contributes on special teams. If it comes down to numbers, how can we keep Amani and Keyshawn? There's just too many people to dress and not have a special-teams contributor."

Johnson lugs baggage to the doorstep wherever he goes. He penned an autobiography after his 1996 rookie year with the Jets entitled "Just Give Me The Damn Ball!" Fiercely competitive, Johnson has been a disruptive influence in more than one locale. In 2003 he was healthy but nevertheless deactivated for the last six games of the season by the Buccaneers, who tired of his selfish antics.

The giants signing an aging 34 yr old demented personality is

rolling the dice and praying that it works out. :furious:

He is little TO ! Doesnt have the impact or the mouth but can

be a real pain in the ass and also very productive on the field.

BUT the Giants need a DT and OLB getting a 3rd WR to use

along with all the other weapons that we have should not

be such a pressing need! :ph34r:

If you have been around long enough you understand that the

GIANTS = DEFENSE if we are to return to greatness again :flex:

then we need to forget about another play maker on offense

and put together the best dam defense se can !!

Selfish players dont belong on this team !!! <_<

Sign Grady Jackson DT and draft the best LB's and defensive players! :rock:

Totally agreed. :clap:

Guest Nutty Sack

Couldn't have said it better myself !!

Guest nosebleed

This chump reportedly turned down a contract of 3 million per. Now, I'm trying to think who has less brains, Meshawn, 34 in July, turning down 3 million per, or the dope offering that contract for a 34 year old turd.

Ernie, wake the fuck up, forget this piece of shit and seek defensive help, last checked, it is lacking at certain positions.

This chump reportedly turned down a contract of 3 million per. Now, I'm trying to think who has less brains, Meshawn, 34 in July, turning down 3 million per, or the dope offering that contract for a 34 year old turd.

Ernie, wake the fuck up, forget this piece of shit and seek defensive help, last checked, it is lacking at certain positions.

your right !

ernie offering 3mil per is insane and now we have to

question his ability and mental health!

how come i see the answers and everyone else doesnt !! :P

Guest nosebleed

If there is any sign of Ernie in failing mental health, this bullshit with Meshawn is evidence. Offering a 34 year old malcontent 3 million per to come in for the third receiver spot. What is this dude smoking?? :drool:

who the fuck is gonna start at DT ??

Fred Robins is suspect with his weight and TC problems

Joseph is inconsistant

Kendrick Allen I like but may not be the type of player who can be a starter

Ducket is the same as K. Allen

We lost Clancy !

Am i forgetting anyone??

WHo is gonna start at these 2 positions???

Meanwhile we are worried about the 3rd WR spot???

We offer 3 mil to me-shawn ?? what the hell is goin on with ernie?? :furious:

GIANTS = DEFENSE the better wake the Fuck up !!!! :ph34r:

Guest Nutty Sack

Ernie needs to prop up his QB pick from 2004 and is showing desperation to do so. If he doesn't spend the balance of the cap room on defense, he's going to kill whatever is left of his creditbility. Let some other moronic GM pay Meshawn the millions he wants. We have more pressing needs on the other side of the ball.

Guest nosebleed
Ernie needs to prop up his QB pick from 2004 and is showing desperation to do so. If he doesn't spend the balance of the cap room on defense, he's going to kill whatever is left of his creditbility. Let some other moronic GM pay Meshawn the millions he wants. We have more pressing needs on the other side of the ball.

Correct, Ernie is nervous about his 54 million dollar investment and is seeking assitance from 34 year old malcontents, offering 3 million per, what a complete joke.

Paul Schwartz is a dimwit. He states Keyshawn is seeking 2.5 million per year.

Keyshawn's exact quote when released from the Cowboys went something along the lines of:

"I know what I'm worth, and it ain't 2.5 million per year!"

Paul Schwartz is a dimwit. He states Keyshawn is seeking 2.5 million per year.

Keyshawn's exact quote when released from the Cowboys went something along the lines of:

"I know what I'm worth, and it ain't 2.5 million per year!"

For once MeShawn spoke the truth. He is not worth $2.5 million. His value is much less. :LMAO::clap:

I get the feeling Tiki just would honestly hate to have him on the team...no matter how good MEshawn is.

But, we need to get back to defense...We still need at least one DT and hopefully an impact LB...Arrington...